Monday, August 7, 2017

*Monday Memos*

*MONDAY MEMOS*

   
 (If pictures are too small, just click to enlarge) 
Weekly recap of my rather crazy, insane, but fun and rewarding life!



dear monday, got up at 4:50 a.m. to get in my 17 mile long run. I met Robin at 5:30 and we ran north, west, south, east, north, east and south again.  We basically went to Harper Ward then almost to Corinne, then to Perry and back.  I was feeling my piraformas at mile 7.  It stayed with me the rest of the day.  I had to keep stopping and stretching it.  Robin is getting much stronger. I'm proud of how hard she is working. We ended on the 9th north hill and she made it without stopping.  I'm still worried about my fueling because I was nauseated from mile 12 on.  It lasted most of the day. That's how I feel after a full marathon, not a long run. I need to figure this out because I don't want all my long runs to be miserable.  I planked again for the first time in weeks. I only got to 1:45.  I need to do it everyday to get my core strength ready for St. G marathon in 9 weeks.  
I was pretty tired all day.  Still jet lagged.  I needed a nap but had no time.  I unpacked, did laundry, cleaned, went grocery shopping, and made a new recipe for dinner. Philly Cheese Steak Sloppy Joes (recipe below).  These were REALLY good! Give them a try!
I am so far behind in my blogging I wonder if I will ever catch up!  Groan........

PHILLY CHEESE STEAK SLOPPY JOES

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 pound lean ground beef
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 small yellow onion, diced
  • 1 small green bell pepper, diced
  • 8 ounces brown mushrooms minced
  • 2 tablespoons ketchup
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 cup beef broth
  • 8 ounces Provolone Cheese Slices, chopped (use 6oz if you don’t want it very cheesy)
  • 6 brioche hamburger buns
  • DIRECTIONS:
  1. Add the ground beef to a large cast iron skillet (this browns very well) and brown until a deep brown crust appears before breaking the beef apart.
  2. Stir the ground beef and brown until a deep crust appears on about 50 or so percent of the beef.
  3. Remove the beef (you can leave the fat) and add the butter and the onions and bell peppers and mushrooms.
  4. Let brown for 1-2 minutes before stirring, then let brown for another 1-2 minutes before stirring again.
  5. Add the beef back into the pan.
  6. In a small cup mix the beef broth and cornstarch together
  7. Add the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salt, black pepper, beef broth/cornstarch mixture into the pan.
  8. Cook until the mixture is only slightly liquidy (about 75% of the mixture is above liquid), 3-5 minutes.
  9. Turn off the heat, add in the provolone cheese.
  10. Served on toasted brioche buns.


dear tuesday, I got out later than hoped and it was brutally hot by 8 am. Came home and cleaned and caught up on some pictures and emails etc.  Sky and Bryce were gone to Kaysville helping Barry and McKay was in Logan at USU orientation.  Dave was working. Mr. Cat was out exploring and so I was alone.  It was nice actually.  I have always been one to love alone time. I don't get much and so when I do I savor it. I tried to use it to get some stuff done I am behind on.  I feel like I am behind on everything.  Poor Dave, he is really behind due to his job and church calling.  Seems if he leaves for a week everything comes crashing down.  He spent hours filling prescriptions and paperwork at the clinic and hours trying to get back on top of the garden again.  His church calling always seems to go just fine when he is gone which is a blessing. Though he did make a few phone calls while in Alaska for it.  We had the roofing company stop by so we could pick out a color.  We had hail damage and so our insurance is going to replace it.  Picking out a color is going to be tough!  Figuring we have to live with it for 30 years!  Bryce said we won't be living here in 30 years cause this house is too big for us in our old age.  I fear he is right! UGH!  That is what motivates me to dejunk!  But when?  Always so much to do and so little time!  Sky  made Eggplant Parmesan for dinner.  I have never had it in my life and I was not sure I wanted to, but it was SO GOOD!  It's now one of my favorites!  I'm so lucky to have him here to make dinner sometimes.  He knows how to to cook amazing food!
Troy and Carol stopped by to wish me Happy Birthday and brought me a Hug Hes sugar cookie. I do love sugar cookies!  So nice!

dear happy birthday to me!, I decided to run 5.6 miles to celebrate my birthday. I would have done a 56 miler if there had been enough time. Hehe  It was hot but it felt good to pound the pavement. 
Trying to prove to myself that even though I may be another year older...even 56 year olds can run, be strong AND even jump. I hope I can keep saying this for many more years to come.  So when my brother in law teases me about being "older", I am going to flash these pix in his face!  hah
I came home and rushed to get ready for lunch with Julie.  We went to Maddox.  I had their chicken salad for the first time and it was yummy!
She gave me an amazing bracelet!  It has a 1988 (Tyson's birth year) penny in it and a copper angel wing.  I LOVE IT!  
She tried to get a picture of me and the bracelet but it's hard to see how cool it is.  I need to take a close up of just it.  I absolutely love it.
The only problem is it kept popping off.  We decided to take it back and get a different one and see if that helps.  I had to run to North Ogden first to Bella Me Boutique to use my birthday coupon for $10 off plus 20% entire purchase. I found two cute tops and a purple dress!  :)  Then I met Julie at Hallmark and changed the bracelet.  I got Mickey a bracelet with her name on it to let her know how sorry I am about her dog Minnie who died. I came home and had fun reading my Facebook Birthday wishes and posts.  My visiting teachers stopped by for a quick visit as well.  When Dave got off, we headed to North Ogden and went to dinner to Hug Hes with parents.
 My Mom brought me a chocolate cake with purple flowers.  It was yummy but we were much to full to really eat much.  I was so happy we got this photo.  Sure do miss having Taylor around!  But last year, he was the only one of my boys here on my birthday.  Funny how life changes so much in a year.
I got wonderful cards from the boys.  They wrote a lot inside the card and those cards are my favorite gifts.  I would be happy with just a card that is written inside. My parents gave me a Bella Me gift card. Yippee! Dave gave me a card with writing inside and some Idle Isle chocolates!  He had to rush back to release a missionary.  When we got home, I had a porch full of gifts waiting for me from Bonnie, Sharon, Jen and little Daisy was delivering Brooke's.  I love finding gifts on my porch!  That sight makes me so happy!  I love my birthday! How can you not love a day when you get spoiled by friends and family?! 
My blogging friend Nancy sent me this handmade purple card in the mail!  I was so surprised!  She is the most thoughtful person!  What a sweet friend!  If you're reading this Nancy THANK YOU!  You made my day!  I am curious how you knew it was my birthday!  You need to let me know when yours is!  :)  I rarely get things via snail mail and this was so fun to receive!  I am grateful for people like Nancy who truly know how to make others feel special!
It was a great day. :)  I think women love their birthdays because it is one day a year that others make you feel special through nice comments and cards, texts, emails, phone calls and gifts and you actually feel like everything you do just might matter even a wee bit. The rest of time I think most of us wonder.  I love getting spoiled on my birthday.
 When I opened McKay's card it had a thirty on it.  He got it because it was purple.  Hah  Then when I opened Bryce's it had a 40 on it because he saw McKay's 30 card before he bought his.  I got 10 years older with each card because when I opened Sky's he saw their cards and he wrote 50 inside his.  At least I thought he did.  My eyes are so bad, it really said 56  but I was expecting it to say 50.  LOL Silly boys!  I was just glad Dave's didn't have a 60 on it!  That will come all too soon!
 I received some amazing and fun gifts.   
Best part was getting to Skype with little Carson.  He wanted to tell me Happy Birthday!  He is the cutest little thing and he makes me smile!  Look at that face!  How can that not bring you joy?!  He is so excited because he sent me a package with a birthday present for me and he can't wait for me to get it.  But I will be gone to the cabin when it comes so I guess we will both have to wait. I'm so excited too!  
I definitely got spoiled and the partying continues next week. I have a birthday breakfast on Monday and a lunch on Tuesday that I'm looking forward to! One of the best parts of having a Facebook account is on your birthday.  It is so nice to be wished a Happy Birthday by so many friends.  I think I got close to 170 wishes. People are so kind to take the time to do that.  

FB post:
Feeling deeply blessed today for all the love I have felt thanks to your kind and sweet birthday wishes! It was a great day spent with friends, family, chocolate cake, MasterCard and Visa! 😉 I had one of the most amazing birthdays in all of my (a-hem) 39 years!!! 
(¯`••´¯)☆ 
*`•.¸(¯`••´¯)¸.•
☆ º ` `•.¸.•´ `..."..


*More birthday fun on next week's post!  

dear thursday, I wasn't planning on doing hills today, but when I started my run I realized I hadn't done them yet this week and so I headed to "the hills".  I got in 15 repeats. No idea how I managed to get in that many because it was so hot, but I was determined to reach my goal.  I got in a total of 6.7 miles.
The rest of the day was spent cleaning and packing for the cabin. I ran to the store for the stuff we needed for our breakfast day and then Dave got home and we took off for Wyoming.  McKay is coming up Friday with Weston and Bryce and Sky couldn't come at all.  


dear family reunion at cabin, we arrived right on time for dinner but it wasn't quite ready and so we visited with those not in charge of dinner.   As soon as I got there I was greeted by Kylah!  She ran up to me and gave me the biggest hug I have had in a long time.  It was sweet!  I haven't seen here for over a year!  She still remembered me!  She has a new sister now that I haven't met until today too. Her name is Charity and she's 8 months old.  Little Nikki didn't remember me but that's okay.  Kylah and I were Velcro-ed to each other until dinner started.  How, I love little ones!  They know how to make you feel loved, that's for sure!

 Everyone was either already there or arriving when we were.  It was fun to see everyone!
We ate Costa Vida Sweet Pork Salads for dinner and then just hung out.
 I was sad my boys weren't there!  McKay is coming up on Friday with Weston and Mary.  Bryce had to go to Idaho and Sky didn't have an excuse other than he isn't into family reunions. Hmm...  Taylor is still in Hawaii until next week.
 We had our traditional bonfire Smore night.  Last year I was in charge of the whole thing and I wanted to change it up and we did banana boats.  This year Carolyn and Scott were in charge and they added bacon as an ingredient for the Smores, as well as raspberry jam.  It was actually pretty tasty! I was so happy I wasn't in charge this year.  That was a LOT of work!
 There is always some shenanigans happening.  We had glow sticks this year.  We always listen to old 70's music while we sit around the fire. Aubrey usually comes and plays her guitar and sings but she wasn't coming until tomorrow.  The situation of where to put everybody is increasingly becoming a problem as everyone's families gets bigger.  Dave and I usually always stay in the upstairs bedroom but Carolyn wanted it because she was in charge of everything and felt she needed to be close.  So we could either kick out the nieces on the loft bed or go stay with Karen since her fam wasn't coming until the next day or Kevin also invited us.  Both of them rent out cabins for the three nights.  Linda's fam does as well.  Until we get more of our boys there, we don't really have to worry about it too much yet.   Karen and Linda's fams stay in a great cabin that is owned by Richard Petty the race-car driver in Star Valley.  His cabin is right next to it.  It's kind of like a big barn, but inside it's amazing. I can't believe I didn't get a single photo of the inside.  We decided to stay with Karen.  Me, Dave, Karen and Mickey stayed up until 2 a.m playing a card game called Golf.  It was fun.  We were tired as heck but we all wanted to beat Dave who kept winning.  Hah
 Even though we were up late, I got up at 7:30 to go running.  I ran around the area of the cabin.  It was really pretty.  I saw a lot of dogs, of course.  
Nice to have a break from the heat wave we've had this summer in Utah!
We got ready and headed back to the cabin.  
After breakfast we had some fun with a pinata.  Carolyn didn't plan any games but the pinata was a lot of fun and a change.  All the little's and then the big's got a turn.  No one could knock it out and so I got the bat and went to town until the candy came out.  So fun!  The kids used the pinata sides as hats.   

We had our annual talent show.  It always amazes me how talented these peeps are!
This one was hilarious!  Jonathan was a yoga instructor and had the most soothing voice.  Emily was so enjoying being in it.
It was great! 
  We (the sisters) did one that we threw together in seriously about 5 minutes!  It was a Studio C clip that we tried to make as funny as the original.  I think we succeeded.  I was the P90X instructor and the only one with a speaking part.  I was a bit stressed, but somehow pulled it off.  We had P90X graduates and a modified level.  The graduates ended up needing medical assistance and the modified ones fell asleep by the end.
At the end I was the only one left.  The modified peeps were napping and the graduates were hauled off by the paramedics.   
I wasn't really sure how we were ending it because we never saw the end of the clip, but it ended up being pretty funny.

The rest of the day was on your own.   Dave and I just hung out around the cabin and played games.  We played Mollky which is a ton of fun with a big group.  

We headed to Bar J that night.
Dave and his Dad caught up with Scott and Babe.  
 It is always a good time at the Chuckwagon
 McKay met us there.  I was so glad he was able to come.  I wish the other boys could have made it.
 We had a "bear"y good time!

 The show is always fabulous.

We tried to get a family picture, but it wasn't exactly our best ever.  I feel bad Dave's parents are in the middle.  You can barely see his dad.  Uncle Bob and Aunt Moira look like the head of the fam instead.  We had 38 total make it to Bar J.  The family is up to about 48 in all.
The next day, I was in charge of breakfast with Kevin.  I didn't get in a run because we had to have breakfast ready by 8:15 a.m. so those riding horses could get out on time.
 I had some twinners today.  Carolyn and I had the exact same Alaska hat.  Lots of peeps wore black and white stripes as well, but I only got pix with Sarah and Britt.

We did the annual float down the Snake River.
  It had dropped about five feet since we were here in June.  It was much safer and so we took as many as we could down the first round.
 Uncle Bob's thumb wanted to be in the picture.  Hah
 The crew of our boat.
 Dave and McKay took the second group down as well.
 We hit a lot of white water this year.  It was so much fun!  I love floating the Snake!  Big Kahuna was worse than Lunch Counter.  Some years it's the opposite.
While Dave and McKay took the second group down, I headed to the Dollar Store because I just kind of wanted to get away for a second.   I looked around the store and as I was standing near the checkout, I overheard a man telling the clerk that his wife was bed ridden and had been for 13 years and I immediately wondered if it was Robin's uncle.  When he turned, I was pretty sure it was him and so I asked him if he was Robin's uncle.  He was. I met him a couple times at the Etna Ward. 
We chatted for a long time. He told me he gave his wife a blessing a couple days ago and said that she would be with her Father in a few days and knew that meant she only had a few days to live.  I know how much Robin loves her Aunt and so I sent her this photo of us and told her what he said.  She was grateful because she really wanted to see her one more time before she passed.  I felt it was a tender mercy that I ran into him especially cause I really didn't need to go the store, but found myself there anyway at the same time as he was and happened to overhear him at the checkout.  Robin ended up driving up the next day from her Bear Lake vacation to see her and she died the next day.   So many miracles in this little story.  

When I got back to the cabin, I painted rocks with Zan and Michael.  I had packed us up and so I was ready to go when Dave and McKay returned.  We pulled out a bout 7:30 pm to head home.
 Most of the others stayed another night.  It was a fun reunion.  I am so glad we started holding these.
My niece's snapchat
I was grateful for a safe drive home.  We even saw some fireworks on the way home. I was beat!

dear sunday, I had to play the piano in RS and so I got up early to practice my songs.  Sacrament meeting was good.  I always love fast and testimony meeting.  It was good to be home.  I am not looking forward to my long run in the morning alone.  Robin is still in Bear Lake

dear boys,
Bryce
 Harvesting the fruits and veggies of his labor....
 Yikes!

Taylor
Hating to leave his paradise...
 Diving with SHARKS without a cage!

McKay

 Taylor's roommate posted this gorgeous rainbow.  ↓ Taylor was on the boat and saw it but didn't get a good picture of it.  How cool is that???

Cute little Carson!  Missing that cute face!

Bunny on the loose!

dear quotes, 


2 comments:

Dawn Ropelato said...

that picture of the Rainbow is stunning. I love rainbows! Looks like a fun Birthday....they should be fun and you should be spoiled! You're an amazing gal always doing! Love you

Nancy Mc said...

I admire that you still just keep on running. Good for you! It looks like the family reunion was great. My kids are like Sky...just not their thing :(
I'm happy you liked the birthday card. Love all the birthday celebrating!
I'm still amazed that you can pack so much into 7 short days!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails