The first year I did this my word was BEGIN, the second year it was DO, and this year I chose NOW. It seems I have a bit of a theme going here. Those other posts are HERE and HERE.
I feel like I need to accomplish more in my life without letting excuses get in the way or waiting for a better time when I feel more like doing it. I get more done when I don't really think about the task, but just do it. I also want to be more in the present moment. The NOW. I want to serve others NOW and not wait for the perfect time. I want to be able to have the mindset of right NOW is the best time to do anything. I want to stop the thoughts of, "I will get to that later when I have more time", and instead just do it NOW when I notice it needs to be done and stop waiting for the perfect moment to do things. I want to make the most of the present time. The NOW. Therefore, I chose the word NOW to inspire me to just do it NOW.
It's going to be a challenging task because I feel like I am already so busy and sometimes I wonder how I will be able to start doing those things that I put off when I am already busy doing other good things, which is why other important things get put off. But I find that I tend to put off certain things because I am waiting for the perfect time to do them like:
- Serving someone when I feel prompted (not later when I "find" the time)
- Getting in my daily personal scripture reading and personal prayers
- Journal keeping i.e. printing out this blog into books
- Staying on my cleaning schedule
- Returning that phone call or text
- Little things like putting away the folded laundry immediately, hanging up that coat instead of throwing it on the chair to hang up later, washing just that one window when it gets a big smudge instead of waiting until I have time to do all of the windows, etc.
- Starting Christmas a couple months earlier so I can enjoy the season without so much stress
My hope is that when I am focused on the NOW then the most important things will surface to the top of the pile and get done.
I am also going to try and really focus on being in the present moment. I find that when I do that I am more at peace with my life and much less stressed and overwhelmed. The moment we are in NOW is really the only one we have control over.
I am excited to focus on this one little word for 2015! Right NOW!
What will your one little word be this year?