Monday, August 21, 2017

*Monday Memos*

*MONDAY MEMOS*

   
 (If pictures are too small, just click to enlarge) 
Weekly recap of my rather crazy, insane, but fun and rewarding life!

dear monday, not a fun run.  Felt really tired.  I guess a 19 miler a couple days before will do that to you.  But I did it.  And, I found a penny!  
I am really happy that this week is not super busy. I will hopefully be able to catch this up and catch up on so many other things I'm behind on.  Like, pretty much everything!  I did do some Family History today.  But I am still at a dead end on what I am trying to find.  It's really fun!  I spent some time talking to Sky. I am sad he starts school next week! Really sad.  I have loved having him here.  Everyone but Bryce will be heading out in the next couple of weeks.  I made cookies for the new neighbors since they were not home for the bread.  This time they were!  Dave and I went over and had a nice visit with them. They are super nice.  I'm excited to get to know them better.  

dear tuesday, it was considerably cooler this morning. It felt so nice running.  I had the best run I have had in months!  I am not sure if it was the cooler temps or what, but I felt strong and nothing like yesterday.  Too bad it wasn't my 20 miler today!  I only went nine miles but could have easily gone much farther.  I hope I feel this good on Saturday.  
A few of the cute sights on my run
Before I came home, I ran into see Julie's classroom at Foothill.  It is very cute.  She works hard.  Her Dave was there hanging stuff for her as well.  I had some free time today and so I did some more Family History searching and adding photos etc.  I ended up with a bad headache in the afternoon and so I tried to rest for a bit.  I didn't feel like I was very productive.  Some days are like that.  I did go to the grocery store and made dinner, did some laundry and so hopefully it wasn't a total wash.
My ancestors - William Poppleton
Taylor and McKay came home from MDA Camp tonight unexpectedly!  I was sitting at computer around 9 pm-ish working on this and I heard the door fly open and then a crash (McKay knocked over some decors on my table in the entry way in typical McKay fashion) and then I heard, "We're home!".  Apparently several of the kids got sick and were throwing up and so they had to shut it down early.  I was happy about that because I have missed them.  I felt like I got two days bonus with them before they head to school.  
Their "kids" did this lovely artwork on them.
Their photos in the yearbook
Their awards.  It looked like it was a fun time.  Taylor was voted Most Funnest Volunteer and McKay was the Coolest Volunteer. 
I went to bed with a headache that felt like a migraine coming on.  I always know when it's a migraine and not just a headache because I get nausea and eye auras, but aura's did appear yet.  I took Tylenol so I could sleep.  Very rare for me to take anything, but I knew if I didn't it would turn into a migraine.

dear wednesday, welp, I woke up with the eye aura I get when a migraine is stalking me and so I immediately took a Maxalt.  I wasn't sure how my run would go and I got out later than hoped and so it was hot.  BUT, it IS getting cooler. I'm not sure how to feel about that because it makes running so much better but it also means winter is coming and I am NOT a FAN of winter!  Running in the winter is not my fave. Thankfully,  I was able to stop the migraine before it erupted.  
I LOVE sunflowers.  I think they are such happy little things.  It seems to me like they are smiling.
I found two pennies and a heart rock! Yay!  It's the little things people!  

Taylor and McKay had to go to Murray for an MDA lunch the directors were putting on and so Taylor asked if I wanted to meet in Ogden and shop for some shoes and bday gifts.  I had a lot of errands I needed to run there anyway and I wasn't sure when we would have another day and so I headed down and met them.  McKay was not in the shopping mood, but Taylor was.  However, McKay did get some shoes and a shirt. We went to Ross, TJMaxx, and the Newgate Mall.  I told McKay he could take the Maxima and head home and I would bring Taylor home with me.  He jumped at that.  He just wants to be with his buds right now.  I love to shop and so it was a fun day for me. I found a lot of cute things to send to Carson to hopefully cheer him up.  It's fun when someone is passionate about something like he is with panda's and sharks. It's easy to shop for them!   Dinner was a FFA (free for all).  I made zucchini bread.   

Taylor's roomies from last year all came over for a bonfire.  I got to meet Travis' stepson.  He is so cute.  I chatted with them all for a bit and then my headache came back and so I hit the hay. I have to do speedwork in the morning and so I hope it goes away.  It's like this migraine is determined to make it's appearance.  

dear thursday, I picked Jen up at 6:30 a.m.  I had to take another Tylenol to keep my headache at bay.  I am so thankful for drugs that can help so fast and enable you to do what you had planned instead of losing a day or two.  We drove to Bear River High (about 20 minutes away) because our high school track is torn up while they re-do it.  We warmed up for a couple laps and then got right to it.  
I was really hoping I could pull off a 4:00.  I haven't done speedwork since before Boston so I was a bit worried I would be super slow.  I totally surprised myself and we ended up getting a 3:33 for the first 800!  We were both SO excited!  And surprised!
  
 Not gonna lie.....it was TOUGH!   
There was a young guy who was doing all kinds of training (running bleachers, plyometrics, etc) and he clapped and cheered when we finished the first 800.  That really made us feel good!  And inspired!  I don't think people realize the impact the little things they do have on others or more of us would do more of the little things. We did our second Yasso and got 3:34!  We were kinda shocked!  Our third we slowed a bit to 3:38. And our fourth was a 3:39-3:40.  My record for 800's is 3:29, but I usually average about 3:45 and so I was super thrilled!
It really helps to have someone with you because they help pace you and keep you moving faster.  It was so good to workout with Jen again.  We have wasted a couple of good years over some silly misunderstanding that both of us were feeling that wasn't even correct. But it was fun. I  have missed her!  I would have stopped at the Pie Dump for a yummy donut, but she is on an amazing life change of an eating plan.  I won't say diet because it's a life style change.  I really admire her for it.  There is no way I could give up carbs.  Carbs are my life!  Hah  My soulmate!  hehe

All the boys were gathered in the kitchen and family room when I got home (including Tay's bud CJ - who I claim as one of my boys) and we chatted for a bit.  We ended up ordering pizza for lunch because so many hungry boys!  I made lasagna for dinner.  I bought some of these jars of Italian dipping sauce on clearance at Sam's last week. They are regularly $12 a jar but I got them for $1.91.  I used them as part of my sauce to see how they worked.  Quite yummy!  

Bonnie sent me a text informing that Doyle dropped by her office and told her that they have moved Mona to the Beehive facility in Perry!  I was SO happy and excited! It will be so much easier to visit her now! I haven't seen her in a few months and I have been really feeling bad about it.  Bonnie and I made a visit to see her that day. She is looking really good!  I have missed her!  So glad she is closer!
I am glad I made lasagna because Robin text me and asked me if I would be willing to do our 20 miler tomorrow instead of Saturday.  I had already carb loaded and so I told her yes.  It will be nice to get it over with and one less day to stress about it.  Sherrie is coming with us too.  I tried to get some good sleep but Dave had to irrigate at 2:30 a.m. and so his alarm woke me up and I was pretty much awake after that.  My alarm went off at 5:20 a.m.  Oh well.  

dear friday, I picked up Robin and Sherrie and 6 a.m. and we drove to Mantua.  We hid water at the sheds first and then parked at the dam and ran to UPHILL to Sherwood Hill's golf course  - 7.40 miles.  
We stopped to take our traditional photo by the 20 MPH sign that we always do when we run a 20 miler, and as I took my phone out, I dropped it!!! Aaaaa!!!!!!!  The bad thing is I had barely taken it out of my Otterbox case which I NEVER EVER do, but I did ONLY for the run because the case rubs and it causes bad chafing.  Sadly it cracked an entire piece out of the bottom and it broke off. Great!  We used the restroom and I gagged down half a gel.  It was not easy.  Not sure how I used to eat a whole one of those things at once.  Yuck!  We then ran back to the sheds and got our water.  Airplane hill was more of a struggle for me this week than last. It's a mile and half long and a steep uphill. The entire run was a struggle this week.  Doing speedwork for the first time in months the day before a 20 miler is not something I would recommend.  My lower half was aching and sore everywhere!  We made it back to the car and grabbed some Gatorade and I ate the other half of my banana.  My stomach could not take in any more gels or blocks.  This is not good.  I will for sure hit the wall in the marathon if I can't get some fuel in me. Not sure what to do because I couldn't gag one down if I had to.  I ate a bit of my Cliff bar but even that didn't settle well.  I need to come up with a better plan and fast!  We started around the dam at mile 15.  My plan was to run at race pace for the last four miles.  I did okay until about mile 16 and then I was done.  I was just grateful it wasn't marathon day because there was no way I could do another 10.  The only way that would happen is if I was being chased by a bear for 10 miles and I had the lead. Everything hurt and I was dying!  I actually took Advil which is something I never do in the middle of a run! Sometimes I do at the start of a long run to prevent my injury flare ups, but my injury has been at bay.  If I take any drugs, you know I am hurting.  I am not sure it ever kicked in though because those five miles were slow, brutal torture.  I wanted to walk so badly.  Robin had to stop and get a rock out of her shoe and we all stopped to wait, but when I started back up it was like pushing a two ton boulder uphill with greasy hands.  Basically, impossible.  But somehow I kept pushing.  Only from sheer willpower and the desire to get done faster.  My stomach was sick. I was weak.  I hurt. My legs felt like lead.  Sore lead.  I think it's what you call hitting the wall. At mile 18, I got way ahead of Robin because she had to stop again for something and I knew if I stopped I was not going to be able to start again.  A song on my play list came on called Candy and part of the lyrics kept repeating over and over again that said:  

And if it don't feel good  What are you doing it for?

Now, that was a question!  One that I honestly had a hard time answering at that point.  It was NOT feeling good so what WAS I doing it for?  In that moment of time, I questioned very deeply why.  I didn't come up with an answer.  Not until I stopped. My Garmin hit mile 20 just before the little store and so I kept running until I got to the store because I knew they had chairs.  WHAT A RELIEF to be done!  I sat down and waited for Robin and Sherrie.  It felt so good to sit!  
With the scary bear that I needed to be chasing me those last miles!
We went in and got ice and water and then got ice cream swirls.  That tasted AMAZING!  If you want to taste the best thing on the planet, run 20 miles in intense heat and then eat an ice cream swirl. There is nothing better. My stomach was still upset, but I really loved that ice cream. 

Here is what I posted on FB:
First 20 in the books for this round! Yay! Only two more to go! Today's long run was a challenge. The difference a week can make. Last week I felt strong until the end of our 19 miler. Not so today. Not sure if it was the heat, the uphill route, the fact that I dropped and cracked my phone (now it won't work), the timing, or what... but it was tough! I had great company and so it wasn't that! At mile 19 I wanted to quit and I wasn't sure if I was going to make it just that one more mile. Then right on Que a song on my playlist kept repeating "What are you doing it for?". ("What Hurts the Most?" would have been more appropriate)  I had to stop (or wanted to stop) and ask myself that very question in that very moment when it was becoming increasingly hard and I didn't want to take even one more step. WHAT AM I doing it for? In that moment I wasn't sure. I had to really think about WHY I do this when it can be so brutal at times. I have a headband that says: I love to run, but sometimes I kinda hate it. Today I really hated it. After my Garmin read 20.10 miles, I felt such relief I was finally done! I then started to make a mental list of WHY I do this. A few of the things I listed were: *Physical Health *Stress Relief *Energy boost *Strength *Meditation *Being out in nature *Great running pals...and a few more. But, I realized the main reason I run is basically because I CAN. Pretty simple. There will be a day when I can no longer do this and I feel so very blessed and grateful I CAN run. I know so many who would love nothing more than to be able to run but cannot. It confirmed to me once again that I run for them. Running has been a gift to me and I will always be grateful for all the ways it has uplifted my life. Now I just need to write that on my hand so I will remember WHY for the next long training run! Here's to the next 20 miler (and hopefully next 20 years!) #icecreamaftermakesitworthitall #StGeorgeMarathontraining#somerunsarelikethat 
#runningfriendsarethebest
Why couldn't my amazing run on Tuesday have been my 20 miler or why couldn't I feel like Tuesday for this run?  Questions I have no answers for other than some runs are just that way. That's the nature of running.  So many parallels to life.


When I got home, my phone started to act really weird.  Sky checked it and a screw feel out.  It was much worse than I realized.  The screen started to do weird things and it started to call random people and I couldn't even get into it.  I knew I was in trouble.  Sky tried what he could but nothing. I was sure I was going to have to buy a new one. I didn't think it was fixable.  I was going to run to Ogden and have iQue look at it but we decided to back it up first or I would be out of luck if they lost all my info. After 30 minutes or more, my computer said I didn't have enough storage to back it up.  Great.  So Sky deleted a LOT of stuff (mostly duplicate pix) and we tried it again. After another 30 minutes it once again said it didn't have enough.  So he deleted more and tried it again.  Success!  Yeah, that one little drop caused so much havoc and cost so much time.  I was saying what a pain technology is and how many issues it causes....BUT, it was a blessing in disguise because my phone had never been backed up and I thought it was backing up every time I synced it, but because my computer had no room, it never was.  If I had lost my phone or something else happened, I would have lost all my contacts, apps, photos, etc.  So I am actually grateful this all happened and even more grateful it happened while Sky was still here since he moves on Monday!  It got too late for me to run to Ogden so I will have to do it tomorrow.
I'm trying a new curling wand that I just bought but I am letting my hair dry natural first.  Sorry for the weird smile in the second photo but I liked the look in that one better but hated the smile.  It takes a bit more time but I think I like it, however no one even noticed it was a bit different.  That's what you get when you live with all males.
Dave and I headed to ward temple night at the Ogden Temple.  He had never done a session there yet.  It's a gorgeous place.  We had a long wait in the chapel and it was nice to just sit and think.  I did have a hard time keeping my eyes open in the session. Waking up at 2:30 a.m will do that to ya.  

dear saturday, I only ran 5 miles today but I was grateful for that because I was pretty stiff from the 20.  When I got back I hurried and got ready and headed to iQue (aka phone ER) to get a diagnosis.  I was in luck!  They were able to fix it!  Whew!  And, I took in the new camera and they replaced that as well.  I had to wait almost three hours and so I did some shopping.  There is no shortage of shopping in Riverdale.  I hit the mall and returned a few things I bought when I took the boys shopping.  I also got some cute Halloween things in Quilted Bear. I should have stayed out of that place.  
I had to stop at Pretzel Maker and get some bites.  I was so hungry all day. I guess those long runs do that to you.  My phone started to act up on the drive home.  I may have to take it in after we get back from the cabin.  When I got home I chatted with Sky and McKay.  Then later Sky and I had a real good talk about lots of things.  I am going to miss him so much.  It's been so great to have him here.  I doubt I will see much of him now.  He didn't come home much last time he lived in SLC.  His classes start Monday at the U but he's going to see the eclipse with us.  Then McKay and Taylor move out next weekend.  I'm not liking the nest emptying again.  I ran to grab some groceries for the cabin. They are saying that the shelves are empty in Rexburg and even Alpine, but that was hype because Scott text me and said they are fine.  I think a lot of this SOLAR ECLIPSE stuff is hype.  They are saying they have porta potties all along I-15 as well as gas trucks and food trucks.  I don't think it's going to be as bad as they think.  At least I hope not!
Janet left me a cute bday gift.

dear sunday, I got up in time to go hear McKay speak at 9 a.m.  I just wanted to pop in and listen to his talk and pop out (most likely sit in the foyer) but when I arrived, I had just missed him.  Good thing he spoke again at 1:00 and I made it to that one. He did an awesome job.  I love to hear his stories from his mission and I learn something new every time.  I also attended our block (I was listening to McKay during RS) and so it was a busy day.  When I got home, I started to pack and Sky had Carson on Skype so I stopped so I could talk to that cute thing.  Sky didn't give us much time because he was trying to get ready as well, but it was so sweet to see him light up when I said, "Hi Carson!".  He is seriously the cutest thing ever!  We got away about 3:30 pm.  Traffic was totally fine the entire way there.  Not sure it will be so good coming back or for Bryce driving up tomorrow.  
We might survive the eclipse!   The store shelves were NOT empty as the hype led everyone to believe. At least the MOST important food group is fully stocked.  :)  #noemptyshelves #overhyped 
Scott had dinner ready for us all when we arrived.  It was a feast.  Ribs, fettuccine, halibut, salmon, (I passed on those). I took up a huge pasta salad and some brownies.  The Garrett's were there as well.  And of course, Dave's parents. Uncle Bob and Moira were staying in their motorhome.  Scott only had Grace, Natalie, and Rachel with him.   
Check out Dave's Dad's shirt.  His birthday is tomorrow on the same day as the eclipse!
We played Mollky for a long time.  Even in the dark.  That was fun.  Then we went inside and played Code Names until pretty late.  Sleeping arrangements took a while, but we managed. Dave and I in the room upstairs, Lynn and Linda in the loft bed, Sky in the twin loft bed, Tanae and Denver on the floor downstairs on an air mattress, Taylor on the couch, McKay in the chair, Scott's fam and Nat's friend Zeke all stayed at the old cabin. 

dear random,
Yeah, I think they are so cute, I pretty much let them eat my flowers!
Now that's the life!
Taylor's Beast Finisher Spartan shirt

dear quotes, 
 That Martha Washington quote above has been one of my all time favorite quotes for a long time.  It truly is one of the secrets of happiness I believe.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails