Monday, March 4, 2019

*Monday Memos*

*MONDAY MEMOS*

   
 (If pictures are too small, just click to enlarge) 
Weekly recap of my rather crazy, insane, but fun and rewarding life!


dear monday, it was raining hard this morning.  We took the car to the clinic and then drove the Escalade down to radiation.  
ONE crutching it!!!
It was supposed to be snowing, but never did.  We arrived in plenty of time but had to wait for the Dr. to get there.  It's a rule they can't do my radiation until he is there.  It went really quick though. Then we met with Dr. Cannon.  The nurse took my vitals first. She is really nice. I've enjoyed her.  Then he came in and examined things and said I've done really well as far as skin not breaking down.  I am sure the Miaderm has helped with that.  I can't believe I only have ONE more to go!  Pretty exciting.  
A common scene the past month
Every time I walked (wheeled) past this basket of crocheted hats, I said a prayer of thanksgiving that I didn't need one of them.  People donate them for those going through chemo to keep their heads warm.
Being done with radiation would be more exciting if my leg was functioning normally though. Or, if I knew it eventually would be.  Right now I am having my doubts. And I know that's not good. I need to replace my doubts with faith.  Sometimes it's much easier said than done.  We arrived at the clinic and I took the car.  :) Love having my freedom!  I even decided to check out the closing sale at Shopko.  My very first shopping trip alone without a powered chair!  Big news!  LOL  I used my crutch and pushed a cart but half the time I put the crutch in the basket and just used the cart as a walker.  My leg started to get sore after awhile. I ran into Linda and Tanae and Brinlee. She is so sweet.  Then I ran into Sister Fitzgerald. Her husband just passed away and she wanted to tell me to thank Dave for conducting the funeral and how much she loves and appreciates him.  She said he was always so kind to her and her husband when he was Bishop.  She also told me a story of when she was in post office a while back and my son from Hawaii was in line by her and she asked him to go get her packages from car.  I thought she was referring to Taylor but he says it wasn't him so must be Sky.  Or Bryce.  Or McKay.  They have ALL lived in or been to Hawaii. She said he was so sweet and did that and then asked if he could do anything else for her. She told him that his mother raised him well and he is a great kid. He said something like, "She might not agree with that" (Sounds like Taylor... or Sky...or Bryce...or McKay LOL) and then somehow she brought up how there were some boys in her ward that were so good and kind and she said something about Dr. Wilding and he told her he was his son. She told him she wasn't a bit surprised.  I will have to get the story from which one it was.  But, it was very sweet of her.  I have always loved her.  My leg was really getting angry with me and so I headed home.  That was just too long to be up on it.  But, I also made a pit stop at Wendy's for some chili. I love their chili with fresh onions in it. My parents called and they had been to see Dave.  I called them but they were almost home.  Sure feels good to have some of my independence back!  I came home and worked on this a bit.  Seems I say this a lot, but I was so beat.  I guess I can't expect to just jump back in all at once. 
THIS!  Such a HUGE difference from before!  Of course, this is right after removing my compression sock, but still!

dear tuesday, WOO-HOO!!!
HAPPY LAST DAY OF RADIATION!  I graduated today from radiation!  Whoopee!  I can't believe I'm done!  
 My very last time in the waiting room.  I wore my special silver boots because they look radioactive!!!
Here we go!  LAST and FINAL time!!!
I am so grateful!
Things went really well.  My cute radiation techs were so cute and nice. They have been so good to me this entire time.  I got a picture with them.  
They played Pomp and Circumstance graduation song as soon as the machine finished.  Haha  I felt like a grad!  When I was dressed, we headed down to the Chemo section to ring the bell.  One of the nurses had told me I could.  The nurses there were all so nice.  They were happy to let me.  I rang the bell.  
 Rang it twice!
Yes! Twice!  LOL  Never in my wildest dreams (nightmares) did I think I'd ever be doing that.  We waited a while for the one nurse to get film in her camera.  It wasn't working and I was totally good with that.  Not sure I wanted my photo on that wall of the chemo survivors.  I am happy with surviving radiation! lol  
I got a photo with Dave as well because he has been so supportive through all this.  He hasn't miss one single treatment.  I know it hasn't been easy for him either.  He has truly taken such good care of me.  Three meals a day nearly every day, making sure I take my meds because I am so horrible about that.  

Okay, maybe I rang it THREE times!  As I walked down the hall towards the door, all the nurses told me goodbye and wished me well.  I told them I'll be back for all my appts.  I am so grateful I was able to go to that facility.  What a huge blessing it's been.  To have everything done right there where some of the best care for cancer in the world is offered.  So. Grateful.  The cute receptionist was so cute and nice and was excited for me to be done.  She has warmed up a lot over the weeks.  

My Facebook post: 
Am I RADIATING yet? 🌞 Just BEAMING with excitement that I finished my radiation therapy today! 💥 I even got to ring the bell to celebrate! 🔔
I am so grateful that I have been blessed by an amazing team of health care professionals who have given me the best possible care I could hope for. We live in a great time where so many advancements continue to be made in this fight against cancer.
I cannot even begin to express my deep gratitude for all of your prayers and support for me during this time. I have experienced so many blessings and even miracles during this journey thanks to your prayers and faith in my behalf. My journey is not yet over but my prognosis looks hopeful and hope just might be one of the greatest gifts of this life. As tempting as it is to condemn this experience, I am trying to only feel appreciation for it because it has stretched me and forced me to grow in ways that only this could have brought about. Life is a gift and very fragile. I pray that each of you will love and treasure it to the fullest and be generous in spreading that love to others. Because when it's all said and done, LOVE is all that really matters anyway. I have felt so much of your love and I know that love has truly been the key in my healing throughout all of this.
I also want to sincerely thank my family and especially Dave who not only was my personal uber for EVERY single treatment but has also been by my side through every Dr. appt., radiation treatment, physical therapy session, and been my personal manservant for the past 2.5 months and continues to do so while I persist on my other journey to heal this leg of mine from the crush injury.
No one goes through this alone. It takes a team of some amazing and inspiring people of which I will forever be deeply grateful for. I am kicking this cancer to the curb and letting it know under no uncertain terms it's not welcome back!
#ICanCerVive #iwillwinthefight #radiationgraduation #allaglow#wearingmyradioactiveboots
People were so nice and so supportive!!!

We had some time to kill and so we hit Home Depot and Sams.  I'm getting pretty good at this motorized wheelchair!  It's kind of fun, but I will be more than happy to give it up soon!

We then picked up my car we had left on 12th Street and I headed to the Black Bear Diner. I met my friends there.  It worked out for today since it was a celebration for my radiation. The food is so good. We had a good chat.  Chris and I talked about radiation.  She is about half way done with hers.  It was fun and so nice to be out and enjoying my life again.  
My leg was getting a bit tired and started to hurt. I was going to head to an AMI meeting at Maddox, but as I got closer, I knew I needed to get my leg home and elevated.  I was late anyway and I hated to show up late.  I got home and immediately got it up and resting.  I only had an hour before I had to go to my physical therapy.  But when I got up, there was a noticeable difference in my leg.  It felt so much better and I almost felt I could walk.  I wasn't sure what was happening, but I was grateful!  I went to PT and it was torture.  I "got" to do the "fun station" again as well.  NOT FUN.  There was this cute little old man there that Dave always talks to and he watched me practice walking on my cane.  He is there quite often and just so quiet but observant.  He went to see Dave later that day and pointed at Dave saying, "You....beautiful woman....alone!"  He was telling him that he should have been there with me today cause I was alone.  Haha  So cute.  Rob is so good and I am so grateful for him.  The best news of all is my bend measurement FINALLY moved up!  It's been stuck at 132 for THREE WEEKS and today it went to 134!  A MIRACLE!!!  I was so grateful it finally shifted some because I was worried the scar tissue was not going to let it get any farther.  Whew!  What a relief.  My extension didn't budge too much, but I'm sitting at around a 7.5.  Just so happy! I was worried I might have to do the manipulation.  NO thank you.  
When I got home, I figured out why the miracle.  My friend Gary, who is a cancer survivor, had sent me a message informing me that he asked his friend, mentor, leader Elder Steven K. Randell of the Seventy, if he would put my name on the prayer roll of the 1st Presidency and Quorum of the 12 Apostles. I was so humbled and so honored that he would ask and that Elder Randell would do that.  What a blessing.  People have been so nice and so many have gone out of there way to help me in so many ways.  I truly don't deserve it.   But I KNOW without any doubt that the reason my leg had such a huge improvement is because of this.  I have been blessed with so many miracles through all this.  It is NO coincidence that my leg improved for the first time in three weeks, at the same time of all this.  My testimony has grown in leaps and bounds through all this.  I have felt HF hand in this every step of the way. He has blessed with so many little things and so many MIRACLES!  I am so grateful for Him and for His blessings and for His love for me even though I know I don't deserve all He has blessed me with. But I am still so grateful for it.  Things happen every single day.  There is no denying divine intervention has been involved here.
I can't believe I am done!!!
My diploma!  It came in the mail a few days later.

On my way home from PT, I was craving refried beans and rice.  I forgot I used to get that at Taco Time and instead went to Taco Bell for the Mexican Pizza.  Big mistake.  I waited for over 30 minutes.  Geeze. I had pulled out in the front to wait for my order and finally after that long, I called in on my phone since walking in would be too much work.  They said my order had been erased somehow. Geeze.  They finally brought it out and didn't charge me.  I should have just gone home. But when you want refried beans, ya gotta have them!  Hah  And... I really enjoyed my independence.  First time eating fast food in a very long time.  

My cute ministering sister (Bailey) left this on my porch!  So cute and so YUM!
I forgot to mention that I woke this morning with a burning wrist.  I also had two bite marks. It stung more than itched.  I am pretty sure it was from a spider. Dave's not so sure.  But the kicker is, I had a red line going up my arm!  Yeah, we all know what that means!  Too many Twizzlers!  JK   Yes, I got a blood infection from the bite!  So bizarre!  So many weird things keep happening to my body lately!  Dave immediately got me on antibiotics.  I have been bitten many times it has never turned into an infection!  So. So. Bizarre.  

dear wednesday, today was the first day I didn't have to get up early for radiation but I still woke up at 5:50 a.m., my usual time.  It felt so good to not have to be out the door by 7 a.m.  I didn't get in the shower until about 10 though. I think I need to still get up and going early even though I don't have to be anywhere.  Since I am not running now, I could be ready for the day early. I had lunch with Jen today.  We met at Old Grist.  It was raining pretty much all day.  Love the rain.  Love Old Grist.  Love their salads and their grilled turkey bacon avocado. Love their mint brownies.  One of the best places in BC for sure.  We had a good chat then she had to get back to work.  I came right home.  I worked on catching this up and I lost it all!  No idea how.  But the hour or two I spent on it was all for naught.  So frustrating because no idea how I will remember all the details of the past three or four days.  I truly hope doing this is all worth it.  I often wonder.  

I read more comments on my Facebook post about being done with radiation.  The Boston one's comments are the funnest and most inspiring to read.  The running community and especially the Boston Marathon runners are so supportive.  Truly a different breed.  Then I saw that the cover photo for the page was me!!!  There are almost 7000 members and the administrator choose my photo of me ringing the bell for the cover!  What an honor!
 Too bad it's such a horrible photo of me!
 I posted the picture of me ringing the Arby bell because I was in my Boston jacket that day.  Here is a screen shot...
My post:

I am including some of the comments because they gave me such a boost and were so inspiring and motivating to me and I want to be able to go back and read them over and over on those tough days ahead. 


OH. MY. GOSH!  Best part of it all is THEE Katherine Switzer commented on it!  I have arrived!!!  LOL  But seriously I feel so honored!  She is my running hero!!!  Meeting her is on my bucket list!

It was a BIG DAY!!!  I was pretty wiped out today.  I can tell the radiation fatigue is peaking.  It's truly a zombie like fatigue. Sometimes I just stare into nothing.  I slept for two hours (from about 9 until 11 pm).  So grateful for that!

dear thursday, I didn't sleep well at all last night.  I got about two hours or so but when Dave came to bed, he woke me up and I was basically awake from then on.  Ugh.  I tried everything.  Lavender oil, reading my scriptures, the 4-7-8 breathing, podcasts, TV, etc. Nothing was helping.  So frustrating.  I tried everything but Tylenol.  My leg was hurting pretty bad and so that is maybe partly why too. It's almost like I am too exhausted to sleep, if that makes any sense.  I was so exhausted by morning. Today I got my PT done early (at least most of it).  Robin picked me up for lunch and we went to Costa Vida.  We had a good chat. She helped me carry in my leftovers even though I was totally okay, but I think she wanted to chat a bit more.  After about 40 minutes, my leg was dying.  I can't stand on it that long without a lot of pain.  Maybe it's good for me to train it, but I just wanted to sit down.  I keep thinking since I am progressing so well, that I no longer have to be careful with it, but the blood clots are obviously still doing their thing.  When I take off my compression sock, my entire foot is purple.  So, even when I get my extension back, it doesn't mean I'm out of the woods.  Did my PT again.  I was pretty tired the rest of the day.  I guess I have to expect that.  I did some reading and was ready for bed by 8 but didn't get to sleep until about 11.  

I received this sweet note in the mail from my dear AMI friends.  I feel bad I missed the meeting, but this meant so much to me because I admire these women so much.

dear friday, Taylor came home pretty early this morning.  It was good to see him.  He mostly studied while he was here and fixed his car.  I had physical torture this afternoon.  It went pretty well.  I actually improved again on my bend!  It was stuck at 132 for three weeks and went to 134 on Tuesday and today it was 139!  He wrote down 138 because the measurement on the wall was only 137.  WOO HOO!  My extension was still stuck at a 7.  I did the "Fun Station" again and he had the expander on my thigh instead of ankle and that was MUCH more "fun"! NOT!  I was doing Lamaze breathing because it was so painful and I wasn't sure I could do it. I had to do it for 10 minutes and the last 3 were PURE TORTURE!  I have no idea how I survived! LOL  Then he pushed my knee down clear to the table after that.  OUCH!  Man, this is crazy!  But needed.  I feel so bad that the cute old man with oxygen that was always in there on the weights, died yesterday.  He was so cute.  He was always there just working away minding his own business.  He went in and saw Dave on Tuesday, and pointed his finger at him and said, "You...beautiful woman...alone!"  Dave always went with me and he was chastising him for not being there with me.  So cute.  Little did I know that would be the last time I would see him.  He ended up dying two days later.  So sad.  Life is precious and fragile we need to always remember to CHERISH THE MOMENTS!!!  
I cherish the moments with this cute lil' guy!  I luff him so much! 
I hit Old Grist for some mint brownies. Mmmm.... Then went to Seagull.  It was nice to get out! :)  Dave and I went to Maddox Drive In for a mini burger.  I took my cane and could barely walk back inside.  Not sure why my leg does better at certain times, but it was shot tonight.  
I received this VERY unexpected package in the mail today!  The Ogden Marathon people sent me this!  I had sent them an email asking if I had really registered for the half because they sent me an email stating I had.  I explained my situation to them in the email stating I really hoped I hadn't registered because of all that is happening right now.  They were so nice and told me I could defer it to next year.  They don't normally allow that and so I was very happy.  And then I got all this in the mail!  They are on their toes because earlier I asked if I could buy one of the purple Winter Race Circuit shirts even though I was unable to run it this year.  They somehow remembered that I guess.  Anyway, I was impressed.

dear saturday, today I had a hair appointment at 9 a.m.  I like having to be somewhere early because once I am up and moving it seems to make me feel a little bit less tired.  I had a color and so I was there for quite a while. I held both her dogs, but not the cats because the dogs scare them off.  It felt good to have my hair done after almost three months!  :)  
I then was going to hit Walmart for my first time since this all happened but the closer I got the more I didn't want to. I figured it would be so packed on a Saturday and I just didn't want to fight the crowds. So instead I came home and sent Dave my list. Hah  He was in SLC with Sky and Scott fixing the hot water heater at the condo.  I did my PT and rested a bit and then Sky, Sarah, and Carson arrived.  I went down and chatted with them for a while.  Was going to take Sky to Maddox for his birthday but Dave said it was fast Sunday tomorrow.  Carson and I watched a movie.  

dear sunday,  HAPPY 34th BIRTHDAY TO MY FIRSTBORN!  Man, I am still uncertain how he can be 34 when I am still 29???  

☆*☆*☆*☆ Happy Birthday!!☆*☆*☆*☆ to this amazing guy who made me a mama! You have truly blessed our lives and taught us how to live our dreams and not take a single day for granted while living life to the fullest. Your drive and determination has always inspired me and I love watching you go after your dreams. We are so proud of you and your good heart and for all the lives you have changed for the better. We love you! Happy Birthday Skyler!!!


I did this two years ago on Facebook:
Jodi  updated her status.

In honor of upcoming Mother's Day: ALL ABOUT YOUR FIRST BORN
1. Were you married? Yes
2. Did you have an epidural? Yes. It was the only one that worked out of the five boys. The rest only took on one side.
3. Were you induced? No
4. How old were you? 23
5. How did you find out? Felt green so took the test
6. Did you want to find out the sex? It wasn't done back then, but even if they did,  I don't think I would have.
7. Due Date? March 25th-ish
8. Did you deliver early or late?Three weeks early
9. Did you have morning sickness? Morning, Afternoon, and Evening
10. What did you crave? KFC mashed potatoes and gravy and strawberries
11. How many pounds did you gain? 24
12. What was the sex of the baby? Boy
13. Did you have any complications? No
14. Where did you give birth? Brigham City, Utah
15. How many hours were you in labor? 8 hours
16. How much did your baby weigh? 6 lbs. 15 oz.
17. What did you name the baby? Skyler David
18. How old is your baby today? 32
Carson and I went to church and Sky and Sarah came right after us.  There were a lot of sick people today and some really hacking away. Sky didn't want Carson to get sick for a lot of reasons and so they went home. I was tempted but I went to Primary.  I sat on the back row and had my legs crossed (something I am now able to do) and a boy went zipping past me and almost took my leg out.  Whew!  That would have been painful! I kept them uncrossed after that!  In the class my new Sunbeams are SO adorable!  They seem so much younger than my other ones.  There were only four there and three of us.  Hah  It was quite the contrast from my other class.  They were so quiet and still and so well behaved.  I felt relaxed after instead of like I had just run a marathon.  Going from nine (with a couple very high strung and not well behaved kids) to four totally mellow ones was a huge change. It was like night and day. I teach next week.  I included little Ezra in this even though he was absent today.
I came home and made Sky's cake. I usually make him a Boston Cream Pie Cake but it is a lot of work and I'm not quite up for that yet.  So I made him a Better Than Tom Cruise cake.  :)  I did okay though I had Dave get a few of the ingredients so I wasn't up on my leg the whole time.  We then ate Hawaiian Haystacks per Sky's request.  They were so yummy.  Everyone was here except Taylor.  He was on call at the fire station.  Hailey came but her kids were with their dad.
 The Birthday Boy

My parents and Dave's parents arrived and we had the party.  It was a lot of fun. 

 Happy 34th!
I am so grateful he is so happy.  Sarah and Carson have really made his life wonderful.
Sky opened his gifts and then we had cake and ice cream.  Twas a fun time. 

This is the card Carson made for Sky.
My mother was a total hoot!  I was telling a story of when I dropped Sky in his carrier on the cement stairs when he was baby.  I said, "But I grabbed his thing"... (meaning the handle on the carrier), and before I could finish she blurted out (as only she can), "You grabbed his thing!?"  Oh. My. Gosh. It was so hilarious. Everyone died laughing. I was laughing so hard I couldn't breath and I had tears streaming down my face.  I couldn't even talk.  She is so dang funny. She kept rambling on after and that made it even funnier.  I sure do love that woman.  She is so much fun and I can't even imagine how boring life is going to be when she's no longer around.  I am so grateful she still is!  It was pretty scary there for a while.  
 Carson got out his box that I have saved all of his "presents" that he has given me.  He is so proud of it.  He had to show everyone.  
 Sky with Grammy and Grampy and a cute little photo bomber.

Sky with Grandpa and Grandma Jo

dear random, this is a chart someone posted on the Boston Marathon Training page that basically shows that it gets harder to qualify for Boston the older you get (by time compared to younger ages) and the hardest time of all is for WOMEN in the over 55 age group!  So basically I BQ'd in the hardest bracket. I chopped off part of this chart.  But, I wish they would make it fair straight across the board!  


My cute friend Jamie, gave me this adorable chocolate bunny!
Speaking of chocolate...
Dave is keeping me supplied with Idle Isle chocolate covered almonds. Mmmmmm....my fave!
AMEN TO THIS!!! ↓
Image may contain: Jodi VanDenakker Wilding, smiling, text that says 'What Are You Made Of? Jodi, you're made of Chocolate You are sweet, sensual and passionate. You make people desire you, and it's impossible not to fall in love with you!'


Love this guy!!!


dear quotes, 










1 comment:

Dawn Ropelato said...

Woot Woot for all progress! Aren't you so glad that you have a great family to fill your time? Even when you're down they are there. I love that!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails