Monday, June 27, 2016

*Monday Memos*


 (If pictures are too small, just click to enlarge) 
Weekly recap of my rather crazy, insane, but fun and rewarding life!

dear monday, I got in my run early this morning and saw some interesting sights...
It's not everyday you see this...
Or this!  Thankfully!
I then headed to my harp lesson.  It went well.  However, as I got out of my car in front of my teacher's house, her neighbors a couple of houses down were having an all out fight.  The mom was throwing stuff in the street and yelling at a teenage boy and he was yelling back.  My teacher said she is the stepmom and so I guess she got mad at her stepson for something and it was U G L Y!  They were cussing and yelling and she was throwing heavy stuff in the street (speakers, etc.) and clothes and telling him to get out!  My teacher actually lives in a really good neighborhood and she kept apologizing to meA little bit of excitement.   When I left my lesson, there were two cops outside talking to other neighbors.  Crazy!  After my lesson, I headed to North Ogden to my favorite boutique because they were having a killer sale on a dress I wanted.  I got it for $26.  It sells online for $75.  It's a yellow lace dress and so cute.  Dave BBQ'd some chicken for dinner.  I didn't have any because it wasn't quite done enough for me.  I ate fruit and salad and was totally satisfied.

dear tuesday, It was a gorgeous day and I felt pretty good on my run.  Not quite as good as this photo portrays, but good enough to attempt a jumping shot or two.

 It was such a beautiful day.  A nice breeze and not quite as hot as it's been.
I wish all my runs felt as good as today's.

Bryce was going to go to Bear Lake but ended up going to Wendover instead.  These boys are always going somewhere.  Taylor heads to Florida next week.
Bryce picked these from our garden.  They are yummy!
 A snapchat from Bryce ↑
And Taylor ↓ (last week) There's a lighthouse in the distance.

dear speedwork, I went to the track today and even though it was hot, I got in 4 x800's (Yasso's).  I wasn't as fast as last week, but I just wasn't feeling that great and so I didn't worry too much. 
You can't see in this photo, but the entire football team was practicing on the field next to the track and the cheerleaders were on the other field.  As I was leaving the volleyball team came to run the track as well.  Popular place today.  I really prefer to be alone when I am there.
Doing my recovery after my Yasso 800's .  They are killers!
So glad to check that off my list!

dear lunch, I went to lunch with Ayako and Val.  We wanted to get together just for fun because we enjoy each others company so much.  It is crazy to think less than a year ago, I didn't even know Ayako and Val was just someone I admired from afar.  Now we are great friends and really have a good time together.  Ayako told us all about her trip to Japan and how unbelievable it is that her son's mission call was waiting when they got back and he was called to the exact mission they had just visited in Japan where his grandparents live.  WOW!  So cool! 

dear unexpected surprise, Kathryn sent me a text saying that her sister Annelle was visiting at her house and wondered if they could run over and see me.  I had NO idea my good friend from American Mother's Annelle was her sister!  They had somehow made the connection. I was totally surprised!  They came by and while Kathryn ran one of her kids to a game we caught up.  I would have never guessed in a million years they are sisters.  Not sure why because they are both such amazing women.  But what a small world!   Annelle was Young Mother for Washington a few years after I was for Utah, but then she moved here and was the State President the year after I was.  So we worked together a lot.  I wish I would have thought to take a photo.  We talked about their upcoming family reunion and I learned so much about her that I didn't know before.  A very fun surprise. She is such an incredible person.

I tried out this new recipe for dinner that looks a bit better than it tasted. I got the recipe off of one of those TASTY videos, but I wasn't that impressed, so I'm not including the recipe here.  If I made it again, I would make it more Italian instead of using the Mexican spices it called for.

dear throwback thursday, my cousin Mike added these on Facebook this week.  I love them!
My Mom and Dad!  My Pa looks like Mr. Brady!  hah
This is my Grandpa Ed (Eddy Bone) and my cousin Shelley.  She passed away a few years ago from MS.  She was my idol.
Me in the sexy swimsuit with my cousin Mike, Bill and brother Jerry.  My Uncle Rich is sitting on the rock.
This is my Uncle Lothar and Aunt Sharon (my Mom's sister)  with my grandparents Mae and Ed (my Mom's parents).

Thursday morning I headed out on my run but I ended up walking most of it because I just had no energy and didn't feel too well.  I think it's because it was hot and also because I haven't been eating like I need to in order to be able to run.  I've cut out a lot of carbs and I'm probably not eating enough to keep up my energy levels because I'm so frustrated with my metabolism this week.   
I hurried and got ready for my Jesus the Christ study group but got a text saying that there would just be two of us and so we decided to cancel.   I wanted to reschedule, but the other didn't.  So I ended up with two hours that I wasn't expecting.  That was a nice gift.  I used it to catch up on some things that have been bugging me that I needed to get done.  

dear high council social, we went to the Hollingsworth's for a great party in their backyard with the high council and the Stake Presidency.  They have a nice big backyard and it was a lot of fun.  We had french dip sandwiches and everyone brought a salad or dessert.  I made my Mississippi Mud Brownies.  I was so proud of myself for only sampling them and not eating a whole one.  I have been really good on cutting back on the sweets this week.  
We played a game where Flint would read something and we would stand up if we had done it.  On one of them he said to stand up if you have ever been skydiving.  Out of about 35 or so people, only two stood up.  Me and one of the high councilorsMost peeps were a bit shocked when I stood up.  It was funny.  That was 5 years ago!  Wow!  Doesn't seem that long ago.  
Little Mont has a thing for Dave
He's such a cute lil' guy!  We love the Hollingsworths so much.  Great family!

dear long run, Dave took me and Robin up to the sheds at 6:15 a.m. and we got in our 13 mile long run.  It really actually went faster than I thought it would and we ran it in pretty good time.  I was so happy to get that done! 
We were both in a silly mood at the start....

Apparently, things didn't change by the end.  Dave drove by us on his way to work right when we had finished and he snapped these pix of us.  We were both so glad to have that over!

dear aunt dixie visiting, my mom's sister Dixie and her son Bill, who is my age, are here visiting from California.  They are staying at my moms and she begged me to come and help entertain them.  So, I headed up there around noon or so and stayed until after 9:30 pm.  It was a lot of fun.  I love when they visit.  We just sat around and talked pretty much the whole time. My legs were getting stiff because I had just done my long run.  I'm a little worried about my race tomorrow because I was sore!  I dragged them all with me to go pick up my race packet in Pleasant View.  I got my shirt and chip and then we headed back to my moms. 
My Aunt Dixie and cousin Bill

Tiffany and Britt and their kids came a later that evening.  Mike also came.  Tiff brought us all dinner from Huntsville BBQ and it was so good ! The brisket was my favorite.  We had a good time and was laughing the entire time.  Britt FB stalked Sky's new gf
My mom demonstrating her Michael Jackson "Ow!"  She had us laughing.  Oscar the dog came too (I'm holding him).
My Pa was trying to fix something under the fridge but I thought it looked like he had fallen while getting inside it and so I started laughing and took his picture. 

dear pleasant view 5K I went and picked up Robin about 6:30 a.mWe got to Pleasant View in plenty of time.  We parked at the finish line and caught a ride with her son to the start.  Bob was there and told us a bit about the course. He said you will be going downhill and then you turn a corner and it's uphill for two blocks and it feels like the biggest hill ever because of all the downhill before.  There were a TON of runners!  I heard 220 but not sure if that is accurate.  The course was a lot of down but also a lot of up.  I enjoyed it and it seemed to go by much faster then most 5K's.  Probably because of the downhill.  I think it was the best 5K course I've ran so far as far as feeling good while running.  That is mainly because of the downhill. Most are just flat or hilly.  I was sore from my 13 miler the day before and felt like a blob, but once I started racing, I felt okay.  I wish I would have started at the front of the line because the trail at the start was so small and I had a hard time getting around people. It was frustrating!  Especially since I was only 10 seconds off of a new PR!  I am sure if I had started at the front I would have got a new PR.  Oh well.  I finished with a 24:50 so I was happy.  I came in first place in my age division but they weren't giving out age division awards and so we headed over and got breakfast.  It was free for all runners.  
With Robin
Yummy free breakfast
As I was walking with my breakfast in my hand and heading to sit down, they started to announce the Overall winners.  They were giving some nice cash prizes for the winners.  As I was getting ready to sit down I heard, "Overall Female in the Senior 55 and over Division", and  then they said my name!  I about dropped my plate!  Mainly because I am not 55, (not yet anyway, not until August!) and also because I am definitely NOT A SENIOR!  I wasn't sure how to feel about it.  But I went up and got the envelope and inside was $50 CASH!  WOW!  Bob won it for the Overall Male, but that was no surprise as he is crazy fast.  I kept telling Robin and her son's family that I wasn't 55 and so I though they made a mistake and I worried that someone else won it instead of me that really was a senior!  When I went up to tell them I wasn't 55, they told me that I did win it because I was the fastest of the 50 and up.  Okay then.  That made me happy!  I'll take $50 cash anytime as a prize!  Even if I'm not a senior!  A senior in my mind is when you are 65 and older!  Sheesh!  That is the first time I think I have ever won cash and definitely the first time I have ever won $50!  So with my $25 registration fee, I still came out ahead!  WHOOPEE!!!!  I was so excited!   And who says running doesn't pay???  Still having a hard time accepting the Senior thing.  Most races call it Masters Division.  That sounds much better!
Some of the results and the prize award.
$50 cash! I'll take it!  Even if it was for the Geriatric Division.
With Bob holding our cash prizes for winning the Overall Women's and Men's Senior Master's division.  He is one fast senior!
Here I am with Riley who was the winner of the race with a pace of 4:45 per minute mile!  He is crazy fast!  He also won the Ogden marathon.  He is also the future brother in law of my niece.  She is marrying his brother in August.  His wife is next to him and she took 2nd place overall woman.
I think I came out ahead with this one! 
They only gave medals to 15 and under and I was teasing the race director when I crossed because he asked most of younger peeps if they were under 15 and if they said yes he gave them a medal, but he didn't ask me if I was under 15.  I kept teasing him about it.  He told me if he had any extras he would be sure I got one.  After the race, he came up to me and Robin and gave us both one.  We all laughed.  Not too shabby for a 5K....a shirt, a medal, and $50 cash!  And Overall Senior Master Woman!  Eek!  That sounds so OLD!  But I was psyched about the $$$!   
Flashing my cash
Robin and I ran over to my Mom's for a quick little pit stop and visited for about  20 minutes.  She met my Aunt and cousin and then we headed home.  I showered and was going to head back to my Mom's but they were out visiting her other sister and so I stayed home. I wasn't feeling too great anyway.  I prepared my lesson and tried to take a nap to see if that helped but I couldn't sleep.  So I ended up going to bed really early for me.  Taylor had a date over for a bonfire and I had already gone to bed so I didn't get to meet her.

dear sunday, I got up at 5 a.m. and finished my SS lesson prep.  I went to church and had the kids play Priesthood Jeopardy.  They like to play games even though they are 16-17 year olds.  But it was fun.  I came home and made Browned Butter Banana Cake.  It is a really yummy cake. I will include the recipe because if you have bananas you need to do something with, this is one of the best recipes I've ever had for ripe bananas.  I make it a lot.  As I was making it, Taylor and his bud Travis came over to get their Florida trip planned.  They were so funny.  I can tell I am going to have to pray a lot the 10 days they are gone.  They were talking about kayaking in alligator infested waters and going sky diving (again) and all these adventurous things.  Crazy boys.  I am glad they can go and have fun though.  I tell them to do it now while they don't have responsibilities that prevent them from doing them. :o)    

We BBQ'd hamburgers and then headed to my Mom's to visit Dixie and Bill.  The boys haven't seen Bill for over 15 years and they didn't remember him.  We didn't stay very long, but I appreciated them going.  They did it for me.  I have good boys that's for sure.  They are so polite and just good kids. 

Banana Bread Bars with Brown Butter Frosting



Banana Bread Bars:

1-1/2 c. sugar

1 c. sour cream

1/2 c. butter, softened

2 eggs

1-3/4 (3 or 4) ripe bananas, mashed

2 tsp. vanilla extract

2 c. all purpose flour

1 tsp. baking soda

3/4 tsp. salt

1/2 c. chopped walnuts (optional)

Brown Butter Frosting:

1/2 c. butter

4 c. powdered sugar

1-1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

3 tbsp. milk


1.  Heat oven to 375F.  Grease and flour 15x10-inch jelly roll pan.  For the bars, in a large bowl, beat together sugar, sour cream, butter, and eggs until creamy.  Blend in bananas and vanilla extract.  Add flour, baking soda, salt, and blend for 1 minute.  Stir in walnuts.

2.  Spread batter evenly into pan.  Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
3.  Meanwhile, for frosting, heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until boiling.  Let the butter turn a delicate brown and remove from heat immediately.
4.  Add powdered sugar, vanilla extract and milk.  Whisk together until smooth (it should be thicker than a glaze but thinner than frosting).  Using a spatula, spread the brown butter frosting over the warm bars (the frosting will be easier to spread while the bars are still warm). Yield: 2 dozen large bars

 dear manic manikin, a little scary.

dear quotes, 


Nancy Mc said...

I enjoy reading about your running/training. Too bad I wasn't heading to Logan when you and Robin did your 13 mile run. I would have loved to get your picture!
Congrats on your 5K! And the $50!
Loved your throw back Thursday pictures. It is so nice of you to make the effort to visit with your relatives who are visiting.
The raspberries look absolutely delicious.
Brown butter frosting is just so yummy. I am going to try your banana cake recipe.
I'm going to borrow your quote about prayer.
Be sure to post when you wear your new yellow dress.
As always, I love reading your blog! You are so full of energy, and such a great example of living your testimony.

Dawn said...

You my friend are silly, and awesome, and busy and talented! We need to set a day to play for our birthdays! Almost time to share some "love" with others. :)


Related Posts with Thumbnails