Monday, October 1, 2018

*Monday Memos*

*MONDAY MEMOS*

   
 (If pictures are too small, just click to enlarge) 
Weekly recap of my rather crazy, insane, but fun and rewarding life!


dear monday, I got in five miles today.  I came home and practiced the harp for a good two hours since I really haven't practiced much all week. I've got to stop doing that!  But I feel like I am really improving more so than in the past, so that is good.  I am writing this so much later that I can't remember much of what I did today.  Dave and I did have a Yahtzee contest for FHE and I won!  Woo-hoo!  We had a good roast dinner as well.  
Image result for handheld yahtzee

dear tuesday, I got up and practiced harp for a good hour and then got ready and headed to my lesson.  Traffic is bad at that time of morning. I started at 9 a.m.  My lesson went well and I felt good about it. I stopped at a new donut place in Kaysville called Jack's Donuts.  The inside is purple and their boxes are also purple and they were established in 1961.  Cool.  I was established the same year.  LOL
Image result for jack's donuts
Image result for jack's donuts kaysville
I then went to Twisted Sugar to get some treats for Carson.  
It was just him and Sky home today.  He was so cute as always.  He rode his bike for me and gave me a ton of pictures he had made for me.  We played for a bit and then I left so he could get to school.  He has afternoon kindergarten.  
I headed to Ogden and ran a few errands and then came home and cleaned and wanted to blog but it never happened.  There is a chill in the air now and I am not looking forward to the cold!

dear wednesday, I headed to the temple at 5 a.m.  Today was record breaking as far as how many youth showed up to do Baptisms.  We had 100 and then I never heard the final count.  When I walked in there were four huge bins of laundry from last night.  We usually have two and so we started behind.  It was crazy. We ran out of certain sizes of baptism suits and towels but Jean stayed calm and it amazingly all worked out.  Josh was a hoot and Linda subbed today and she was a blast as always.  I hope my back can hold out on this because it hasn't been feeling like it's healing all that much.  Then Robin text me to go running this morning when I got home.  
We had to stop and wait with Jack M. for his mom because he had escaped the school and everyone was looking for him.  We ended up going almost 7 and holy cow, I paid for it the rest of the day.  My pain was shooting down my leg and in my piraformis.  On a scale of  1-10, it was a 10. I was hurting. I stretched some and had Dave massage it a bit, but I could get no relief.  I guess it was the combo of the temple and running.  I actually ran the entire time and lately I have been run/walking since the half.  It is very frustrating!  But, hey I can still run!  I might pay a high price after, but at least I CAN!  Robin and I talked for quite a while after.  She is quitting her job.  I begged Dave for a leg/piraformis massage.  
Image result for painful piraformis clip art
He gave me five minutes and let me tell you those five minutes were heaven.  I was in so much pain I was near tears.  I am very frustrated.  I haven't felt the pain quite this bad since I first had my MRI. 
Image result for PAIN CLIP ART
Taylor was here as well as the fridge repairman (finally!).  I showered and then went to Sherrie's to help her start a blog for her missionary son. I was there for quite a while and when I got home Taylor had left.  I felt bad.  I worked on a bunch of stuff and still couldn't find much relief on the back issues. I also felt I was trying to get a migraine because my vision was weird all day. It held off though thankfully.  
I still didn't hear from Boston.  Today is usually the day, but it may be Friday now.  I am not betting on it, but it would be nice to just know.  This was on the BAA FB page:
We are nearing the conclusion of our Boston Marathon registration process for qualified runners, and will be notifying acceptances and non-acceptances beginning later this week. Unfortunately, due to the high demand for entries, the B.A.A. is unable to accept all runners who applied. A small percentage of applicants from Week Two will be accepted.

No matter if you registered during Week One or Week Two, as long as you have a Registration ID Number your application has been received. During verification, each submission is unique: the speed at which your application is verified is based on a number of factors, and can vary widely from entry to entry (it does not matter where you qualified, or by how much). We ask that you do not contact the Boston Athletic Association registration office unless you are directly requested to do so by a member of our team.
The B.A.A. appreciates the many positive responses that we have received by email and posted on social media. Interest in the 2019 Boston Marathon is very high, and we applaud all qualified runners for their determination to run Boston.
This is a good read from Runner's World about the anxiety ridden "squeakers" or BQ Squeakers HERE.

dear thursday, I got in a short walk.  My back is not doing well.  I think that run yesterday coupled with doing laundry for almost four hours at the temple, took it's toll.  I'm pretty discouraged. I had big plans today to make homemade bread for Dave's parents and for some others but that didn't happen.  Our fridge repairman came again and was here for another almost three hours. I ended up chatting with him for quite a while because he is a runner.  Instant bond.  Yeah.  Haha  Dave and I made the pork-chop bake for his parents during his lunch and I made a treat and by the time the repairman was gone it was too late to make bread.  
Image result for discouraged clip art
While he was there, I found out that I didn't make the cut-off for Boston!  I was prepared for that.  I knew deep down there was no way.  The cut off this year is unbelievable!  It's a 4:52!  That means you had to run 4 minutes and 52 seconds FASTER than your qualifying time!  Sheesh!
Over 7000 qualifiers turned down!
Well, it's official!!!

I was off by ONE minute and 52 seconds.  When I think, "I am sure I could have been just a minute and 52 seconds faster!", I have to remember that the race I BQ'd at, I had given it my all!  I really don't know where I would have come up with that much time.  It sounds like so little time, but when you are running a full marathon, it is about seconds.  I am just glad I didn't miss it by only a few seconds.  That would have hurt!  But the inter-webs were going NUTS!  Runners were NOT happy about it.  Over 7000 runners that qualified and registered were turned away!  That is a record!  Last year it was 5000 and it's usually in the 1000's.  And the other kick is they RAISED THE STANDARDS BY 5 MINUTES again!!!  Yep!  Now, it's even harder.  It keeps getting harder every year!  I am bit sad about that because with my back issues, I don't know how I will get even faster, but I still want it and I am determined to get back there.  
Image result for disappointed clip art
I spent an hour or so online reading the fallout comments and so much complaining that they should get rid of the charity runners and only allow qualifiers and they need to do better at catching cheaters and not allow certain BQ courses that are too easy (is ANY marathon easy? Geeze!) and the times are too hard and now they just got even harder and on and on and on.... I got a little flustered. So, I posted this on the Boston page: 

Jodi VanDenakker Wilding And this is why it's the coveted Boston Marathon! We wouldn't want it to be easy! Congrats to those who got in and for the rest of us who missed it this year, let's try harder next year! We can do this! Don't qive up your chase for the unicorn!🦄🦄🦄 #NotBitterJustBetter

Manage


LikeShow more reactions
Reply1dEdited


Amanda Scott Haselden Like I said to Steve Smith's comment, sorry you missed, but this is a great attitude! Thanks for posting! We all want to blame someone, but no goal worth reaching ever comes easy. Way to press on and work harder to chase that dream. Thanks again!

Manage


LikeShow more rea
Dean Vandenakker Sorry Jodi , we know how much you wanted this and how hard you trained, but as we all know things happen for a reason. For one , your body needs more time to heal and your desire will continue to get stronger. ( if that’s possible )

LikeShow more reactions
Reply1d

Jodi VanDenakker Wilding Dean Vandenakker ahhhhh, thanks Pa!!! They just made the qualifying standards harder again but that will make me more determined than ever to catch that unicorn 🦄 again and to heal! Nothing worth having ever comes easy!
I then posted this on the Boston Marathon Training page:


Jodi VanDenakker Wilding As I try to process the Boston news and my disappointment, and as I read all the posts and comments here, the thought keeps coming to me that this IS Boston. Boston is supposed to be tough! It wouldn't be Boston and the most coveted race in the world to run if it were easy! If it were easy, it would lose it's charm and the reason we all want it so bad. Boston is tough no matter how you look at it. Yes, it just got a lot tougher but it IS Boston. And it will only make us work harder which will in turn make us tougher as well. Let's keep chasing that unicorn! 🦄🦄🦄 #wecandothis #unicornsarehardtocatch

Commen

David Scott That’s a great attitude and so sorry you didn’t get in. I commend your spirit and I bet you’ll be there in 2020! Cheers!

Manage


Reply1dEdited

Reply1d

Reply1d

Reply1d

Jodi VanDenakker Wilding Thank you Michael ! I’m more determined than ever because I wa t to run it at least once in good weather! Still have PTSD from last year! Lol
Manage


Violet Vasquez Rucci Hugs, and I will see you in 2020, it's my birthday run!
Manage


Reply1d

Jodi VanDenakker Wilding I will be there! I’ll miss being there this year especially if it’s perfect weather since my first was 2017’s heat wave and then last year’s monsoon! But I’m determined to make it back for your birthday celebration!

Manag

Marty ClarkMarty and 30 others are consistently creating meaningful discussions with their posts. Well said..lets all run harder and stronger and keep trying to Qualify for the Oldest and best Marathon in the world #bostonbbuddies 😎

Manage


Reply1d

Mitra Egbert You are such a beautiful soul, with an amazing spirit, which is the reason you crossed the finish line in less time than would have been otherwise. Your charity towards others is what makes you the amazing person you are! I am going to miss you so much there, but know that you’ll be there next year! Hopefully, I will be too! Love you my friend! ❤️💙💛

Manage


Reply1d

Jodi VanDenakker Wilding Oh thank you so much Mitra! You are much too kind though! I will so miss joining you again next year, but I am determined to be there in 2020! I am going to behave myself and get this dang back healed so I can be speedy like you! Well, okay at least speedy enough to BQ again! Love you too my dear fast road runner and good luck to you in 2019. I will be cheering you on from afar! 💛🦄💙🦄💛

Manage


Reply1d

I just feel like there are too many whiners and complainers and I want to spread the message that instead of getting bitter let's just get better. Get faster!  Easy to say, I know.  I will be wondering why I thought it sounded so easy when I am struggling to cross the line at a 4:00 now!  How will I do that? I have no idea!  I am not sure it's even possible now.  Hopefully, a 4:03 will get me in if the higher time means the buffer isn't so high. The only thing I do wish is that they would let you in IF YOU QUALIFY and get rid of the buffers.  It's so hard to wait and wonder what the cut off will be.  But, I know they have their reasons for that too.  Anyway, now it's as hard to get in as it was from 2003-2012.  My BQ time is 4:05 just like it was then.  Yesterday it was 4:10.  So, that is very discouraging.  BUT, if I can get this back in shape and just do lots of speedwork and have a perfect weather race day, and be in perfect shape on race day....it can be done!  I am not giving up yet!  HERE is an article from Runner's World that was interesting about revising the times.  Apparently MY age group has the hardest qualifying times of ANY other across the board!  Great!  Someone from the BAA PLEASE read that article and do something!  haha  And HERE is another article about the cutoff time this year and the new standards.
Image may contain: one or more people

Am I disappointed?  YES!  VERY!  But, I was prepared and so I am okay. I didn't even cry!  It is hard to have worked SO hard for so long and then to make it in and be a Boston Qualifier and then not be accepted to run.  THAT is hard.  But, I DID BQ and I will be grateful for that!  It is what it is and I must accept it and move on.  I really pray my body will hold up for me because I am not done with Boston.  I LOVE BOSTON!  I want to run it again and again and I KNOW I can IF I can get my body to heal!  That will be the toughest part of all now.  Discouraged.  Absolutely.  But, I have found discouragement can be a great motivator if you use it right.  I intend to do that.  The rest, only God knows.
Click to enlarge.

This is an age grade calculator.  It shows how fast I would have ran a full marathon in my prime. It is based on my fastest marathon time which was a 3:58.  It says in my prime I would have ran a 3:11!  Dang!  Why didn't I start running in my prime?  Maybe if I had, I wouldn't be running now. But, I would have been able to run Boston more times I'm sure.  I needed this today to help ease some of the disappointment.

I did the rest of the meal for Dave's parents and did stuff for Vball and then had to get to the church for YW stake Vball.  Ayako was gone again but she had it all set up.  Valerie came to sub and that was fun to have her back. 

dear friday, I got out but my back was not doing well.  I came home and did my PT exercises.  Sometimes doing them is the only time I get relief.
Image result for stretching piriformis clipart
I then practiced the harp and was going to make bread again today but my back was bugging me too much to stand that long.  Sigh....  When it starts to take away your quality of life, then it's a problem.  Maybe I will have to get those injections after all.  Just not sure.  
I got this letter in the mail today and it was one of those tender mercies.  I have been feeling pretty discouraged all week with the Boston news and my back flaring up and my dear friend Mitra who I met at Boston (a fellow runner) sent me the sweetest letter.  Yep, tender mercies are a real thing, so are love notes from heaven when you need them.
And...I found love notes from heaven in other ways this week as well.  I mean come on!  How often can you find heart shaped mud, asphalt and water spots?  I know Heavenly Father loves me and He cares about my feelings enough to send me signs of His love.  I have no doubt where these things come from.  And it makes such a difference when I find them.  These are not just coincidences or whatever some people may claim.  To me, they are a direct message from God.


Scratchers thinks he lives here half the time.  I wish he did actually.  I have no idea who he belongs to, but he kinda likes hanging out here.  He followed me when I left on my run.  He was rubbing all over my legs and I almost tripped.

I ran a couple errands and then Dave and I went to Haden and Kyra's reception.  He is McKay's good bud.  McKay looked really nice. He was a groomsman. We talked to several people while there.  The yard was gorgeous.  Ours needs a lot of work when I compare it to all these wedding reception yards we've been seeing.  
We then went to see the movie Unbroken: Path to Redemption.  It is the second one. I loved it. Dave not so much. In fact, when the flashbacks and all the drinking got intense he decided to leave.  I stayed and watched by myself.  He missed out because the end was incredible.  His loss.  It was pretty sad though watching him return from being a POW in Japan and get his running back to the point he could qualify again for the Olympics and then get injured and being completely unable to run anymore. I felt his pain.  It was sad.  To have something that you love and are good at and then have it taken away due to an injury.  Just seem so wrong, but it is life.  Yep.  We then went and got a mini burger at the Maddox drive in. 
Image result for unbroken path movies

dear saturday, I got out fairly early and got in about five miles of walking. Yep, still just walking.  The pain is not going away and if I run, it's almost unbearable the rest of the day.  It's not been a good week with the injury status.  
I came home and had some goals to accomplish but things happened and people came and I didn't quite get them done.  And that's okay.  People are more important than goals.  And I love that I have people here especially when I don't expect it.  I love having my boys around. I am so grateful and happy they like to be here.  I did get my homemade bread made, though it was several hours later than I planned.  
Taylor and CJ were here for a while and then Sky and Carson showed up.  They all brighten my day!  Grammy tended Carson this afternoon while Sky had an appointment down that way.  I was happy they stopped in.  I played with Carson in the playroom and we both got laughing. He cracks me up.  
These studs didn't want their picture taken.  What is it with boys and pictures?  Carson jumped in and showed them how it's done!  haha  They are cute boys.  I sure do love that CJ.  He is an amazing guy.  I am so grateful Taylor and him are best buds.

dear sunday, I ended up with a heating pad on my back for a couple hours this morning because the pain was pretty bad.  I am getting discouraged.  I think it may be time to go see Dr. Ellis and see if he can help me.  I'm just frustrated that I have basically quit running for the past four months and it feels like it did when I first started this whole thing.  And then to top it all off I listened to a podcast by a doctor who is a runner and he claims that runners take off way too much time for injuries and then certain muscles and bones can never get back to their status before the time off.  Great.  First I barely miss Boston, then they raise the standards so I have to be even faster now, and then I hear that I may never heal back to where I was before because I have taken too much time off to heal!  Lovely. Just lovely.  Been quite the week!  
Image result for sad runnerclip art

I prepared my lesson and Taylor, McKay and CJ were all here and I was so grateful Dave made breakfast because I was in too much pain to even stand that long.  I finally gave in and took some Advil.  I know, I know, I should have done that much sooner, but I just don't want to rely on that.  Sigh...  Church was good. I taught the Sunbeams (I adore them all so much!) and even though we were few in numbers, we had fun.   I actually got to attend RS today because it was the 5th Sunday and so the Primary Presidency took all the kids for Sharing Time so the teachers could attend.  I found out my good friend had a huge flood in their home this week and I had no idea.  I felt so bad for them.  When I got home, Bryce and Hailey were here.  They hung out for a bit.  Bryce made us brownies. Yum.  After a while I headed upstairs to go lay down for a bit because I was literally exhausted since I had been up since 5 thanks to the back pain.  Man, I just want it to heal so I can get back to my life.  Sigh.....  

Check out this apple Dave got from a patient. Wowza!
 dear quotes,


1 comment:

Audrey said...

So sad that you didn't get into Boston, but perhaps it is best with your back hurting so bad. That Carson sure is cute!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails