Monday, October 21, 2013

What Is Your L♥ve Story? ~ Day 15

Dave and I were both attending Weber State University.  I was serving on the Institute LDSSA as a Committee Chairman for High School Relations.  My advisor was Matt Bitner who was serving as a VP on LDSSA.  Matt and I got to be good friends, and even more so after he started dating one of my best friends Lisa Hales.  I was dating one of his good friends, Dean.  We double dated a lot.  We had a lot of fun!  I happened to be waiting for a missionary at the time and so I wasn't letting things progress real fast with Dean.  I liked him and he was a nice guy, but I was "waiting". 

Matt was also good friends with Dave.  They played basketball together.  One day my Committee was in charge of Tuesday Lunch and that day Dave attended it and sat by Matt.  I guess I came over and talked to Matt, though I don't remember that part.  After I left, Dave asked him who I was. So Matt told him and according to Dave he was instantly smitten.  He walked to his car and as he got in the song, "I'd Love You to Want Me" was playing as he turned on his car.  He said he just sat there stunned because that is exactly how he felt. 
When I saw you standing there,
I about fell off my chair.
When you moved your mouth to speak,
I felt the blood run to my feet.

Now it took for me to know,
What you tried so hard not to show.
Something in my soul just cried,
I see the want in your blue eyes.

Baby I'd love you want to me,
The way that I want you,
The way that it should be.
Baby you'd love me to want you,
The way that I want to,
If you'd only let it be.

You told yourself years ago,
You'd never let your feelings show.
The obligation that you'd made,
For the title that they gave.


Matt informed me that he had a really good looking returned missionary friend that wanted to take me out.  He told me his name and pointed him out to me.  So one day in the afternoon after a child development lab I had with Lisa, we headed over to the Institute.  We were turning the corner to head in to the lounge and we walked right past Dave.  I said hi and he smiled and said hi back.  As soon as he was out of ear shot, I grabbed Lisa's arm and said, "That's him! That is who Matt said wants to take me out!".  She said something like,  "Oh my, he is so cute! And tall!".  We went in the ladies room and both squealed.  I was very excited to go out with him.

He asked me out and our first date was on May 16, 1981.  We went to Utah Noodle and then went roller skating at Classic Roller Rink.  I had never eaten at Utah Noodle, but I liked it.  Dave was not a very good roller skater, and I think he planned it that way so he could hold my hand for support!

We continued to date and I continued to date a lot of other guys. He however only dated me.  Eventually I  told Dave that I was waiting for a missionary and I was not going to get serious with anyone.  I remember he just laughed.  We dated quite a bit and on our 6th date, he took me to Derk's Field in SLC to watch a baseball game - probably so we could sit on a blanket afterwards and watch the fireworks.  It was the 4th of July.  He took me home and took me to the door and kissed me.  That was our first kiss.

We had a few ups and downs mainly because he was more serious than I was and I was determined I was waiting for my missionary.  When I found out he was only dating me and no one else, that kind of freaked me out because I had NO plans of marrying him and I knew he wasn't feeling the same.  So one day I just told him that if he didn't date other girls he was going to get hurt.  He was so hard to convince and so I finally told him that if he didn't start to date other girls then I was going to have to stop dating him.  That worked.  Only it kind of back fired on me. 

I took off for Europe on a tour with Weber State and I pretty much had decided that when I got home I was going to completely break up with him.  He was getting way too serious, way too fast for me.  And for crying out loud, I HAD A MISSIONARY!  lol

Dave is very persistent and if he wasn't, I am not sure we would have ended up together.  When I got home from Europe,  I was taking a Japanese language class and most of the people in the class were returned missionaries.  There was one girl in there named Trish.  I can't remember all the details (I need to go drag out my journal!) but somehow either from her or one of her friends, I found out that Dave had been taking her out and they were going skiing that day.  It was so crazy, but as soon as I heard that, something snapped in me and I got very jealous.  That was the turning point in our relationship.  haha  Just knowing he was interested in Trish the Dish, made me a little crazy and very possessive of him.  

We got unofficially engaged (no ring - just a decision) on the night of May 9, 1982.  But the next day when we were thinking a little more clearly, panic set in and we both called each other wondering what we were thinking and so before we told anyone we called it off.  Interestingly enough, Dave's very best friend Brent announced his engagement that day.

It only took one week and we decided that we wanted to become officially engaged and so we did!  It wasn't a romantic engagement, in fact I think I am the one that kind of asked him.  We went and picked out a ring and kept it a secret from everyone until we could announce it with our parents together.

We set up a dinner date with Dave's parents and my parents and my best friend Lisa who was now dating another one of Dave's best friends Brent Rose.  We went to Benihana's in SLC.  I had made some homemade fortune cookies that had fortunes in them that said things like, "You have a daughter  who will marry a very special guy on Sept. 17", or "You have a son who will marry a very special girl on Sept. 17", or "You have a very good friend who will get married on Sept. 17".  We had to instruct the waiters to make sure the right people got the right fortunes. 

Come to find out, Dave's parents were already in the know!  Dave's little sister Karen had been in dusting Dave's room and found the ring sitting there on a shelf earlier in the day.  She showed it to Dave's mom.  They had a plan that when they left to go to dinner that night if the ring was gone Karen was to go to the window and wave as they left.  Yep, she did!  So they weren't surprised one bit.

My Mom however was another story!  She didn't really catch on after reading the fortune right at first, but as soon as she did she blurted out, "What about ____?" (my missionaries name).  It was so funny!  Not sure Dave thought so, but I did.

We became officially engaged on May 16, 1982  - exactly one week after our first date!  We were married in the Logan Temple on September 17, 1982.  

I'd Love You to Want Me is officially "our song" to this day...  

And as they say...

The rest is history!     

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails