Monday, March 5, 2018

*Monday Memos*

*MONDAY MEMOS*

   
 (If pictures are too small, just click to enlarge) 
Weekly recap of my rather crazy, insane, but fun and rewarding life!


dear monday, what a busy week this has been!  I haven't kept up on this on a daily basis and so I am struggling to remember what took place.  I did get in a run, but I only got in about 3.5 miles today.  Carson was waiting for me when I got home but Bryce kept him entertained before he took off snowboarding.  I practiced the harp for the first time all week (for almost two hours) while he took a nap.  I just haven't had time to practice the past week.  I took him to Walmart in the afternoon and a few other stops I had errands at.  He was good.  He found this ↓ instantly! 
I let him pick out a toy (no, not the Panda head!) and that made him very happy.  
He loves to make pictures and so when we got home he made one for his mom and one for Sky.  He is easily entertained.  
Dave is on call this week and didn't get home until after 8:00 tonight.  They are trying to work him to death!
I'm still finding creepy crawlers all over my house!  :)

dear tuesday, I didn't get on a run today because I had to get up early and practice the harp and then head to my harp lesson. I took Carson with me. We saw a Woody hanging off the back of a semi on our way.  Too funny!
He played with Anders while I had my lesson.  April was there before mine and we had fun chatting about the Russian harpist.  After my lesson I took Carson to his Mom and Sky.  I then headed out and ran some errands.  I am trying to find several gifts (shower/birthday) but didn't have much success.  Dave was late again and then had to go straight to meetings.  I was one tired woman tonight!
Favorite scenery in my backyard

dear wednesday, I planned on doing speedwork at the track today but Dave informed me the plumber was coming at 8 a.m. and I had to hurry and make sure the bathrooms etc. were clean.  I would have appreciated a head's up....but noooo.  I didn't have time to run after that because I was picking up Carson in Roy because Sarah had to work again and needed a sitter.  After I got him, we went and washed the car and then went to Grammy's.  We visited with Grampy for a bit and then took Grammy with us to Logan to take the boys to lunch.  We hit TJMaxx first so I could find Aubrey a gift but to no avail.  We met the boys at Rumbi Grill.  It was fun.  It was good to see both of them.  
I took them grocery shopping after because I haven't done that once this entire semester and I was feeling kinda bad. It was fun. And expensive.
 Shenanigans while shopping
The boys had to get back to class while we went to the Adventure Zone jumping place.  Carson was SO excited!  He has talked about going to this for months.  I was excited to take him.  I was so glad Grammy was there too.  We were the ONLY ones in the entire huge place the entire time we were there!  Can't beat that!  
We even got to ride the bumper cars for a while!  Talk about hilarious!  I was laughing so hard when she was riding with him and he drove her out of the boundaries, that I almost peed my pants.  He did not stop!  
I have no idea where he got all the energy he expended because he ran and even went up the stairs fast.  I was tired just watching him.  Then he got on this big open thing and told me he was running the Boston Marathon. 
I told him at one point he crossed the finish line but he said, he didn't yet because he hadn't gone 26 miles yet. HOW did he know that?  I'm telling you, this kid is seriously so stinkin' smart. He does not miss a trick. EVER.  I was his aid station with water when he did a lap.  It was the cutest.  
Grammy and I were freezing to death and so we finally talked him into leaving after two hours. We hit Crumbl on the way out. Mmmm...Mmmm...Mmmm.... OH. MY. HECK. Those cookies are sooooo tasty!  They looked and tasted exactly like the ones I made at the family reunion in Bear Lake.  I think they are the Levain copycat too.
I am not sure if I posted the recipe or not. But here it is again if I didn't.  Try them out!  So So So good and So So So worth the time.  These seem like nothing after making macarons!
Copycat Levain Cookies
Ingredients:
·         1 cup butter cut into tablespoons
·         ¾ cup light brown sugar
·         ½ cup sugar
·         2 eggs
·         1 cup cake flour
·         1½-1¾ cup all purpose flour* see notes
·         1 teaspoon baking powder
·         1 teaspoon baking soda
·         ½ teaspoon coarse sea salt
·         2 cups walnut halves
·         2 cups milk chocolate chips (Guittard brand)* see notes
Method:
Pre heat oven to 400 degrees and set rack in middle of oven. Place butter into bowl and turn mixer on low. If using a stand mixer, use the paddle attachment.

Add sugars and beat butter until smooth on medium speed. This should take about 1 minute. Mix until the butter pieces are completely blended with the sugar and is no longer visible in pieces.

Add the eggs and beat on medium just until incorporated with butter and sugars, about 30 seconds.

Turn the mixer off. Add the cake flour, all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Pulse the dry ingredients on low until the wet and dry ingredients are mixed together. Pour the walnuts into the batter all at once. Pulse the batter 5-6 times.

Pour the chocolate chips into the batter and pulse again 5-6 times.

Pour the batter out onto a clean surface. Fold the dough together a few times until all of the chocolate chips and walnuts are mixed into the batter.

Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces about 6 oz each. Use your hands to shape cookies. Do not use a cookie or ice cream scoop. The cookies are meant to be roughly shaped. Do not flatten the dough.

Bake 4 cookies per pan, for 11 minutes on regular bake or 400 convection bake for 8-9 minutes. The cookies are done when the top is a bit golden and the bottom is also golden.

Do not over bake. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.

Notes
-It is important to let the oven fully heat up. Turn it on for at least 15-20 minutes before baking.

-I use 1 cup Cake Flour and 1¾ cup AP flour. You may try using 1½ cups AP flour. I found the dough to be too sticky. If you have issues with the cookies flattening out, use 1¾ cups flour.

-If you do not have cake flour, try using All Purpose flour. 2½ cups should work. When purchasing Cake Flour, look for it on the upper shelves of the grocery aisles. Cake Flour is usually found near the regular (All Purpose) flour, cake mixes or with other baking items.

-I buy chocolate chips in bulk and scoop my semi sweet chips out of a jar. This recipe calls for 2 cups of chocolate chips. Most bags of chocolate chips are 11-12 oz or closer to 1½ cups of chips, which will work for one recipe, no need to open another bag of chocolate chips.

-I use food handlers gloves to shape the dough, and also weigh the dough balls on a scale. Each dough ball is approx 6 oz.

-These cookies freeze extremely well. After cooling completely, place cookies in a large ziplock bag or small sandwich size bags. Place in freezer. When ready to eat, either let thaw, or wrap in paper towel and microwave for about 15-18 seconds. The cookie will not have a crisp exterior after being frozen, but will still be moist and taste fresh.

-In the recipe it says to turn the batter out onto a clean surface and mix the chocolate chips and the walnuts together by hand. I do not do this step. I add this to the recipe because it is shown in the video. I simply fold the dough a couple of times with a spatula in the bowl to make sure all of the walnuts and chocolate chips are distributed.

-Dislike walnuts? You may add additional chocolate chips or try increasing the All Purpose flour by ¼ cup.

Find more of Si's recipes at 
www.abountifulkitchen.com.  Read more at http://studio5.ksl.com/index.php?nid=126&sid=44113741#pqzbJywh6ULR0Qye.99

dear thursday, I got out early enough to get in seven miles.  It was a really nice day and I enjoyed it.  
I had to make the refreshments for Homemaker's today and so I hurried and got that done. I made Strawberry Danish Delight.  It's my mom's recipe that is so good. Beth did the table decors and I was grateful for that.  I should post that recipe here too.  It really is one we use a lot!  I will put it at the end of today's post.
Carson came with me and went right into the nursery.  I think he had fun.  He made friends with Tracy's grandson Boston.  They were so cute.  
The meeting was one of my favorites on favorites.  Everyone comes with a few of their favorite things....such as favorite new product, website, hack, place to shop, great deal, etc. I always struggle with what to take and share.  
This year I took:
Batiste Dry Shampoo
Laugh it Up book by Candance Payne (the Chewbacca Mom)
Everglade Seasoning (I took it last year but we only eight show up)
Norwex scrubbers for the oven
The instagram "Free Cheap or Free" by Jordan Page. I love this woman and her husband.   She is so great and has so many good hints for about everything. Plus I love watching her with her five little's while feeling I am so glad it's her not me!  hah

Others brought:
After Homemakers I had Carson take a nap and Bryce stayed with him while I ran some errands for the shower. 
I made dinner for Dave's parents and delivered it as well.  
It was raining all afternoon.  Dave went straight to a medical CMA thing after work and so I didn't see him until after 10.  I am stressing aobut my half marathon on Saturday because they are forecasting 10" of snow. I wrote something about it on the Facebook Boston Marathon Training page post that Kathryn Switzer added and she responded to it!  Yes, THEE Katherine Switzer!  It's so fun to have her on that page because she writes on it quite a bit!  I took a screen shot of it: (click to enlarge)

Suzie's Danish Delight Dessert

1 white cake mix prepared according to instructions.
1 8 oz package cream cheese
1 cup powdered sugar 
Mix together then mix together:
1 pint whipped cream
1 cup powdered sugar
Combine with cream cheese mixture.
Spread on top of white cake.
1 box Strawberry Danish Dessert cooked according to pie instructions.
2 cups strawberries sliced.
Once Danish Dessert has cooled, add strawberries and spread on top of cream cheese layer.  ENJOY!

dear friday, I headed out west to get in some miles, but took it pretty easy since I have to race a half marathon tomorrow. I came home and did my Pilates for Runner's workout as well. I need to get more serious about my strength training!  Boston is coming fast!  I played with Carson for a while and then I got to work making the macarons for Aubrey's shower.  WHY?  Why do I keep torturing myself by making these little finicky spoiled cookies?  Aaaaaa!  Especially on a rainy and snowy day!  The humidity does havoc to them.  The first batch I over mixed and so they were too thin and spread.  The second batch were much better but they browned too much.  I did learn that my silicone mats might be the problem with my imperfect feet lately. I am going to order some teflon sheets and try those.  Parchment works well too but I hate cutting it and tracing the pattern on it.  We will see.  I had less hollow shells this time so that was exciting and they did turn out really pretty.  I am sure I will keep on trying!  


I took Carson to Mickey D's.  He had fun but some of the other kids were pills. 
I showed Carson the Manic Manikin
Once I got Carson to take a nap, I left him with Bryce and ran to Shopko to find one more gift for Aubrey. I am excited about my gift. It's a "dessert theme" basket of sorts.  I had to get everything ready for my race and the shower before I hit the sack.  I had to write up Aubrey's From Here to Eternity game that they always ask me to do. I was up until almost 2 a.m.  Praying the forecasted blizzard will be delayed until after my race.  It will go on come rain, snow, blizzard, or shine!  Crossing my fingers!   

dear saturday, my alarm went off at 6:15 but I was already up.  I had to wake up Carson and get him ready as well.  We headed out at 7:15 and met his mom in Bountiful where my race was.  It was freezing!  The poor little guy had to get out of the car while I got in a long line to get my bib.  Sarah showed up about 15 minutes later.  He was shivering!  Me too!  I was not looking forward to the race but so so so grateful it wasn't the predicted blizzard!  It was just cold!  But no wind!  I was VERY grateful for that!  Wind makes all the difference.  Whew!  Lucked out!  I ran into my friend Terese.  We got a photo together.  She is so sweet.  
Then it was time to line up.  The gun went off at the same time for the 5K, the 10K, and the half.  
I'm in that sea of runners.  The purple arrow is pointing to me.
The race was along the trail that parallels the Legacy Highway. It was pretty boring and not scenic at all.  The only time it wasn't boring was when the 5K or 10K runners turned around to go back. It was an out and back course for all distances.  We started at West Bountiful park and went clear out to almost Lagoon in Farmington before we turned back.  I chatted with a lady that had a New York City Marathon jacket on and she said she had run Boston last year.  She said Boston was harder than New York because of where the hills come in. I figured she was in my age division.  I ended up passing her but at the turn around point, I saw she wasn't too far behind me.  That gave me the motivation to run faster so she didn't pass me at the end. I started out with a 8:15 pace and then by mile 4 I was around a 8:30. I held onto that until about mile 9 and then started going at a 8:50 pace. I had no idea where I was at as far as placing in my age division.  I was okay with my effort because it was a flat course with no downhill (which I love and am used to on a half) and so when I finished my overall pace was a 8:56. Not my best for sure, but not my worst either. And for a flat course, I was pretty happy. I much prefer all downhill!  hah  The last two miles I could see that lady closing in and so I tried to push it but I had a hard time going much faster.  I ended up beating her only to find out she was in the AD one under me.  Hah  Oh well, she made me push myself.  I was using this race as speedwork for Boston and so I was happy. I took first place in my age division.  I think there were only two of us in it!  Hah  
MARCH MADNESS HALF MARATHON
It's always a good day when you get two medals.  One medal for finishing and one for 1st place in my age division.
When I turned the last corner to cross the finish line I heard, "Jodi! Is that Jodi?!"  I turned around and there was my good friend Teri Nance!  She waved and I waved her to come to the finish line.  She ran over and we hugged.  She was so surprised to see me.  She said when she saw me she thought to herself that woman's figure looks like my friend Jodi and then she saw I was in purple and knew it was me.  Purple power!  hehe
It was so fun to see her. We were next door neighbors and best friends when we lived in Centerville.  Sky and her son Stephen were good friends and I called her everyday when Sky was in Kindergarten to hear what happened that day because Sky told me nothing and her son told her everything.  Haha Her daughter was running the race and so they came to cheer her on. Brad came over to chat after as well. It was so good to see them.  We went to the Bowery and got hot chocolate and cold pizza. Lol.  I was freezing mainly cause of being sweaty and then stopping in the cold.  

Facebook post:
Survived the "blizzard" at yesterday's March Madness Half Marathon. The predicted 10" of snow thankfully decided to not show up for the race but the runners did come snow or shine. Not my favorite half as it was all flat and not very scenic (along the Legacy Park Highway), but needed it as a training for Boston that is only six weeks away! The cute medals made up for the boring course. I am not 100% sure yet, but I think I was the oldest female runner for the half! What?!!! Yikes! That's a sober thought! But at least I got an extra medal for taking 1st in my age division. There were only two of us! Haha#roadtoboston #speedworktraining #chillyrace

I had to run to Walmart and Dick's before I hit Karen's for the shower and my shower.  I had my two medals on as I walked into Dick's and then I remembered and so started to take them off when a bunch of fireman saw me and said, "No don't take them off, wear them proudly!  You earned them!"  That was sweet, but I did take them off anyway.  I got to Karen's and hurried and showered and then helped set up for the shower. 
It was just our family.  It was a fun shower.  The one I took and the one I gave.  Hehe  Aubrey was darling as always.  We played the game I made and then Linda did reverse Charades and then Karen did a question thing about how well Aubrey knew Sam that was cute.  
She opened her gifts and we were all dying laughing at her. She has the cutest personality and is so cute as well.  The food was so good. The Wilding's have always known how to cook.  Sarah came a bit late.  
 My gift to her
The Fam
I ran and got Carson and got to see Sky for a bit for his birthday.  Not long enough though.  We got home before the snow started but it was dark.  


dear happy birthday to my firstborn, FB post:
░H░A░P░P░Y░* 。*★•。* 。*。★
• ★。* 。*。 •★ ░B░I░R░T░H░D░A░Y░ to my firstborn son Skyler today! He is the best example of anyone I know of how to live life to the fullest. He keeps life adventurous (and me on my knees!). There is no one else on the planet that could have talked me into jumping out of a perfectly good airplane. 😧Thanks for your good heart and for all you do for me and so many others. But mostly thank you for making me a mama! Love you! 🎂🎈🎉



He really is an amazing man.  He has taken Carson under his wing and has been much more of a father to him than his real one and he has taught him so much and has him well trained.  He works with him everyday on letters/numbers/math etc.  It is so much fun watching him parent!  And I am in awe of how good he is at it!  He is so wise and it's like Carson is his sixth child or something. Maybe parenting rubs off on the oldest because they see so much of it.  But, even if that's it, he is a better parent than we ever were.  Carson is blessed to have him in his life and vice versa.  We are blessed as well.  Sky is so selfless and treats Sarah like a Queen (on steroids).  He pretty much does everything and anything for her and she doesn't even ask, he just does it.  He makes her breakfast every day, takes care of all of Carson's needs, helps her with her crafts, spoils her constantly, and even cuts her meat!  lol  He totally pampers her and it's the sweetest thing to watch.  He is just a good guy with the best heart.  I am so proud of the man he has become.  He also just earned his Bachelor's degree but plays it down.  He wouldn't even let me see his diploma.  And he won't walk for graduation.  Dang him!  He is robbing me of one of my proud mama moments!  He studies constantly right now in preparation for the LSAT.   He is a very hard worker and such a nice guy.  He helps anyone that needs it. He is still very adventurous, but I have noticed that has toned down just a wee bit since he's had Sarah and Carson in his life, thank goodness!  :)  I am very grateful to have him as my son.  He has blessed my life in countless ways and continues to do so.  We have always had a close relationship and can talk about anything.  Crazy to think I am the mama of a 33 year old.  Wow.


  
dear sunday, I got up at 5:30 after Dave left. I really wish I could sleep in.  I was a zombie by afternoon!  Carson woke up and was not in his usual good mood.  He always comes and hugs me for a long time and gives me that charming smile of his and says, "Want to play?"  Not today.  He said he was missing Sky.  I worked on my lesson but could not focus at all. I think I have just been building up a lot of stress this past week and it was hard for my brain to release it to study.  I didn't even have time to practice the piano for RS more than five minutes.  It was nice to have all the boys here to entertain Carson. He loves all of them so much and they love him.  We were a few minutes late for church.  I really hate to be late.  Especially at the 1:00 time!  But, I am a bit out of practice getting a little one ready as well as myself. haha  My class went well even though I didn't feel very prepared.  Bro. McCarrey from the SS presidency visited of course.  Seems to happen on my most unprepared days. We played Atonement Jeopardy and it was fun.  When I got to the RS room I realized I forgot my prelude and hymn book.  Oh well.  I just played some Primary songs and the songs we were going to sing. A blessing in disguise because I was able to actually practice them that way since I didn't at home.  We came home and it had snowed a bit more.  We ate a great roast dinner.  Sky and Sarah showed up about 6:00. I had just got Carson down for a little rest.  They stayed for a little while and then headed out. I will miss that little guy.  It's been a busy but fun 10 days or so.  
 He had a hard time waking up from his nap.
 Taylor was trying to lift him up to grab the balloon.  He wasn't too sure about that!
Shenanigans with Dave

dear boston! I got my bib number and wave/corral assignment!  It's going to be here before I know it!   Last year I missed  Wave 3 by one measly minute.  I like being in Corral one because that means I am at the front of the wave.  
I got this email about the 5K my boys will be running. I am so excited I signed them up!  It will be a great experience for them!  They run across the Marathon Finish Line during the race, but it is not their finish line.




dear random,  this I MUST make soon!  Isn't it just so pretty!?  I love the cotton candy on top of the colored waffles!  So fun!

Okay, forgive the insanity below.  I went a little crazy with the FB Hollywood makeover apps and other crazy things they had on this week.  Maybe because I would LOVE to have the $$$ and actually look like the makeovers, but I know it will never happen, so I have to indulge this way.  LOL
A little too much MAKE OVER on these ↓ (aka too much MAKE UP!) But fun to see what I would look like as a Barbie.  I could probably get used to it!  hehe
If I were brave I would change my profile picture to this ↓
Here comes the GOOD LAUGHS!
I couldn't resist!  New profile picture????  Yes or no?  hehe
Hmmm.....
Which look should I go for????
The one above ↑ would be a lot less expensive!  
Why can't we airbrush ourselves in real life?  That is my dream wish!!!

dear quotes,
Amen!


2 comments:

Dawn Ropelato said...

You're a great example of filling your life with good things! Those waffles are so pretty....I love the filters too! Wrinkles gone at a push of a button :D I think your guy is the same one that showed up for me ... too funny!

Audrey said...

That Carson is so cute! I'm so glad you have him to brighten your life.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails