Monday, November 12, 2018

*Monday Memos*

*MONDAY MEMOS*

   
 (If pictures are too small, just click to enlarge) 
Weekly recap of my rather crazy, insane, but fun and rewarding life!


dear monday, Dave and I both woke up bright eyed and bushy tailed about 5 a.m.  Daylight Savings Time is one of those things that truly messes with you. 
Image result for daylight savings time humor marathon
I didn't get in a run today because I had to be to Dr. Ellis' at 8 a.m.  I like being the first patient because there is no waiting.  He was ready for me.  I was really nervous to go in today because my stomach has been in so much pain since Friday when he pushed on the hip flexor muscles.  I told him it still felt like his hands were pushing on me all weekend.  Hah  He said he would take it easy on me today.  My flexibility is getting better but that's really the only thing that has improved.  The pain level hasn't. Not even sure the frequency has.  Dang.  I was so hoping this was going to be the fix for me.  I am not giving up quite yet. I go back on Friday and I think he will have to evaluate and see if it's worth continuing.  He did say he is still optimistic. He said my hip flexor muscle was one of the tightest he's seen.  It wasn't quite as painful today as last time.  Grateful for that.  

Image result for chiropractic humor

Related image
I ran to Wallies after and got some 75% off Halloween costumes.  I got a Bumblebee for $4.  I think I will be that next year and Dave can be a Bee Keeper.  I came home and practiced the harp for a couple hours. I am getting frustrated with that a bit too because I can't sit very long without pain.  This needs to get better!  It's affecting every part of my life, including my sleep.  I took some gifts to Daisy Steed (her birthday) and to one of the sisters's I minister to who I still haven't met but tonight was the magic night. She happened to be following right behind me as I pulled in her driveway.  What luck!  She had no choice!  haha  It was so nice to finally put a face to the mystery name.  I even met both her kids.  Dave worked until almost 8 tonight.  We were both wiped out from Daylight Saving's Time and hit the hay about 9:30.  We. Are. Old.  LOL Mr. Cat can't take it either.  

dear tuesday, it was chilly billy this morning!  I went out west to run and Footloose came on my playlist right when I ran past a bunch of very interested cows.  They were just staring at me. So, I gave them a show. I danced and sang to Footloose and they just stared at me like was some alien from another planet.  Yeah, I kinda acted like I was, but I needed the energy release I guess.  When I got moving a little too close to them, the whole herd took off except one.  That guy just stared me down.  I just danced for him and then the rest of them stopped and stared again.  I had so much energy at that point...it's amazing what music can do for your soul! 
I was hurting more than usual while running and so I was glad for that. In fact, when I got home, I was in a lot of pain.  Probably as much as when this all started.  I fear the chiro stuff isn't working.  But, I have stopped doing all of my PT exercises and that was dumb.  I was hoping this was going to be the magic cure all I guess.  I am frustrated because I just want to run!  Run like I could before!  I will never complain about doing a full marathon again - if I ever get to - because I see now that might be something that never happens again in my life.  I want to run Boston again more than I can say!  Sigh....  I had no idea this was going to debilitate me to this extent.  I am running a turkey trot on Saturday and I hope I will be able to do that!  Sheesh.  Today was my day to get my talk written.  It was hard to sit at the computer and do that for very long. 

dear wednesday, I made it to my temple shift at 5 a.m.  Today was a little exciting as we almost had a fire. One of the dryers was scorching some lint buildup and it started to smoke and I am sure there were flames because it smelt like fire not just smoke.  I ran to the back where the machines are serviced to see if it was on fire and the engineers happened to be back there. I told them and they threw open the closet doors and found the problem.  Jean kept calm.  Something she is really good at.  Her and I had a discussion about the fireside I missed that Elder Jorg Klebingat spoke at.  She told me he talked about Russia and McKay's mission that closed.  Dang!  I wish I had been there but it was the night I had my family Halloween dinner.  She showed me the email of a sister who took notes and it was really good.  I especially loved one part of it: (I highlighted the side of that paragraph in yellow)
We didn't get killed today. Things were pretty steady and even flow.  I headed to my harp lesson right after.  It went well.  She played with me on two of my songs and that kind of messed me up.  But she seems more harpy happy (hehe) with my progress lately so that's good.   I headed to a boutique in Farmington in hopes I could get a good start on Christmas shopping. I think I already have a good start, but compared to the amount I have to buy, more like a dent.  It was packed.  I had to stand in line to check out for 35 minutes!  I got a few things that were worth it I hope.  And a couple of ideas for neighborhood gifts.  I hit Home Goods and Marshalls on my way back to O town.  I stopped at Costco and Sky called and asked what I was doing.  I told him I was heading to Grammys.  He had an appt in Tremonton and so we decided to meet him and Carson at her house so we could watch him.  
Carson and my Mom telling each other they are CUCKOO
While were visiting, Julie text me and asked about the AMI conference in Logan tonight. I completely forgot! Luckily, Grammy offered to watch Carson until Sky got back.  Sky was on his way back and so I headed to BC.  I accidentally took Carson's car seat but called Sky just in the nick of time. He was getting gas on Forest Street and I was almost there. Whew! I didn't have time to head back!  I hurried and put my dress back on and then picked up Julie and Lynda.  When we arrived there was no where to park. It was packed!  I was surprised!  We finally found a spot but ended up sitting almost to the back of the tabernacle.  Stacy Jardine invited us to sit by her and her daughter, sisters, mom, etc.  It was a very good evening.  Diane was her usual cute self conducting and Lesa Stevenson introduced Ann Dibb.  Ann is Pres. Monson's daughter. She spoke at our AMI mini conference nine years ago as well.  She did a great job and talked about how she loves to read obituaries.  She finds them full of wisdom and inspiration.  I agree. They are like reading a lot of mini biographies which is my favorite kind of book. I love learning about other people's lives. That's why I love reading other blogs. Her talk title was, "What kind of legacy will I leave?"
Image may contain: one or more people, people standing and text
A few of my notes:
Just keep swimming.  Pres. Monson loved to watch the old movies and she watched them with him as well as Lawrence Welk. She said taking away KBYU TV is elderly abuse. :)  She asked, "How do you throw your parent's stuff away?" 
Obituaries can teach you a lot but no comparison is allowed when reading them, only love. Some are remarkable, some are revealing...so much determines our choices in life.  We leave behind a legacy.  I want to leave a legacy (her prior talk).  
From one obituary: "Her secret cookie recipe will be shared at her funeral".
Leagacy's are also left in scriptures. How do we become so good?  Some say it is too hard. Satan is real. Pres. Monson used to tell her, "Ann you can't be weak knee-ed." Saul changed to to Paul - changed his legacy. Obituary when words are both true and kind. How will they remember me?  Recognize glacial progress. 


Cecelia and her daughter Amy and company sang a beautiful song they wrote just for this titled, "This is Us". After it was over I had to go say hi to all my AMI homies.  I talked to and hugged: Lisa Ellis, Lesa Stevenson, Jeniece B., Karen Carter, Cecilia Benson, Amy Benson, Barbara Mason, Renae, Diane Weese.  I absolutely love and admire every single one of these ladies and many more I didn't see.  They have no idea the influence they have had for good on my life.  We chatted with Ann Dibb for a while.  She said no photos tonight.  I wonder if Diane was able to persuade her into one.  We stopped at Swigs and got a sugar cookie on the way out of town. They are still my fave!

dear thursday, I got in a five mile run today.  I was happy how my body felt. 
No dancing for the cows today.  Hopefully I can pull of the turkey trot on Saturday but I go to Ellis tomorrow and not sure if he will make me sore again or what.  I have been in a lot of pain this week.  I fear it's not helping.  He said after 3-4 treatments he should know if he is going to be able to help me or not.  Looking like not.  I am sad about that.  I came home and practiced a bit and worked on my talk a bit and then made applesauce cookies and a tater tot casserole for Dave's parents dinner.  
Chocolate Chip Applesauce Cookies

2 C. applesauce
2 t. baking soda
Combine and set aside.

Main Bowl combine:
1 C. shortening (I use butter)
2 C. sugar
4 eggs
Beat well.
Add the applesauce/baking soda bowl.
Beat well.

Add:
4 C. flour
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. cloves
1 t. nutmeg
1 t. salt
Mix Well.

Add 1 Package of Chocolate Chips
Bake at 375 degrees
9-12 min.
(makes 4 dozen)

These freeze very well. Layer with wax paper.
Dave brought lunch home.  He had a three hour meeting in Tremonton tonight.  I went to the Ace Hardware Ladie's Night Out with Lynda and Tracy.  Julie was supposed to come but never made it. I saw Tiff, Zoe and Mark's mom plus half the town. There were over 500 women there.  Crazy.  We stood in line for at least 50 minutes for the food.  We did the pie crust class and a bit of Kelly's decor class.  It went fast.  Tracy thought she won the big Kitchen Aid mixer but she had two numbers wrong. Dang!  That would have been so cool!   Oh well.  
Tracy after she thought she won the mixer.  Bottom left

Best news of the day.....I GOT MY BOSTON BOOK!  BOSTON BUDDIES!!!  
Click to enlarge to read
It's the stories of some of us who ran the Boston Marathon this year in those insane conditions.  It came in the mail and I ripped it out of it's package and couldn't put it down!  The stories are so inspiring and amazing!  OH. MY. GOSH!  I am so excited!!!  I'm on page 183!  He added two of the photos I sent in.  It's so cool my Boston story is published!  What an incredible thing to be a part of!  I feel so honored to be in it with some of the most amazing runners ever!  Even the winner of Marathon wrote up his story!  Seriously!!!  Yuki Kawauchi. Katherine Switzer also contributed to it as well as Sarah Sellers and many other amazing athletes.  Sooooooooo awesome!  Can't wait to read the whole thing!  Holy cow, after reading some of the stories, I just can't believe I survived that thing!  Seriously!  I feel like my story is not worthy to even be in it.  I screen shot a few of the pages available on the "Look Inside" on Amazon.  If you don't want to read the book, at least read these.  It will inspire and motivate you! 







dear friday, today was a hard day.  I went to Doc-chiro for my fourth visit and after he asked how the last few days have been, I told him I had run twice since I was here and he kind of stopped a bit in shock and said it's hard to stop I know.  He stopped typing and looked at me and said I wasn't going to like what he had to say.  He said he has been doing this with runners for a long time and when his treatments aren't helping (most see a difference after the first visit) he's confident that means he can't help them and they are need of a different remedy or treatment that can. 
Image result for bad day
But that wasn't the worst of it, after he said that he showed me on the computer once again what is happening to my disk when I run and bottom line is he said I need to give up running altogether.  Not just marathons, but running completely.  He said it's damaging my body and he would like to see me be able to hold my grandchildren one day and enjoy a life not filled with pain but the running is the contributor to my pain.  Unfortunately herniated disks are not a runners friend and rarely respond to treatment.  He said he doesn't  know if surgery is even an option but I could go see Dr. Winters and get his opinion, but even with surgery the disks will continue to take a pounding and be back to where it is now.  He said marathons are not good on the body....(agreed) and in fact they are one of the worst things we can do to them and that if I do continue I might end up like a co-runner who had the same issue I do and ran Boston and instead of pain shooting down her leg, everything went numb.  The nerve was so severely damaged that she ended up with surgery and had to give up running completely.  But she was lucky surgery took the numbing away.  He said I need to find a new addiction.  He was very kind and said he had to pay me a sincere compliment that I was very fit and looked very good and am an incredible and amazing athlete.  And that I could take up another hobby, though he didn't give me suggestions.  I can't remember all he said because I was so in shock.  He did the treatment on me still and it was pretty painful this time because my body was just sore and hurting already.   He was understanding because he is a runner but did not mince words and was very straight forward.  The sad thing is, deep down I knew he was right.  The thought of never running Boston again was hard.  VERY HARD.  That is my dream.  Running the Boston Marathon is the most amazing thing and I can't bear the thought of never being able to run it again.  Ironically, running Boston this year may be the reason why I am where I am. At mile 22, I felt that severe back pain, enough that I had to actually take some Advil which I have never done.  I do believe that is when it herniated (as does Dr. Pugsley).  It was possibly a bulge before that, but that is what set it over the edge due to how cold I was and how I was tensed up the entire time was probably just too much for it.  I had to really hold back the tears.  But the minute I exited his office and got in my car, I couldn't stop them.  This was big.  Giving up my therapy, my stress relief, my favorite past time, one of my greatest loves of my life?  I felt like there was a death in the family.  I have met the most amazing people through running. It is my life!  
Image result for bad day
I tried to call Dave but he was busy and so I sat in the car and had a good cry.  Dave called me back as I was walking into my Women's Forum meeting and when he asked what was wrong, I couldn't even get it out.  I just cried.  It took me a while before I could even talk and tried to tell him that I was told I had to give up marathons as well as running. He gave me some good advice and helped me understand that that is just one opinion (though Rob my PT and Pugsley pretty much said the same thing). But he made me feel a little better and I was able to compose myself enough to get through my meeting.  What a blow.  
Image result for bad day
The meeting was good.  Karen and Aubrey picked me up and we headed to Logan.  I told them the news and got choked up again.  Aubrey was so sweet and understanding as was Karen.  I'm just so sad.  But, it was good to be with them because we had a lot of fun and I needed that.  We went to a craft boutique that ended up being a home show. 
We saw Jeremy selling solar and Sky's other buddy.  We then headed to Lazy One outlet. They didn't buy anything but I got some Christmas gifts. We ate lunch at Jimmy Johns and then went to Tai Pan. I called the boys to invite them lunch but Taylor was working and McKay had class. McKay did stop by Tai Pan though and I gave him the other half of my sandwich.  
He was cute and we all visited for a bit. Aubrey said, "McKay is so cute! I just love him!".  He is.  He left his wallet home and is completely out of money.  I gave him $30 and told him to go buy some groceries. Poor kid.  I went straight the Primary Program practice (for two long hours). That was hard for my Sunbeams to sit still that long. I had to take them out and let them run outside for a bit to get their wiggles out.  That helped some and we took a couple potty breaks as well.  Once it was over all the kids went in the gym and played games while they waited for pizza.  I was ready to get home.  My body is hurting pretty bad tonight and I need to work on my talk but I just can't even focus right now with the news of my back and running. I just want to go to bed.  Sigh....... McKay showed up later and we ordered pizza. 

This was posted on the Boston Buddie Facebook page and it couldn't have come at a better time:

Wrote this the other day, thought you all would understand.
I have come to some conclusions about running.
1. It is hard
2. Complaining about it doesn’t make it easier
3. It is not complicated: one foot in front of the other
4. It is not a competition
5. There is no one “right way” to do it
6. Eventually, it will reveal your character
7. Success is easy to determine: you are moving forward
8. Some days, you do your best to just survive it
9. It is okay to not know where it’s taking you
10. Just because it hurts doesn’t mean you quit
11. You should never take it for granted
12. You should not compare yours to another’s (see #4)
13. When it is most difficult, it is offering a lesson
14. It may feel as if it is breaking you, but it is really making you stronger
15. It is a gift. Treat it as such
On second thought, I have come to some conclusions about life.
As always, take what you need, leave the rest, agree to disagree, or just give it a thought. ~G
Image may contain: text

dear saturday
I ran the Tremonton Turkey Trot this morning.  I know I was told I had to stop running yesterday, but when has a runner ever listened to that?  I did take it very serious, but I am not ready to just stop cold turkey.  Besides, I had to win me a cold turkey today.  And that I did!  It was chilly!  And I don't mean just the turkey! But before the race it warmed up some and I shed my jacket and gloves before the gun went off.   I checked my last year's stats and I came in 1st in my age division, 5th overall woman and 24th overall and ran it in a 25:30.  This year I finished 1st in my age division again!  Woot-woot!  
I finished with a 26:05.  I was 11th overall woman and 28th overall.  I was okay with being 35 seconds slower considering how I have only been getting in an average of 10 miles a week.  Last year, I was getting in 30-35 miles.  And with the injury and just getting worked on yesterday, I was very happy I wasn't a lot slower.  So, I'll take it.  
Gobble Gobble!

I talked to a woman who is 36 and told me she had a ruptured disk three years ago and took off a couple years from running and seems to be okay now. That gave me more hope than I can say.  I tried not to think about the fact that she is 20 years younger than me.  I just need some hope.  I chatted with Bob about it and he said he wants to be done with marathons because they are too hard on the body.  Agreed.  I just don't want to let Boston go yet.  I felt okay but felt strained cardio wise more than usual. I did take Advil before to calm down the back pain though and so I was okay while running. But, I was really beat as soon as I crossed that finish line and had to go sit down which is not normal for me.  It frustrated me. Yes Jodi, you are 57 years old.  Age is just a number right? Sigh....

With Bob.  They ran out of turkeys for the AD winners and so he got an extra large one!  
I went to Indulge Boutique and got a couple dresses because they had a huge sale and I got such a killer deal. I then went to the Sunflower Shop and a Christmas boutique and did some Christmas shopping. I didn't find much. I came home and Dave had gone to the USU game with Taylor.  Come to find out Taylor took a date (Aubrey who I met on conference weekend) and I felt bad I didn't go but I had to buckle down on this talk. I had no idea I would not be able to find time to get it written.  But it is just the time factor, it's the topic. I just don't have a solid idea of what I want to say and so it's pretty scattered.  I knew Sky and crew were coming and so I really tried to get some good solid info down but I still don't feel confident in what I have.  I hope it's not going to be one of those that I change the day of.  Dave got home earlier than planned because it was so cold at the game.  We chatted and then Sky showed up.  Carson wanted to play in the playroom and so we had fun playing with the old musical instruments that I have to use for my lesson tomorrow.  We then went up and watched some more of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.  It is a LONG movie!  But I want him to see it before I take him to the play.
Image result for chitty chitty bang bang

dear sunday, I got up early to get my lesson finalized before Carson woke up but he came up the stairs at 7 a.m.  He was still tired, but he loves to come up and be with me as soon as he wakes up even if he would normally go back to sleep. It's cute.  I had him on my lap while I worked on it even though he was half asleep. He drew pictures for a while and then I got on YouTube and pulled up some videos of the Primary songs we were singing today in the program since he has missed all the practices.  My favorite song is I Will Be What I Believe. It is a tear jerker.  So touching.  We played and he helped me make mini harps for the kids since our lesson is on music and the story of how David played his harp for King Saul to cheer him up.  They turned out cute.  
We went to the church and found out they changed the places the Sunbeams were going to sit.  I was not thrilled with the idea because that meant the kids were right on the front and there was no room to maneuver them when they said their parts.  Somehow we made it work though.  Cheryl had half on her side and I had the others on mine. Every single one of them came. All nine. We do have one that has never come that still didn't, but I was amazed all the actives were there.  My parents and Dave's parents (bless their hearts) both showed up.  Karen was so sweet about how much her grandson loves me.  I told her I love him too.  Each one of those kids has my heart.  They are a handful but I sure do love those little innocent things.  
They sat with their families until sacrament was over.  I told Anson's mom to make sure to take him to the bathroom before because he always has to go and when he has to go, he has to go!  Wouldn't you know it?  He had to go about half way through.  It was hilarious.  Heidi was down in front so she took him. They did a good job on their parts. Carson was so cute. He had his memorized and got up there with confidence and did a great job. Most of the rest were so soft spoken or scared that they were hard to hear with the exception of Sam.  Their song I am Like a Star Shining Brightly wasn't as good as it has been when they practiced it.  I think they were still stage shocked.  But they are just cute to look at.  LOL  It went well for the most part.  The best was when they sang I Will Be What I Believe.  They all know it so well and it gave me chills.  It's a beautiful inspired song.  The place was packed!  Carson thanked the grandparents for coming and then we headed to Primary.  Sam was restless in Sharing Time but things went well in class. It was fun to talk about music because we sang a lot and I brought the instruments and they loved that.  It's hard with that many but we managed.  

I had to video them with their musical instruments.  Too cute!

I honestly felt like I had run a marathon again today. But, I love them all to pieces!  I had them for almost three hours today.  And two on Friday.  I was surprised how exhausted that makes me.  Geeze, this age thing is starting to really frustrate me.  I want the energy I had when my kids were little.  I still need it!  hah    We had dinner and then watched the end of Chitty Chitty.  Carson made me some cute things out of playdough.

It was chilly today!  Tomorrow is going to be worse. Found out we have the play Chitty Chitty tomorrow and I thought it was next week!  I am going to have to buckle down and get that talk written!  It's on Tuesday and it really is so fragmented still. Usually by now, I have a good solid draft.  Right now, it's a very rough draft and I'm still not sure it's what I want. I decided I really need to pray for inspiration so I can take it the right direction.  Pressure! 


dear quotes










No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails