Tuesday, September 24, 2013

** Purple Sweet Potato Cheesecake **

Recipe at bottom of post

PURPLE Cheesecake!!!
Have you ever seen anything this tempting?
Me either!

In the spring I saw a photo of a purple sweet potato cheesecake.  I immediately knew that I HAD to make one.  The only problem was it called for PURPLE sweet potatoes in the recipe.  Hmm....  Could be a problem.  

But, I really wanted to make one and so I got right on Google and researched purple sweet potatoes.  When I learned the particular kind I needed I found a place that I could actually order the seeds through the mail!  

So I did.

And I planted them.

And they grew.

And Dave watered them, weeded them, and dug them up.

And, as they say...the rest is history!


It's amazing that something that looks like THIS ↓


Could end up in a finished product looking like this ↓

 I know... I wouldn't have believed it either.  Just goes to show you should never underestimate what a little plastic surgery can do! Or a little plastic potato peeler!

After peeling them, they started to look like they had spent a few minutes primping in front of the mirror. 

 They were actually very pretty when I got skin deep!
 

Hmm... they mysteriously resemble the purple chips that my niece Natalie brought back from France for me this summer.
 

 
Yes, I do believe these chips are made from purple sweet potatoes!  Or, I guess they could be from regular purple potatoes.  We have planted them once too.  We have also planted purple carrots, purple beans, and we even picked a peck of purple peppers we planted previously.  Either way, these chips are addicting!  I wonder if it has anything to do with the color or if I'd like them just as much if they were a different color?  Dumb question! 
   

The water was blue after boiling them...
It was probably blue sad that it's job was done and now it was being dumped right down the drain.  I wonder if I could have found a use for blue water?  
To answer your question...yes, it did stain my white sink.  But I was totally fine with that. I would've been more fine with it if it had been more purple and less blue.

I am not into violence, but these babies needed a good beating!  
This is what they looked like after beating them.
 They are good to go!  And they tasted delish too!


This crust may be the best part of the entire cheesecake!  It has macadamia nuts in it and the most incredible flavor! Just the smell of it baking was enough to transport me back to Hawaii for a few moments.  Mmm...


Finally in the oven getting some heat.


Meanwhile back at the ranch stove... I am cooking the Haupia.  Haupia is really just coconut pudding that sets up after chilling.


Done!

 
After topping with the Haupia


After letting it set up in the fridge.


TA DA!!!!!


It tastes as YUMMY as it LOOKS!
 
Another angle... it's best side.
  
Here's the recipe for those of you adventurous enough to try it! And if you're not, then just take a vacay to the Hilo Hawaiian Hotel where it is served!
  
Purple Sweet Potato Cheesecake

Makes One 9-inch Cheesecake
Ingredients: 
    Crust:
    ¾ cup macadamia nuts, finely chopped
    ¾ cup graham cracker crumbs
    ½ cup melted butter

    Cheesecake:
    1½ cups steamed and mashed
            Okinawa purple sweet potatoes  
            (takes approximately 2 potatoes)
    1 pound cream cheese
            (two-8 ounce packages)
    3 large eggs
    ¾ cup sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Haupia:

2 cups coconut milk
1 cup sugar
2 cups water
½ cup cornstarch

Directions:

To prepare the crust:  Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix all ingredients. Pat the crust into a 9-inch spring form pan. Bake for 10 minutes in 350°F oven. Remove the pan from the oven, but leave the oven on.

To prepare the cheesecake:  Put the mashed sweet potato, cream cheese, eggs, sugar, and vanilla in a mixer bowl and beat until well blended. Pour the cheesecake batter over the crust in the spring form pan. Bake for 1 hour in the 350°F oven. Cool completely.

To prepare the haupia:  Mix together the coconut milk, sugar, water, and cornstarch in a heavy saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the haupia thickens.

To assemble:  Spread the warm haupia evenly over the top of the cheesecake.

Recipe courtesy of Hilo Hawaiian Hotel

~ ~ ~ 

I was glad I had the flower left over from my Anniversary bouquet because it was just the perfect touch!
...though I don't think it's edible.
 
Yes, I do believe I will make this purple-licious treat again! And you should try it too!
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Audrey said...

What a great tribute to the fruit of your labors! It looks yummy! However since I detest the taste of sweet potatoes, I think I will pass on this dish.

Nancy Mc said...

Looks delicious. Could be a new favorite treat served at BEHS!

Jodi said...

Ah, come on Audrey, be brave! I think you might like it because it has lots of sugar and cream cheese! haha

I think that's a great idea Nancy! I should tell the cooks they should start serving it!

Unknown said...

How long does this chill for until its set?Soooo making this for Thanksgiving :) I live in Hawaii&we sell this in
one of our local stores buuuuut,im feeling a little festive,lol.

Jodi said...

Hey Briana! A comment from Hawaii! My son lives over there too on the Big Island! What island are you on?
I'm so glad you are making this for Thanksgiving! If I had any purple sweets I would as well. It doesn't take too long to set up. Pretty quick...maybe an hour.
Good luck and let me know how it turns out! =)

Unknown said...

What a delectable colorful cool coconut pie...will definitely give this a try maybe with a touch of purple lavender to attribute to this purple goodness...thoughts anyone?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails