Monday, February 26, 2018

*Monday Memos*


 (If pictures are too small, just click to enlarge) 
Weekly recap of my rather crazy, insane, but fun and rewarding life!

dear monday, I got up early and practiced the harp for a couple of hours.  It went pretty fast because I have some hard pieces right now.  I felt bad because I am sure I woke Bryce up.  It was President's Day and so there was no school. I headed to the track to get in some miles because the roads were a bit snowy and icy.  But, the track was covered in snow!  Great. I ran around the high school instead. I did find some coins (of course).  I even found a half penny!  
If you haven't got a penny, then a half penny will do.  If you haven't got a half penny, then God bless you!
I tried to catch this blog up but it just isn't happening. If I could sit down for about four hours, then maybe.  But life gets in the way.  Better to live it than to blog about it!  It has been nice to have Bryce home.  I made turkey steaks for dinner and then Dave and I watched the ice dancing on the Olympics.  I can't get enough of the figure skating! 

dear tuesday, I got up early again and got in another almost two and a half hours of harp practice.  I have reached a point where it takes that long to get through all my pieces.  In the past I could do that in 40 minutes a day.  If I break up the pieces and do half each time I practice, that is doable, but I don't improve as fast.  Canon in D is four pages long and I have the first page down well, but I have put my hands together on page two and it's tripping me up because it's the fast part.  I hate to quit practicing until I at least see some improvement and on that piece it's slow.  I am also in the last few songs in Book One and they take time to master as well.  Nanette told me this the time most people end up quitting because you kind of hit the wall and it feels like you aren't really improving and everything is so hard and takes so much time.  But she told me to just push through it and don't give up and I will get over the hump. Running has helped me do that.  Running has taught me to not give up and to push through especially when it's tough. Either way, I still love it. I just wish I could get Canon in D down so it sounds like it's supposed to.  Gonna take a long time to get there I'm sure.  
She's back!
It was SO blasted cold today! I honestly thought it was going to be a dreadmill day because I was not looking forward to running in those temps.
I waited until it warmed up to about 20 degrees and then I headed out.  It was still freezing!  I wish I had wore a face mask. Brrrr....  I went to Kotter Canyon and did hill repeats. It wasn't nearly as cold on my hill spot.  I got in 15 repeats!  Not sure how because my quads were pretty sore from my 19 miler but I kept pushing through.  I kept thinking if I could just do 12, it would be good, but I know Boston is coming fast and I have to start really pushing myself.  
Have you ever heard the expression, "Inspire YOURSELF!"?  I thought about that today as I was doing those difficult hill repeats.  And in a non-prideful way, I decided that I WAS inspiring myself at that moment.  haha I did not want to be running those.  I had a lot of was too cold today, my legs were sore and tired from my long run, I wasn't feeling in my groove, they were hard, I forgot my water, I had so much I needed to do today....the list goes on and on.  BUT...I did it anyway.  So, I DID inspire myself.  I thought of what I looked like going up and down those hills so many times and that if I had been observing me, I would have been inspired.  It's okay to inspire yourself.  It's not prideful.  It doesn't mean you think you're all that.  It means that it's okay to pat yourself on the back once in awhile for the good you do instead of always tearing yourself down.  Try it today!  Inspire YOURSELF!  Because I am 100% certain that you are inspiring others!  So why not YOU?!
When I got home I actually remembered to do planks!  This is only the second time in my training (pathetic I know!), but at least I remembered!  I am only at two minutes (that did not inspire myself haha) and my goal is to be at 4.5 minutes before Boston.  I will keep you posted.  I reached that last year.

Today is my friend Audrey's son BJ's Angelversary and so I made chocolate ecstasy.  I have said it many times, but I love this tradition we somehow started years ago.  
I went to RS and Audrey taught about family history.  She once again got me motivated. Let's hope it lasts longer this time!  We also had some older sisters share how they met their husbands.  That was a lot of fun. I could listen to stories like that all night. 
Sister Mason and Sister Hammon's wedding pix

dear wednesday it was bitter cold this morning.  7 degrees!  Brrr.....  Winter has finally arrived.  I was secretly glad I didn't have to run this morning because I had my harp lesson and I had to practice before.  I also met Sky in Kaysville to give him some medical records.  Carson was with him and gave me "present" (a picture he drew). He is so thoughtful!  Love that boy! I had run in Maverick to get him some little treats too.  My lesson went really well.  There is always so many things I need to work on.  Mainly in my technique.  It's taking so long to get those down.  Maybe it's a lifetime pursuit.
After my lesson I headed to Station Park to meet the City Creek Crew.  We couldn't do City Creek this time because one of them had to take her mom to Farmington so we just met there.  It was fun.  There were seven of us including Jacki. It was so nice to see her.  We had fun catching up.  She had the scoop on many things I hadn't heard yet about a few classmates. We all laughed and had a good time.  We were there for over three hours.  

Then I hit Home Goods and ran into three of them there.  Pam is so hilarious.  I also ran in to Lesa Stevenson!  I think the last time I talked to her was in Home Goods!  Haha  She is Elder Stevenson's wife. We've been friends for years via American Mothers. I think the calling is finally settling in for her because she seemed more calm about it.  They are heading to Asia again soon and will be there for two weeks.  She said they get energy when needed so it's not as exhausting as it sounds.  He is over the Asia area.  She asked about all my boys and I told her the scoop.  She gave me some great advice. I told her Elder Bednar was just here and how that was.  I have always loved her and it's no surprise they are were they are.  I then had to run all over to find striped socks for our half time show tomorrow. Finally did.  I also ran to a couple furniture stores looking for something to get the basement looking better.
When I got home McKay was here but about ready to leave.  I had no idea he was coming home or I would have rushed home sooner.  Dang! 

dear thursday,  I got in five miles this morning and it was COLD!  We have been so spoiled this winter without winter. 
I ran past this and I had to smile.  Taylor was #42 and a Bee.  Brought back some fond memories.
I ran to the church for our bobble-head practice.  It went well.  I then ran to the store and when I got home Sky and Carson were here.  They hung around most of the day.  Then Sky headed and Carson stayed.  We get to tend him for a few days.  As always he brought me a "present" he handmade (card).

I made dinner for Dave's parents as well as chocolate ecstasy.  
Carson went with me to deliver it and then we went to the last YW basketball game of the season.  We met early so we could set up and practice our dance a few times.  The games went well and our first halftime performance wasn't too shabby even though Ann wasn't there but she made it for the second one. The audience seemed to like our craziness.  It was fun. I think last year was better and definitely funnier because it was new, but tonight's was fun too.  Carson made friends with a lot of people.  He is so friendly and everyone immediately loves that kid.  He's so cute. Ayako and her daughter and husband were making him origami and playing with him.  Ayako let him announce when the time was almost up with the microphone.  
He loved that.  He ran across in the middle of one of our dances and I had no idea until I saw the video.  Too funny.  It was a lot of fun.  It had snowed while we were there.  
He liked wearing my bobblehead.
We had SO much FUN!  I love this calling.  We did miss having Val a part of it this year though.
 The disco ball made it so much fun!  We started with the lights off and turned on flashlights one at a time shining on our faces and then started the dance. We also ended it that way.  We danced to "I Want to Move it Move it".

dear friday, today did not go as planned.  I got up at 5:30 a.m. so I could get my macaron order done. There just has not been any time to do them before today!  I didn't get in a run.  I was supposed to go 10 miles.  I got busy making them hoping I could get out later.  I prefer to make the cookie part the day before and then fill and decorate the next day, but I had no time until today.  Unfortunately, I spent all morning and part of the afternoon making them.  I struggled with the feet spreading this time.  I turned the oven down to 280° which I think is the sweet spot for my oven to avoid browning but I think the lower temp is why the feet spread.  Aaaaaaagh!!!!  I watched a video today of a macaron maker pounding her macs with a hammer because of her frustration with them.  The comments made me feel better because most of them said that they felt that way at times as well.  Even the pros still have times when they turn out perfect for a while and then have failure.  They are the cookie that keeps you humble.  I managed to get the three dozen but it took me three batches. 
I felt so bad because Carson was so patient all day while I worked on them.  Bryce was so good to play with him.  I kept saying things like, "Carson, don't ever let me do this again!"  Or, "I am never doing this again!"  Meaning taking orders for them.  When my friend came to pick them up, he said, "Jodi tell her what you said."  I just kept talking to her because I wasn't sure what he was going to say, but he didn't drop it and said, "Jodi tell her you are never going to do this again!"  I laughed and she laughed and said to not worry she would not ask me to. I told her that they are very time consuming and I say that every time I make them.  True statement.  I guess I keep trying because I am a very determined person and I am not one to give up.  Even on silly cookies that are making me a bit insane!
I was happy with how they turned out.  At least I got paid (though not near enough!). 
I was happy they were done.  
Carson and I painted rocks and did some other fun stuff.  He is such a joy to have around.

dear saturday, I can't even tell you how much I was dreading my long run today.  I tried to figure out a way to put it off or get out of it altogether.  But then Sherrie text me and Robin last night asking if we were planning on a long run in the morning.  It's a good thing or I probably would have postponed it until Monday when it was supposed to be warmer with less wind.  I was dreading not only the LONG miles, but the COLD WIND.  I will run in about anything, but if I'm going to draw the line, it's the cold wind.  I am not sure I have ever dreaded a long run as much as this one.  I kept telling myself that I didn't need to really do three 20 milers when I also did a 19 miler and that might be over training and so I was trying to convince myself it was okay to bag it.  So, I am grateful for friends that push me to get out.  I'm usually the one pushing, but not this time.  I got up at 6:30 and met Sherrie an hour later.  
We got in almost five miles and I was pleasantly surprised the wind was not bad.  I was even too hot with the jacket I wore.  When we came back to get Robin, I ran and changed jackets and gloves.  Robin wasn't ready and so we got in another three miles or so.  The wind picked up and I was freezing. My fingers felt like they had frostbite so I went back home before we got Robin and changed my gloves back as well as changed to a warmer jacket.  Yep, I changed my jacket three times!  I didn't get it right even that time. I should have put my original one back on because it got much colder.  Sherrie ran up to mile 12 with me but then had to get home for something.  Robin stayed with me until I got in my 20.  We weren't even sure where we were going and about mile 14, we thought it would be a good idea to call and see if Dave would pick us up and then we wouldn't have to fight the uphill with a head wind.  Holy cow, it got so bitter cold.  The wind cut straight to the bones.  We stopped at Love's and got water around mile 16.  Then we headed north so we had a tail wind.  We were on 900 North heading east (and frozen!) when we saw Dave sitting in the car just waiting.  I have no idea how he knew we would come that way.  He said I told him we were heading west but I still can't believe he was in the right spot.  Well, almost. I still had .75 miles to go.  Robin was done and so she got in the car while I finished up.  I wasn't stopping after all that until I got in my full 20!  Oh, brrr.....  I could not get warm all day after that!  What a relief to have that in the books!  My first 20 for Boston.  
Woo-hoo!  I was so happy I did it!  It was one of the coldest runs in the history of cold runs for me.  I can handle the cold unless the wind is raging.  So, I was pretty proud of myself for getting through it and sticking it out.  
I fried an egg and made some toast. I was starving.  It was so good.  Then I got in the shower and didn't want to ever get out!  But, Carson had been patiently waiting for me and so I hurried and and got ready and then played with him.  Bryce was so cute to play with him while I was gone.  He loves Bryce. He loves all the boys.
After I got him down for a nap, I ran some errands.  He dreaded taking that nap as much as I was dreading that long run. Haha He didn't get out of it either and was better off for it, as was I.  Taylor got back from snowboarding and said he also froze.  Winter has finally arrived.  The boys and Dave all played with Carson and then we made some Crack and Carson made a cute card for Sky.  He always misses him when he is gone.  He LOVES to make cards.  
I get a card (present) EVERY SINGLE TIME he shows up here and he makes sure mine are always purple.  He's a very tender hearted little guy.  We headed up and snuggled in my room before hitting the sack.  I was beat.  The cold takes it out of ya!

dear sunday, it snowed last night.  And looked so pretty.  This little guy looks pretty good too!  :)
We had to make a trip to SLC but the roads were fine.  Carson came to church with me and when we arrived Dave's parents were there.  They like our church time better.  LOL  Carson fell asleep in sacrament, the poor little guy.  He went to Primary like a trooper and is always so happy to see Julie and Tammy.  When I picked him up he was all smiles.  Dave had a late ward conference and so I got some things done while we waited dinner for him.  Taylor headed home this morning and we never saw McKay this weekend.  After dinner our home teachers came. They gave a good message and Carson was impressed with Bro. Packer's magic tricks.  It was the closing ceremonies for the Olympics but we missed most of it.  But what I saw was absolutely amazing.  South Korea is definitely the leader in technology.  Blew me away.
Mr. Cat loves to put his paws under the bathroom door when I am in there in the mornings.  Makes me laugh.

dear quotes, 


Dawn Ropelato said...

I'm not sure who's catching or you? :) I'm pretty sure I know why you get tired....girl, you never stop!I'd still like to watch you make macarons someday. Did you get with Lisa...I want to watch!

Jodi Wilding said...

I haven't got with Lisa yet. She makes the Italian method and I do the French. But I would like to learn the Italian method since some really prefer it over the French. Not sure i would but would still like to learn. Let's get together for a temple day and lunch with her and then set a date!

Audrey said...

You absolutely are not prideful when you inspire yourself! It is what you have to do. In addition to being the animal that you are with your running, you are so amazing that you are conquering the harp. Two and a half hours of practice? Wow!


Related Posts with Thumbnails