Tuesday, April 28, 2020

A DAILY BEACON of LIGHT and HOPE

 This is a collection of daily emails I sent (before social media) to uplift and inspire others to my friends and family in 2007 and 2008. I am adding 10 messages per post. 

This is dedicated to those who are trying to find that beacon of hope in the midst of darkness of today's world. May this shining beam of light and hope help brighten those stormy days of life...


Beacon of Hope blog address:
jodibeacon.blogspot.com

Lighthouse Storm Stock Illustrations – 722 Lighthouse Storm Stock ...


Hello my friends!

I am compiling a daily thought or some kind of short uplifting message to send via email. I have collected thoughts and quotes for years and love to pass them on and share the inspiration I receive from them. I am not promising it will come “daily” but frequently.  If you are interested in being on my emailing list to receive my daily “Beacon of Light and Hope” then please reply with a yes.  If I don’t get anything back from you, then I won’t send you anymore. Thanks for your friendship! The first one is attached at the bottom. Enjoy...

Love, Jodi

PS I apologize if the format is messed up somewhat in this book form. The website "slurped" it in and some of the contents shifted. It also left out a lot of my graphics and pictures. 

Lighthouse Wonders - Stormy Lighthouse Purple Panel | Lennie ...

A Daily Beacon of Light and Hope... 

  May this shining beam of light and hope help brighten those stormy days of life...



Malachi 3:3 says: "He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver."

  
This verse puzzled some women in a Bible study and they wondered what this statement meant about the character and nature of God. One of the women offered to find out the process of refining silver and get back to the group at their next Bible Study.

That week, the woman called a silversmith and made an appointment to watch him at work. She didn't mention anything about the reason for her interest beyond her curiosity about the process of refining silver.

As she watched the silversmith, he held a piece of silver over the fire and let it heat up. He explained that in refining silver, one needed to hold the silver in the middle of the fire where the flames were hottest as to burn away all the impurities.

The woman thought about God holding us in such a hot spot; then she thought again about the verse that says: "He sits as a refiner and purifier of silver."

She asked the silversmith if it was true that he had to sit there in front of the fire the whole time the silver was being refined. The man answered that yes, he not only had to sit there holding the silver, but he had to keep his eyes on the silver the entire time it was in the fire. If the silver was left a moment too long in the flames, it would be destroyed.

The woman was silent for a moment. Then she asked the silversmith, "How do you know when the silver is fully refined?"

He smiled at her and answered, "Oh, that's easy -- when I see my image in it" 

If today you are feeling the heat of the fire, remember that God has his eye on you and will keep watching you; until He sees His image in you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Daily Beacon of Light and Hope... 

  May this shining beam of light and hope help brighten those stormy days of life...


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


BE THANKFUL
By Author Unknown

Be thankful that you don't already have everything you desire.
If you did, what would there be to look forward to?
Be thankful when you don't know something,
for it gives you the opportunity to learn.

Be thankful for the difficult times.
During those times you grow.
Be thankful for your limitations,
because they give you opportunities for improvement.
Be thankful for each new challenge,
because it will build your strength and character.

Be thankful for your mistakes. They will teach you valuable lessons.
Be thankful when you're tired and weary,
because it means you've made a difference.

It's easy to be thankful for the good things.
A life of rich fulfillment comes to those who
are also thankful for the setbacks.
Gratitude can turn a negative into a positive.
Find a way to be thankful for your troubles,
and they can become your blessings.


~~~~~A Time to Think~~~~~
Gratitude is on of the most important qualities we can learn to possess.  Notice I said "learn"....since it isn't just an inborn trait. Once it has become second nature to us, then we are able to let go of many of the things that tend to hamper our progress. There is almost something magical that occurs when we begin to focus on what we DO have.  Once we are able to do that, all those things we don't have no longer seem so important, and we almost instantly feel happier.  The next time you are feeling down about the circumstances in your life, I challenge you to stop and take a minute or two and write down as many of the things you have been blessed with that you can think of. Don't forget to include the things that may seem very unlikely to find themselves in your gratitude pile. Then say a short prayer of thankfulness. Some of our greatest problems end up being our greatest blessings. I promise you that once you begin to think about your abundance of blessings, your frame of mind will begin to shift and the gratitude will lift you. There is a great power in this practice. I challenge you to make it part of your daily life. Begin today. 

~~~~~A Time to Act~~~~~
Write down five things you are grateful for each day in a Gratitude Journal or notebook.

Make it great!!!

~Jodi

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Daily Beacon of Light and Hope... 

  May this shining beam of light and hope help brighten those stormy days of life...



As quoted by Charles Swindoll


The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life.

Attitude, to me is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do.

It is more important than appearance, gifted-ness or skill. It will make or break a company... a church... a home.

The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day.

We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable.

The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude.

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.

And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes.


~~~~~A Time to Think~~~~~
I have a sign hanging in my laundry room that says, "It's All About Choices". I firmly believe that applies to all areas of our lives. We do have the choice each day how we will handle what life throws our way.  And even though we may not have much say in many of the things that happen to us, since so much is out of our control, we still have the choice how we will respond to it. When we are able to accept that, then it opens the door for us to move on and progress.  Otherwise we stay in the mud and the mire and tend to become bitter and stagnant. It really is all about choices.  What will yours be?

~~~~~A Time to Act~~~~~
When you are tempted to complain today, stop.......rewind......and push pause.  Rethink the situation and ask yourself if you have a choice in how you "choose" to feel about the circumstances. Then "choose" to see things differently.

~~~~~A Time to Pray~~~~~
Ask for help and strength in "choosing" a positive attitude today.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 A Daily Beacon of Light and Hope... 


  May this shining beam of light and hope help brighten those stormy days of life...




 I am here for a purpose and that purpose is to grow into a mountain, not to shrink to a grain of sand. Henceforth will I apply all my efforts to become the highest mountain of all and I will strain my potential until it cries for mercy.       ~Og Mandino


~~~~~A Time to Think~~~~~
"Strain my potential until it cries for mercy"?  I can totally relate to that!  About three months ago I decided to take up running. What was I thinking you ask? I have asked myself that many times. That question usually pops into my mind when I am out beating the pavement and my lungs are crying for mercy!  My inspiration came from a couple of friends, one who just ran a marathon, and the other who also was a self-proclaimed "non-runner" as I was, but wanted to "strain at her potential" to see if she could do it too. I have always disliked running....no, let me rephrase that...I have always HATED to run!  The way I saw it was, why would you run, unless of course you were being chased?  I honestly thought anyone that would actually want to run had to be at least one pea short of the pod. Well, tomorrow I am running in the Peach Days "race" (guess my own pod is missing a pea or two!)  At least it's a race for the other participants.  For me it will just be a great feeling of accomplishment for crossing the finish line on the parade route without the aid of medical assistance! I know now why they have so many firetrucks and ambulances entered in the parade. It's a safety precaution for people like me they may need to scrape up off the pavement along the way. A runner friend of mine just sent me some words of wisdom.  She said,  "Just remember you will pass out before you die."  Comforting.  In order to finish the race I will need to run 10 K, which translates into 6.2 miles.  I have never ran 6.2 miles in my entire life all at the same time!  But I know I can do it since yesterday was the first day since I've been training that I ran a full five miles without stopping to walk in between. For some of you that may sound like no big deal, but for me it was huge considering when I started three months ago, just running one little minute was extreme torture!  I love to speed walk and could do that all day, but running is just....well.......painful! My first race this summer was the Mantua Dam Race, which was 4.7 miles.  (Confession time:  I ran that one just so I could get the shirt that said, "I Survived the Dam Race!" ) As I crossed that finish line (with delirium in my eyes) I think I was hooked!  Not because I like to run, I will NEVER like it, but because I strained at my potential and realized I was able to do something I never thought I could (even though every fiber of my being was crying for mercy!)  It spurred me on to accomplish other things that I always thought were too hard as well.  Each of us has so much un-tapped potential for things that are now just laying dormant waiting for us to put a little strain on them. I challenge you to find what they are and turn those grains of sand into great mountains!  And if you see me in the race tomorrow looking like my potential is crying (or screaming) for mercy......just throw me some chocolate and I'll be fine!!!  

~~~~~A Time to Act~~~~~
Think of at least one thing that you have always wanted to do but never thought you could and begin a plan to accomplish it. Start with BABY steps and don't give up until you master it.

~~~~~A Time to Pray~~~~~

Ummm....I could use a prayer or two for tomorrow!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 A Daily Beacon of Light and Hope... 

  May this shining beam of light and hope help brighten those stormy days of life...





Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.

We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?

You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it is in everyone.

And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

by Marianne Williamson

                 

*Please note that this quote is oftentimes mistakenly attributed to Nelson Mandela. 


~~~~~A Time to Think~~~~~ 
Those are powerful words. You may have to re-read them a few times to let them sink in.  Each of us is here for a divine purpose.  We need to find out what that is and then let our light SHINE.  No one was put here with the same mission as some one else. We are each unique and have our own purpose to fulfill. Just as a tulip isn't like a rose, it still stands out and is still beautiful.  It doesn't need to struggle to be like a rose.  It doesn't have to.  It is different.  There is room for every flower in the garden.  What a boring garden it would be if there were only roses.  And what a sad garden it would be if there were only tulips trying to be roses.  We are each unique because we were created that way.  Have you ever noticed how little children are happy being themselves?  Their lights beam brightly and shine forth because they are happy with who they are.  They can't help it. They are all different and to them that is okay.  It isn't until they are taught to compare and compete, and strive to be better than others, that their natural light is dimmed and darkened.

~~~~~A Time to Act~~~~~
Find ways to discover what you're unique mission in life is and strive to let your own brilliant light shine as you accomplish it.

~~~~~A Time to Pray~~~~~
Pray for help in discovering what it is God sent you specifically here to do.  Ask for His help in illuminating the light uniquely within you.

  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 A Daily Beacon of Light and Hope... 

  May this shining beam of light and hope help brighten those stormy days of life...


“Faith in Him (Jesus Christ) is more than mere acknowledgment that He lives. It is more than professing belief. Faith in Jesus Christ consists of complete reliance on Him. As God, He has infinite power, intelligence, and love. There is no human problem beyond His capacity to solve…. He knows how to help us rise above our daily difficulties. Faith in Him means believing that even though we do not understand all things, He does” (Sermons and Writings of President Ezra Taft Benson, p. 7, emphasis added).

~~~~~A Time to Think~~~~~ 
The above is a true statement.  But do you "believe" it?  Or do you believe it is true for others, but not for you?  In Stephen Robinson's book Believing Christ, he asks, "We believe in Christ, but do we believe Christ?"  Think about that question and ponder it for a while.  Do you believe He can do all that He professess He can do, or do you think it is possible for Him to do all those great things for everyone else, but not for you personally?  Having true faith in Christ means we believe Him, not just believe in Him.  Robinson says:

"If we believe only in Christ without believing Christ, then we are like people sitting in cold, dark houses surrounded by unused lamps and heaters, people who believe in electricity but who never throw the switch to turn on the power.  People like this often pretend to themselves and to others that merely believing in electricity makes them warm and gives them light, but they still shiver in the dark unless they turn on the power.  Though the appliances may all work and the wiring may be in good order, until we accept the power itself, beyond merely believing in the theory of power, we cannot enjoy the warmth and light.  This is why genuine faith in Christ - active acceptance of his power and not just passive belief in his identity - is and must be the very first principle of the gospel.   No matter how much of the gospel one learns or even believes as a theory, until we accept the reality of our salvation, we have not yet turned on the power." 

When Christ suffered for our sins, He didn't stop the process before yours or mine were atoned for.  He atoned for EVERYONE'S.  Yours and mine included.  He could not rest and would not die until it was finished, not until we were saved with Him. The atonement, His suffering, was not only to cleanse us of our sins, but to help us with life's difficulties.  He is there to help us and to heal us.  We don't have to know "how" it is done, all we have to do is BELIEVE that He can and that He will.

~~~~~A Time to Act~~~~~
Look up the word GRACE in the Bible dictionary.  Ponder over those words until you really BELIEVE them.  Read Stephen Robinson's book Believing Christ.  If you have already read it, read it again.  (You can borrow mine )  Trust in the power as you turn on that "switch" and experience the light and warmth of the Savior.

~~~~~A Time to Pray~~~~~
Pray for the added faith you need to really believe that the Savior can do all He professes He can and then accept that gift with open and grateful arms.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 A Daily Beacon of Light and Hope... 


  May this shining beam of light and hope help brighten those stormy days of life...





The InvitationOriah Mountain Dreamer
 It doesn't interest me what you do for a living. I want to know what you ache for, and if you dare to dream of meeting your heart's longing.
It doesn't interest me what planets are squaring your moon. I want to know if you have touched the center of your own sorrow, if you have been opened by life's betrayals or have become shriveled and closed from fear of further pain! I want to know if you can sit with pain, mine or your own, without moving to hide it or fade it, or fix it. want to know if you can be with joy, mine or your own, if you can dance with wildness and let the ecstasy fill you to the tips of your fingers and toes without cautioning us to be careful, to be realistic, to remember the limitations of being human.
It doesn't interest me if the story you are telling me is true. I want to know if you can disappoint another to be true to yourself; if you can bear the accusation of betrayal and not betray your own soul; if you can be faithless and therefore trustworthy.
want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day, and if you can source your own life from its presence.want to know if you can live with failure, yours and mine, and still stand on the edge of the lake and shout to the silver of the full moon, "Yes!"It doesn't interest me to know where you live or how much money you have. I want to know if you can get up, after the night of grief and despair, weary and bruised to the bone, and do what needs to be done to feed the children.It doesn't interest me who you know or how you came to be here. I want to know if you will stand in the center of the fire with me and not shrink back.
It doesn't interest me where or what or with whom you have studied. I want to know what sustains you, from the inside, when all else falls away.I want to know if you can be alone with yourself and if you truly like the company you keep in the empty moments.
by Oriah Mountain Dreamer

 

~~~~~A Time to Think~~~~~

A lot of our lives are spent living on the surface without really getting deep inside the core of who we really are.  Are you living life the way you want or do you allow others to influence your perceptions of what is right for you? Do you allow friends, family, or more importantly the media to determine what you should be or how you should perceive things?  Take a moment to step back and ask yourself:

                                       "How do I really want to live my life?" 

As you ponder that question allow yourself time to be still and listen to your own inner wisdom. Are you where you want to be?  Are you where you thought you would be at this point in your life?  If not, what do you need to do to get there?


~~~~~A Time to Act~~~~~
Try and live your life less on the "surface".  Start today to discover the core of who you really are.  Once you know that, then you are able to live life more fully because then you are living with the integrity of being who you were meant to be.  Take the time today to be aware of how much you are influenced by the outside world in determining how you live your life.



 
~~~~~A Time to Pray~~~~~
Pray for the wisdom and strength that you will be able to live your life true to the core of who you are.

  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 A Daily Beacon of Light and Hope... 


  May this shining beam of light and hope help brighten those stormy days of life...



"I come to you......with a plea that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we 'accentuate the positive'. I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult, and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment virtue and effort. I am not asking that all criticism be silenced. Growth comes of correction. Strength comes of repentance. Wise is the man who can acknowledge mistakes pointed out by others and change his course. What I am suggesting to you is that you turn from the negativism that so permeates our society and look for the remarkable good among those with whom you will associate, that we speak of one another's virtues more than we speak of one another's faults, that optimism replace pessimism, that our faith exceed our fears. When I was a young man and was prone to speak critically, my father would say, 'Cynics do not contribute, skeptics do not create, doubters do not achieve'." (Gordon B. Hinckley, Commencement Address at BYU-Hawaii, June 10, 1983, as quoted in the Church News, July 3,1983, p. 10)

~~~~~A Time to Think~~~~~ 
I just love President Hinckley's optimism about life.  It seems with the many things he has experienced in life and all he has seen of this world, that it would be so much easier to dwell on the negative.  But he always manages to rise to the top and find the good in whatever this world spews out at him. What a remarkable example he is to us.  I found another quote I want to share that goes along with his.

"We have an incredible and almost unlimited ability to observe things about other people. This capacity is innate, but we are free to take it in the direction we choose. What a shame if we use our observational power to discover and dwell on what is wrong with them, criticizing and cataloging their faults. What a shame when, in truth, we are equally able to adopt an attitude of delighting in others and the many things we are able to notice about them." --Dr. Mark Chamberlain

It's a shame we are so programmed in today's world to see the faults of those around us before we see their good qualities. The good news is we can change that almost automatic response and turn it into an attitude of seeking and searching for the virtues of others.  Everyone has many good qualities that can be brought to the surface if we willingly look for them.
~~~~~A Time to Act~~~~~
Today make a conscious choice to look for the good in others.  When you catch yourself with a negative thought about someone, quickly change it to something positive.  Dwell on the good in others.  Sincerely compliment at least three people today that have a quality you admire.  Even if it's simply that their smile brightened your day, tell them.  You never know what the impact will be.  Mark Twain once said, "I can live for two months on a good compliment."
~~~~~A Time to Pray~~~~~
Pray for help in noticing the good in others and for being able to refrain from focusing on their faults or weaknesses. Pray for strength in being able to share with them those positive things you see in them.

  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 A Daily Beacon of Light and Hope... 

  May this shining beam of light and hope help brighten those stormy days of life...

  by Marsha Jordan
 Like you, I've known sorrow, loneliness, and disappointment. At those times, it often feels like I'm living smack dab in the middle of a mountain of manure. However, things that stink aren't necessarily bad. Sometimes, what we think is awful right now may end up being good for us. Ask anyone who took castor oil as a kid!
Just as the garbage in a compost heap makes gardens grow, the garbage in our lives can enhance our personal growth. Trials can result in strong faith and character. The stuff that stinks the most is usually the best fertilizer for healthy spiritual development. Even stinky manure, after a time, turns into healthy and clean smelling soil.
Gardens go through seasons. Spring is the season to plant and fertilize. Summer is the season to weed and cultivate. Fall is the season to harvest. Winter is the season for the land to rest. Our lives have different seasons too. Some of them are more difficult than others. But if we endure "for a season" without giving in to short-term thinking, we will reap a harvest.
When your heart is broken, it may feel hopeless; but there's always hope, even in the dung heap. Open your eyes to see beyond the pig pies to how good -- and growth -- might come from this situation.
Blossoms of blessing often come from manure. The smelly, disgusting manure that our lives sometimes become can bring forth prize-winning, life-giving fruit. Celebrate the fact that we don't have to climb that manure mountain alone. Believe and keep the faith, then grab a shovel and start digging. There's a harvest on the other side.  


ADDITIONAL THOUGHT TO PONDER:


Trouble comes into every life, but we have HOPE, the essential ingredient for making it through the dung heap.



~~~~~A Time to Think~~~~~
Do you ever feel like manure has just been dumped into your life?  I think we all feel that way at times.  Sometimes it feels like it just keeps coming and we can't shovel our way out fast enough.  And other times it just lingers on and on.........and on.  We may get tired of it and try to ignore it, but that is rather difficult since it has that unique "aroma".  But as it always seems to be in life, there are several lessons to be learned from the "dung heap":
  • Sometimes, we need a little manure in our lives to help us grow.
  • If the manure doesn't come to us, we often go out and find it.
  • If we take time to understand the nature of the manure, we can work it into the soil of our lives, to enhance our personal growth.
  • After manure enters our lives, we can smooth the soil to make it appear as if things are still the same, but underneath it all, the soil is forever changed.
Thankfully the change that happens is almost always for the best.  Not always an easy thing to grasp and understand "during" the process, but if we could see the big picture at the time, then we would be more accepting of our trials while in the midst of them.  Maybe we would even welcome them with open arms!  Did I really say that?  Hmmm.....   But when all is said and done, I honestly believe we will be grateful for all the dung heaps we were "blessed" with while here. 



~~~~~A Time to Act~~~~~
Today try and focus on the blessings of your troubles and trials.  Ponder on the good things that can "bloom" out of that potent manure.  Try and view each of your trials as an opportunity for growth.  Someday you WILL understand the why, but for now learn to accept it as a gift of strengthening from above.

Take some time today to look up these scriptures and ponder on what they say:
WHY TRIALS?
John 16:33
Luke 9:23
D & C 136:31
D & C 122: 7-8
WHAT DESTROYS HOPE?
Matt. 13: 19-23
WHAT GIVES HOPE?
Matt. 11:28
WHAT ARE GOD'S PROMISES?
D & C 61:36
D & C 78;18
Ether 12:4
BE OF GOOD CHEER!!!!



~~~~~A Time to Pray~~~~~
Ask God to help you have the strength to see the blessings in your trials and the ability to be grateful for them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 A Daily Beacon of Light and Hope... 


  May this shining beam of light and hope help brighten those stormy days of life...


I am determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; 
for I have learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness 
or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances.                                                            ~Martha Washington


~~~~~A Time to Think~~~~~
Martha Washington knew what she talking about when she said the above.  I have always loved this quote and have had it hanging in my laundry room forever.  When I originally heard it, I was told it came from Helen Keller.  I have since learned that Helen Keller used to quote it frequently.  It made an impact on me the first time I heard it and continues to do so.  We really do have the choice to be happy or not.  When you get right down to it, it doesn't really matter what is happening around us or in our lives, we still have the choice.  It is up to us to determine if we are going to let our circumstances control us and make us miserable or if we are going to take control and be happy regardless what the outcome may be.   

~~~~~A Time to Act~~~~~
When you are in a situation that propels you to feel unhappy or hurt, stop and remind yourself that you (and you alone) are in charge of your reaction and ultimately how you deal with it.  No person, or thing, can control your decision to "choose"  to be happy.  You are the only one with that power.  Begin to use it to your full advantage today. 

~~~~~A Time to Pray~~~~~
Ask for the strength you need to consciously choose happiness even in the face of misery.  The help will come and you will be amazed at the power this one little principle will bring into your life.

 Make it great!!!

~Jodi

Attachments area
Desktop Stormy Weather Pigeon Lighthouse Wallpapers - Stormy ...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails