Monday, May 17, 2021

Called to speak in Stake Conference (AKA bear testimony with no warning)

 
Getting called to speak in Stake Conference on May 16, 2021 by Dave (President Wilding).
We had stake conference yesterday but it was on Zoom with the exception of the speaker's families and the high counselors and their families. I was sitting there enjoying the meeting immensely UNTIL Dave sends me a text that says, "Do you have anything to say?" I responded with a "NO!!!!!!!"

He was a bit panicked because they had extra time and he felt he needed to fill it and so WHO better to ask than his "supportive" spouse!? haha

Had McKay not been there I would have never seen his text because I don't generally look at my phone during church meetings. Luckily, McKay does! hah He sent him one to tell him to tell me to check my phone! LOL

After my vehemently written "No!!!!!" Dave then wrote, "Maybe just your testimony?" UGH! Seriously HOW DO YOU SAY NO to someone asking you to share your testimony? I was about to write, "Let's just get out really early and everyone will love you even more!" But, the guilt came through loud and clear and I wrote back, "It won't be very long". To which he responded, "Thank you!" Seeing those words shook me up a bit and I wrote back, "That was NOT a yes!" Though inside I KNEW it was!

Anyway, the funny thing about this whole story is the fact that a few weeks ago I was interviewed by another SP wife (Pres. Shepherd's) who is writing either a blog or developing an IG account to help support women who support their husband's in big callings. I had a three hour lunch with her asking me questions and videoing my answers. One of her questions was what advice I would give a new woman about to take on this same thing (wife of Stake President), and my response was, "My number one advice is to ALWAYS have a talk prepared!" The reason that is my #1 advice is because I was called up during stake conference without ANY warning (at the packed tabernacle) to share my testimony when Elder Randall came as our visiting authority. I seriously thought I was going to have a heart attack! It was terrifying! And I am used to speaking! I just don't like speaking with NO warning! Ever since then I thought when a GA comes I need to have a talk prepared just in case!

That is STILL my #1 advice ONLY NOW It means even if there is NOT a visiting GA! I totally never thought it would happen when Dave was in charge! He would never do that to me! 😜

So as I was walking up, he was telling that little story. Of course, when I got to the pulpit (after I leaned over to his counselor and whispered, "You are really going to miss Dave. He is going to be dead after this!"), the first thing I said to the congregation was, "Yes, the story is true, but the ironic thing is, I DON'T have a talk prepared!" I am not sure they were amused or felt sorry for me!

I ended up saying a lot of "ummms" and pauses as I tried to gather my thoughts. I am glad I had just done the podcast because I had a lot of that fresh in my mind. I spoke mostly about FAITH. Pres. Hollingsworth had given a quote in his talk just before by Pres. Nelson on faith. The quote is: "Faith in Jesus Christ is the greatest power available to us in this life. All things are possible to them that believe."

And that quote was the basis of my testimony. I also talked about how I had several health challenges hit me all at once and I experienced great miracles and I related how that applies to faith. I said how faith has great power and that Heavenly Father wants to bless us. We aren't just down here to suffer and endure but he also wants to send us blessings and things we enjoy. I then spoke about the power of gratitude and that it truly has almost magical powers and can help out of any kind of despair or sorrow. I added that miracles happen as a result of faith if we BELIEVE. I also added that sometimes we don't get the miracles we hope and pray for and I don't know why, but God does. He has a plan and His plan is always greater than our own. I added that those two things Faith and Gratitude go hand in hand and if we can have both of them we can get through anything in life. "The Lord does not require perfect faith for us to have access to His perfect power. But He does ask us to believe." Pres. Nelson

TRUTH be told, I really have NO idea what I said! I hope that means the spirit took over so they could make sense of my words because in my mind they were all jumbled.

I did receive several messages after (15 to be exact) of people thanking me or telling me that is what they needed to hear. I was tempted to ask them what I said, but resisted the urge. hah

Anyway, then this morning I listened to an AMAZING podcast and I swear half the stuff she said was what I said. At least what was in my heart. Even though I have no idea what I said, I am pretty sure that is what I said! haha

Anyway, there is that!!!

HERE is the link to Pres. Nelson's amazing talk!

I will link the podcast because it has so much in it of what I said.

It is COME FOLLOW ME FOR US by Melanie. I love her podcast!

And HERE is Pres. Uchdorph's amazing talk she talks about on the podcast.

🙃

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails