Monday, April 9, 2018

*Monday Memos*

*MONDAY MEMOS*

   
 (If pictures are too small, just click to enlarge) 
Weekly recap of my rather crazy, insane, but fun and rewarding life!


dear monday, it's taper time!  I have always looked forward to taper time but this time it's been postponed because of my possible stress fracture and having to wait on the MRI.  Still no results!  
TWO WEEKS FROM TODAY!!!
Today I had to do my 12 miler which was supposed to be done Saturday, but since I did my last 20 miler on Wednesday which was supposed to be done last Saturday, I am out of whack compared to normal.  But, since Boston is run on a Monday instead of a Saturday like most marathons, I technically am right on. I attempted to try the UCAN in some of the applesauce container things.  Didn't go so well.  It is hard to get that stuff inside. I ended up using a piping bag and it had a hole in it and leaked out and while I tried to fix it, I lost all the UCAN down the drain.  Two bucks worth of fuel down the drain.  Luckily, I had one more.  I got it inside and drank one and took the other.  I don't normally fuel on a 12 miler, but I needed to see if I was able to stand it at the ratio I mixed it.  It wasn't bad.  But, after a couple miles, I was feeling a bit weak and had to break out the gummy bears.  
So, I STILL don't have my fueling down and Boston is only two weeks away!  I wish I could tolerate the GU's or blocks still, but that's not happening.  I pray I can handle the UCAN and can figure out WHEN to use it. Right now, I  am going to have one about an hour before race start and then carry enough for one more at mile 13.  But what do I do if I start to bonk at mile 20?  Most people say they don't, but what if I do?  Take more in case?  It's already going to be a pain to carry what I have.  I think I might take a Tailwind with caffeine for that last six.  So MANY things to think about with a marathon!  Most of us overthink everything for sure, but it is stressful.  Must be taper time!  haha  I read this in an article about it today: 

Sixteen weeks. Four months. One hundred and twelve days of early mornings, sore legs, injury worries, emotional highs and lows, and long hard weekend runs. And now you are supposed to ease right back on the throttle and cut your training. By a lot. You start to get moody. You have so much energy you feel like you are going to jump out of your skin. Your partner has had enough of your complaining. You think every little ache, sniffle and niggle is a catastrophic event-cancelling injury or illness. You start feeling sluggish and lazy. It sounds like you are going through what many runners experience leading up to a big event – the ‘taper blues’.

Not sure if I am to that point YET, but I am feeling sluggish and CONSTANTLY obsessed about the weather!  WHY do I do that? I have ZERO control over it but somehow my brain won't let it go! I have been checking the forecast for two weeks already!  LOL  And...it's NOT good!  It has been raining and cold (snowed today!) in Boston practically every day the past 10 days and the extended forecast calls for most days raining and about 46°.  Brrr.....  Plus, you have the crazy winds that you get no matter what.  Even a tailwind would be cold if it's raining.  I wasted so much time today worrying about running it in the rain and cold and wind.  Mainly because I have run three marathons in cold rainstorms and I am not a fan.  A 5 or 10K wouldn't be so bad, but a full marathon has become one of those "been there - done that" kind of thing for me and I am in fear of it.  However, the bottom line is, I WILL run it no matter the weather.  So, I might as well quit stressing and start preparing for the worst in case it happens.  HOPE FOR THE BEST - COPE WITH THE REST.  I have that quote hanging in my home.  Someone posted this on the Boston Training page:
It helped me feel a little better about things. But, I am still praying for DRY weather.  Of course, I don't want the heat like last year, but I would like SOME heat and DRY conditions!  55 and sunny with a tail wind is my wish!
I was pretty sore from the 12. Not a good sign.  And my plantar faciitis was bad the rest of the day.  I am getting the marathon jitters big time already.    
At least my toes are ready to roll!
BUT....on a good note....as I was running up 900's huge hill and still feeling a bit defeated, I looked down and saw a very shiny object. I thought it was a dime and so I bent down to get it.  It was not a dime but a magnet (minus the magnet back) that had a message written on it.  I didn't read it until I got home.  I have to say I was stunned.  This is what it said:
The strange thing is, before I read it, I was thinking in my head, wouldn't that be cool if it was some amazing message that would have to do with Boston. I even thought to myself, "Like "You got this!".  Honest truth!  And there it was!  
YOU GOT THIS! 
 Wow!  I am still stunned.  I KNOW beyond a shadow of a doubt that this was a direct love note from my Tyson.  He is always there for me when I need him.  What an amazing tender mercy! Here is what I posted on Facebook, both on my personal page and on the Boston Marathon Training page.  It got an amazing response on that page (as well as my own) but the Boston one was very meaningful because so many of the other runners could relate.  It got 210 likes and over 30 comments.  But the best was from someone very special!
Can you even believe it!  Me either!  
FB POST: Yesterday while running my 12 mile training run for Boston, I was feeling sluggish, tired, and in fear I am not going to be ready in two weeks. At this point in the training, you begin to question everything (have I trained enough, put in enough miles, speed work, strength training etc), it's called Taper Time and it messes with your mind! 😜 When I was only half a mile from home (and feeling very discouraged), I saw something shiny on the road and thinking it was a penny or dime, I reached down and picked it up only to discover this.... 

"YOU GOT THIS" was my mantra for last year's Boston and I knew it was a little love note from Tyson sent directly from heaven encouraging his Mama on! He is always there when I need him most giving me a heavenly thumbs up in some way.  My custom ordered name bib also arrived! 

You will have to click to enlarge all these ↓ because the print is so small.  This is my post I added to the Boston Marathon training page and the responses.  GUESS WHO RESPONDED!!!  Katherine Switzer!!  She is basically my hero! So honored!  Katherine Switzer commented on my post!  Ya gotta love social media!  
 And the other comments...(only here for me)
  I wanted to document these because once the race is over all this will be wiped away and I found their words on here very inspiring and uplifting to me.

 My custom back bib arrived!
I was feeling sore all day.  I am supposed to be tapering but running a 12 four days after a 20 isn't exactly tapering, but I wasn't sure what else to do.  We finally got the MRI results back and I do not have a stress fracture. Whew!  But there is some other stuff going on but I will be fine to run it.  I went grocery shopping and bought a ton of veggies, fruit, yogurt, cottage cheese, to keep me away from the sweets this week.  I need to lose three pounds before marathon day.  Hmmm.....  Not sure I can, but at least I will feel healthier!  I was pretty exhausted and Dave was so nice to make dinner.  We then watched a movie and stayed up way too late.  Bryce started his job today working for IMT doing landscaping for the church buildings from Malad to Kaysville. I think it will be a good summer job while his light park is off season.  He is planning on going back to school too.  

dear tuesday, I got in more of a wog today. I was still sore and didn't want to push it since I have to do speedwork (Yassos) this week.  Groan....  It was freezing early on and then warmed up.  
First snake of the season while running.  Grateful it was dead!
Dave was off.  I went to lunch with Betsy (our former across the street neighbor). She misses living here.  I feel bad for her.  We went to Idle Isle.  It was fun. I ran into Cindy Parry while there. I haven't seen here in like 20 years and then I see her twice in three weeks.  Crazy.  I came home and made dinner but Dave left at 4:00 and didn't get home until almost 11 p.m. because of the new announcement of merging the Elders and High Priests. He had to release 54 men!  Crazy! He did 37 tonight.  
Someone posted on the Boston page this about tapering:  "Anyone else in a constant churn of ecstatic excitement and nerve wracking fear going on?"  Here here!  Yes, I am! :( :( :(
If you look close you can see the turks
I was walking upstairs and saw red out the window. THIS was pulling out of my driveway!  No idea why but there were about four cops cars at the top of the hill as well.  Never found out why.  Someone probably fell from a cliff or the waterfall again.

dear wednesday, I ran a five miler to the cemetery today.  Said hi to Tyson (even though he's not there I still like to say a few words when I'm there). :)  I headed to Layton to get some shoes since the ones I planned on wearing are not working out.  I think they are the culprit of my PF.  Either that or wearing them on a 20 for the first time.  Yeah.  I ended up finding some Altra Torin's 3.0 in the color I want on SALE!  I searched online for an hour before I left and the cheapest I could get was $87 for the 3's or $70 for the 2.5's. I ended up with the exact ones I wanted and for a killer deal!  

That was just ONE of the tender mercies of this day.  I tried to find some running sleeves but to no avail. I took back the tank tops to Dick's and re-ordered them in a smaller size. We will see if I end up wearing them at all.  I say "them" because I ordered two sizes since I can't try them on.  I'll return what doesn't work.  I ran into an old friend and we had a good reunion.  I got some more fuel for race day and I am slowly getting everything checked off.  I came home and McKay was here.  Him and Bryce were having a good time.  I got dinner going and then we cooked steaks when Dave got home. McKay loves steaks. Bryce is loving his job.  Taylor showed up at 9 and I fed him. Dave had meetings until 10. 
When I arrived home there was a gorgeous bouquet of flowers.  I read the note and they were from Jen.  
I thought that was a little odd and I text her to thank her and she wrote back that she wished she could take credit but it wasn't her.  I sent her a photo of the card.  She responded with, "Did you get flowers from me in December?"  I told her no.  She always sends me flowers each year but I always tell her to please not because I know they are so expensive. I figured she finally listened and didn't think anything of it.  She said she needs a new florist because they obviously sent them four months late!  haha  What a crazy thing.  But, look how gorgeous they are!  And how kind of her!  She said maybe it was meant to be and then asked me how I was doing. I told her it has been a rough week (not to mention the taper crazies and today was a bit rough too) and that I know they were a tender mercy from HF. I am in awe of how much the Lord blesses me.  Just simple little things like that.  The "You Got This" on Monday and now this.  And to think He had this planned out four months ago knowing that today I would need them.  I have been in tears feeling such gratitude for His love and tender mercies I am getting daily even though I don't really deserve them.  I am so amazed at how His hand is in even the tiniest details of our lives.  It is a testimony to me that He lives and that He loves me.  I stand all amazed.  In. So. Many. Ways.  And in awe....

dear thursday,  we leave one week from tonight!  
Coming WAY too fast!  Kinda....  Hah  I am really looking forward to it actually and it can't come fast enough now that I am officially finished with my hard training.  I did the last of my Yasso 800's this morning. My goal time was 3:46 because that is what I got last time (not sure if that was Boston or St. G actually).  I really wanted to nail it the first round and so I pushed it hard.  I ended up with a 3:37 and so I was VERY happy!  The rest weren't as fast, but that first one took it out of me! Hah  I got a 3:49 * 3:57* 3:39. But at least all were under 4. That was what I needed to boost my confidence and feel ready.
I AM READY!!!
Let's do this!  

This week has been filled with doubts, worry, and discouragement.  But now I am feeling confident and excitement!  The hay is in the barn!  FINALLY!  Mooo.....
Today's speedwork just adds to the gratitude I continue to feel for so many tender mercies this week.  I truly am constantly amazed how many little things the Lord blesses me with that He knows are important to me.  And truthfully, they really aren't little at all when I see His hand in it. I have been in tears feeling such gratitude for his love and tender mercies I am getting daily.  Just when I think life is too hard and I want to throw in the towel at certain times...He sends me another gift.  I have no idea why, other than He loves me.  It's such a testimony to me that He does live and it amazes me to the core that He cares about the tiny little details of my life.  THAT...I don't get.  It's as perplexing to me as to how a Fax machine works. I'll never understand it. ☺ But I am sure grateful.
Image result for how does a fax machine work
But still???  Blow my mind!  Something printed can travel the airwaves and come out just the same?
At Utah Homemaker's today we had our home tour.  I look forward to it every year, other than I come home feeling covetous.  I always decide it's time to build again.  There were two homes in Mantua this year and I actually wouldn't mind building there with a view of the lake and mountains.  I am ready for a new house but I really love our lot.  Sooo....most likely won't happen. But never say never.  
My cute friends
I made dinner for Dave's parents.  Planned it out for a couple days.  Worked on it for a couple hours.  Got it all prepared and was heading out to deliver and Dave walked in the door so he took it over.  He came back about 15 min later carrying all of it in his hands. I asked if they weren't home and he said, "I forgot to tell you they are in Boise!"  Ooooooooooookay!  He has been a bit overwhelmed lately so I will cut him some slack.  Hah  We tried to think of who could use a hot meal and we came up with a few ideas, but I decided to text our RS President Jen because they always have inside info and she would know best who needed it.  She gave us several ideas and Dave delivered it to a man in our ward whose wife just got put in an assisted living center.  He's been having a hard time and after Dave text me and said that it was a good call.  He was very grateful.  It was probably one of those tender mercies in reverse this time.  

dear friday, it was raining pretty hard this morning.  I headed out west and got in four.  I would have done five but I had a dentist appt and besides, it's taper time! 
And here is the forecast now.  Actually, sounds better than it has.  BEST SO FAR!!!  But, unfortunately it will change! 
The dentist went pretty fast. It was still raining. I came home and waited for Sky and company to come.  They had Grammy with them and we headed to Logan to the Baby Animal Days. The rain was stopped by the time we got there, but holy it was muddy!  I took some surgical feet covers to protect our shoes, but we got them muddy anyway.  We had them on, took them off, then ran into mud so put them back on. A little late.  It was a mess!  We had to stand in line for about 40 minutes to see a baby zebra, a four HOUR old goat, a camel, lots of sheep, and goats.  Not sure why the line was so long.  We petted some cows but the best part was the puppies!  Oh, they were so adorable!  Carson was so cute with them.  He wanted to see the baby turtles more than anything.  hah  Me and my mom were having quite the best laughs. Seriously, we were laughing the whole time about something.  That lady is hilarious all the time.  It started to rain again and we whipped out the umbrella.  I am going to invest in some rain boots after that!  It was fun, but not worth $9.  Oh wait, I mean $8 because I WAS A SENIOR!  55 and over!  I told the lady I would rather pay the extra dollar than be considered a SENIOR!  That is just wrong!  :/  
However, with our surgical booties and our slow walk (so my Mom didn't fall and break a hip!), as we shuffled, we looked like a couple of mental hospital escapees!!  We got giggling so hard, I had to bend over so I didn't pee my pants!  We had some good laughs!  How I love my Mama!  I am so grateful and blessed she is still here with me!  
MUDDY!
 Mud puddles...a little boy's delight!
 The little goat (bottom left) was only four HOURS old!  He was adorable!
 FUN!  Hanging out at the barn!
 And then.... there were puppies!  Oh, my heart!  So in love!! Carson was too!
 Keeping Grammy walking straight!
Mental hospital escapees! 
We went to Rumbi in Logan to eat and had some more good laughs.  
This kid reminds me so much of Tyson at times!!! Something he would do!  And he is always asking about Tyson.  Sky says he wants to be like him.  So sweet.
When we got home, Sky worked on my computer and getting my phone set up again.  Hopefully, it will go well this time.  Grammy, me and Carson played games while we waited. She had him giggling so hard.  It was so funny.  McKay and Cooper stopped by and played some video games.  Every time they take a friend in the basement I cringe because I need to get that place fixed up.  It truly is a man cave.  There just never seems time to do big projects anymore.  Sigh....  Dave has been so swamped.  He is overworked at the clinic and then he had been to the church every night this week except Monday until at least 10 pm.  All those new changes has kept them all very busy.  Good thing we have a vacay coming next week. Though, it's not much of a vacay.  I was sooo tired!
Carson went to another baby animal days the day after. I had to add this adorable photo. He was keeping the rain off the baby calf.


dear saturday, I am getting very excited for Boston!  Of course, the nerves come along with it too!  I've put in the frigid cold windy icy runs, the five a.m. alarm clock runs, the "Yikes, is that dog going to eat me!?" runs, the "I am so done" runs, the "wow that felt great!" runs, the "not another injury!" runs; and I am finally content to accept whatever is waiting for me in Boston.  I do have time goals I would love to reach, but then I remind myself, those goals were more about "getting here" and Boston is the victory lap from working so hard to reach those goals. So I am going to enjoy the experience again and be satisfied with the outcome, whatever that may be. I would love to do better than last year, but it all comes down to that one day.  The weather is huge. How I feel is huge.  Will the stars align?  Maybe. Maybe not.  But even if they don't...THIS IS BOSTON!  
I have noticed I have become a little more complacent with it this year because I have done it once already, and as all things do that are no longer new, they lose a certain aspect of excitement and become more common place.  I don't want that to happen.  HOW could that really happen with Boston?  Truthfully, I don't think it can.  Especially once I get there.  It will be nice to know what to expect this year though. T minus 9 days and counting!  
I liked this article: GO HERE. Or google it here: https://marathonkoach.blogspot.com/2016/04/putting-your-boston-into-prospective.html#more

I got in my 8 miler this morning in the rain.  I was glad it was raining because I wanted to see how I would feel if it is doing that on race day, which is a good possibility according to the weather reports.  I am praying so hard it will be about 55 and mostly sunny. But, no matter what it is that day, I WILL be running, so I need to just not worry about it. It was actually fun running in the rain (for only 8 miles).  I was really sore about an hour after though.  There is a deer under that tree...
Running did pay today!
It was still pouring on my way to the Boston send off party my friends were giving me.  It was a bit nerve racking driving in it.  It was in Layton at Boston's restaurant.  Lori was the one who planned it all (she is the sweetest) but she ended up being almost an hour late because she had to run her sister to the airport. But, me, Dawn, Chris, Patti, and then Diane and Jodi Noall all came. 
I was so honored they would all come.  It was really nice of them. I just love Diane.  She is the cutest.  Diane and Jodi had a lot of questions for me about the marathon.  We talked about that and then ended up eating without Lori.  She arrived after we were pretty much done.  They all gave me gifts of chocolate inspiration.  
My chocolate "inspiration"
I have been pretty good with cutting out the junk food this week until yesterday. I ate cotton candy at the Baby Animal thing and then I have been allowing myself one piece of chocolate every day. By one piece, I mean like one candy kiss.  I haven't really missed it.  I have been filling up with healthy stuff and so I have noticed I am more full.  Normally, I piece on junk a lot because the sugar crap doesn't keep you feeling satisfied. I have allowed myself to eat more as far as calories because I have cut out the crap. I lost almost three pounds, but pretty much gained two back in one day because of that. I feel so much better when I run a race at my target weight and so I am determined to get there.  But then, I have to carb load for about three to four days before and so it will all go out the window I'm sure.  It used to be much easier before I became a MW! (Menopausal Woman!) LOL
FB post: I seriously have the best friends! Thanks you guys for a fun send off party to Boston at Boston's! 🏃‍♀️And for all the chocolate inspiration! 🍫 Nothing can inspire me more than that! 😂 You guys are supah wicked amazing! The chowdah was pretty good too! 🤣 #Tminus9days
Look what Lori and I found while shopping after! This keeps popping up everywhere I go. She made me buy it! 
At Rod Works.  Such a fun store.
I ran to Ross to find a cute bag (not really a purse) to carry with me while in Boston. I don't like shopping on Saturday.  Way too many people.  When I got home Taylor and McKay were both here.  Taylor went on a date. McKay studied.  Bryce went to the Real Game.  I thought Sky might show up, but they didn't.  I feel like I am getting buried and I am not sure I will be able to get everything done before we leave.  I have not practiced harp one time this week!  That is a first I think (except at Christmas) but Easter week was just as bad.  When I don't have a lesson that tends to happen. Hopefully tomorrow. I worked on my SS lesson and piano.     

dear sunday,  the boys took off early to head back to Logan.  I worked on my lesson and piano. I am a bundle of nerves right now mainly due to the marathon coming up.  One week from today is marathon eve.  The weather forecast is getting to me. It has been forecasting rain now for a week.  Not looking good.  I had some hard songs today.  I did something I have never done and decided due to my lack of time and lack of calmness, I was going to see if Audrey would trade me and play for me today. I know she can play one of the songs already and I could have got both down (I had one at 90%) but I didn't have the desire to practice for another hour and so I text her and asked.  She said YES!  I was so relieved!  I needed that stress break!  She is the best!  I studied and it was so quiet!  We haven't had a quiet Sunday around here in months.  Dave was gone a lot too.  I have to say it was just what I needed with my nerves the way they were today.  Church was good.  The new changes are going to be very interesting that's for sure.  We had a very quiet afternoon as well.  Dave had a meeting and I just tried to catch this up and tried to re-group - or should I say re-coup?

dear boston, ready or not!!! 
And this group has been a life saver!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails