Monday, August 13, 2018

*Monday Memos*

*MONDAY MEMOS*

   
 (If pictures are too small, just click to enlarge) 
Weekly recap of my rather crazy, insane, but fun and rewarding life!


dear monday, I got in five miles and had to be out the door by 9:20 to get to Carson's swim lessons in Layton.  But the rush was for nothing because his name somehow did not get on the list and they couldn't squeeze him in a class due to strict laws with teacher/student ration.  They found a class for him at 5:40 pm which is better than waiting until school starts.  Oh well.  Glad I got to see him and Sky!
I had to meet my Sista friends at Tony's Pizza by 11 and so it was not biggy.  It was the first of my five lunches this week. Haha  AND, here I am trying to lose 4 lbs before the cruise!  This is NOT the way to do that!   We were celebrating me and Dawn's birthdays. Kathy put it together and sent out invites.  There were five of us.  Seems like the same ones always come. But that's okay.   We had a blast.  
Ahhh, she is so sweet!  And clever!

We got some photos (yes I know my jumpsuit looks like scrubs- I might have to dye it!) and did a Get Well sign to Robin because she had spent the night in the ER because her heart was acting up again.  They didn't find anything and think it's stress.  I ran a few errands while in town and when I got home, I finished the freezer meal I put in the crock pot (teriyaki chicken) and it was good!  Everyone loved it. CJ stopped by. He just got back from Africa for the summer.  He was so cute.  I love that kid. Him and Taylor took the wave runners to Mantua.  Bryce was gone to see a girl he has been dating quite a bit and so just Dave and I ate.  Scott dropped by and we discussed Alaska.  

dear tuesday, McKay and Kaden headed out for a trip to Yellowstone and the cabin for their last hurrah before school starts.  I am not sure why I still worry about that boy when he is out on his own considering he survived two years in Russia of all places, but I do!
Right before I headed on my run, my mom texted me to see if I could join her and Madi, Paigely, and Sheila for lunch before Madi heads back to California.  I had to rush to get done with my run in time but I don't pass any opportunities to be with my Mama. I know someday I will be wishing I had more of them.   I met them at El Matador in Ogden.  Chantel works there but only at night and she was unable to come.  But, we had fun.  
Paigely was very interested in all that Taylor has had to do for pre-med and the MCAT etc.  We had fun chatting.  I then had to go buy some baby gifts and hit Costco.  I also ran to the mall.  I had to hurry and get dressed for a meeting with all the Stake President's in Logan. The meeting was at a church.  It was packed.  We chatted with the Shepherd's for a bit and then met some nice people at our table.  Everyone is so nice.  Elder Larsen and his wife spoke as did Elder Stayley and his wife as well as the new mission president (and his wife) President Hoppins.  The Bluebird Cafe catered it and it was really delish. We grabbed some cheesecake for the ride home.  
I am feeling so sad about Mona.  I will miss her so.  On the way to Logan Mona's son Doyle called me and asked me to speak at her funeral. The funeral is in American Falls Idaho (two hours away) and so I wasn't totally sure I was even going, but I was honored he would ask me and so I accepted.  Actually, I would ahve gone no matter what.  She was my dear friend. He told me that me and Bonnie were Mona's best friends.  That broke my heart.  Totally because I have not been a good friend since she was put in the Memory Care place at Beehive. Carson now has Kid Messenger and so he called me and we had a good chat.  The only downside is I can rarely see his face!  LOL Love that kid!

dear wednesday, wow this week has flown by!  I have been so busy. I am not sure how I can't seem to catch up on things but I feel like I am always getting more and more behind.  I have never been this far behind on this blog as I am now. I am not sure where I will find the time to get it caught up before the cruise, but I know I have to.  It really messed things up when I lost Picasa and access to my photos.  I didn't have to work at the temple today because it is closed for two weeks.  By the time I go back I will have had a month off because of the cruise.  I got out and ran five miles.  This was my 4th day in a row of running instead of walking and it has felt good.  I had to do my PT as soon as I got home though because my piraformis has really been acting up. It felt so good!  I did cleaning and laundry and deleted a ton of photos (Picasa has duplicates and some triplicates of almost all of my photos and I need to delete to free up some space so I won't lose it again).  I had lunch #3 this week so far.  Robin and I went to Idle Isle and were able to catch up.  She gave me some fun stuff for my birthday.  
I delivered another baby gift tonight. Our ward has exploded with babies!  I think there are about seven now.  I worked on deleting more  photos and a did as Facebook post for Mona.  I am amazed at how fast time goes.  Going through thousands of photos of a ten year time span will put things in perspective. Life is short and goes so quickly.  We need to appreciate our loved ones while we can.

Here is my facebook post:
My dear friend Mona Russell, whom I dearly loved, passed away on Friday and the world lost an incredible and remarkable soul. She was a very special lady who brought a lot of joy and laughter to all that crossed her path. She was spunky, kind, generous, humble, courageous, and very dedicated to those she loved and cared about. My favorite thing about Mona has always been that she was real. You always knew where you stood with her. What a blessing she has been to me and my family. I am so happy she is now able to reunite with so many of her loved ones and be free of her earthly cares. She will be missed dearly!
💜 We love you Mona! 💜

Viewing is this Thursday from 7-8 at the Stake Center on 650 Anderon Drive Brigham City.
Her obituary can be found here:http://www.horsleyfuneralhome.com/obituary/mona-russell
She was a great lady.  She will be missed!

dear thursday, I got in five miles today.  Yay!  I have run now for about six days in a row!  
I have been a slacker with my PT but I am glad I have been feeling okay after running.  Yippee!  I had a birthday lunch with Jen today.  This is #7. I have decided it's lots of fun going with everyone separately because then I get to go much more!  Haha  I have only bought my own lunch once in the seven times. My friends are truly the best.  Jen and I had a great chat. I love talking to her and I am so happy we have made the time to do that again.  She gave me a great book that I can't wait to read!  It's by our amazing Prophet called Accomplishing the  Impossible. 
The strangest thing happened while we were eating.  A women walked past the window (we were at Old Grist) and she looked exactly like Mona (only Mona was more attractive) but she had oxygen (the exact way Mona did) and walked hunched over like she did and walked slow and holy cow her body and shape were the same!  It was crazy!  I wonder if that was a sign of her letting me know she is close by.  Or maybe letting me know I need to chill about a few things I'm upset about....like no obituary in the Ogden or Brigham paper and having the funeral so far away so most of her friends can't attend.  Not sure what, but it was almost creepy.   I wish I had gotten a photo of it because it was uncanny!
A cute friend of mine left this awesome on my porch.  I love finding surprises on my porch!
I worked on my talk for Mona's funeral a bit. I don't have a lot of time but I feel like there are few things I need to say. I am not stressed about it at all mainly because I won't know hardly anyone there and also because I think it will be a small funeral since it's clear in Idaho and Mona is easy to talk about.  I went to Julie's to see her new grandson Dax. He is a cutie and a clone of the girls.  Then I met her at Drewe's to get a flower for Mona.  They wanted money in lieu of flowers for funeral costs, but Julie and I felt like Mona would like flowers. We ended up getting a plant with a huge purple bow.  After we ate, Dave and I headed to the viewing.  It was small, but nice.  She had the most gorgeous flowers on her coffin.  All purple.  SO pretty!  She would be very happy with those.  We talked to Bonnie and Brad and then I met her sister Mary.  We talked to Ethan who is all grown up now.  He is pretty cute.  I was happy to see Bill and Leland all dressed up and looking nice.  They had put together a nice video of her and it was sweet. When I went up to view her, I cried.  I am going to miss her a lot.





dear mona's funeral, I got out on a five mile run and home in time to go over my talk once.  I saw this as I was heading out:
Ahhh...
My mom was supposed to be at my house by 9:30 a.m. to go with me to Mona's funeral in American Falls, Idaho, but she never came and never came.  I worried she forgot, got lost, or was in an accident.  Finally at 9:50 after calling her cell and home phone several times, I called my Dad.  He was in a golf tournament at the time, but was worried and said he would go home and check on her.  I told him to let me drive part of the route she would take and see if I could find her first.  As soon as I drove down Highland, I saw her turn. I followed her back home and she told me she got stuck behind a huge overload truck that slowed her down.  Hmmm....  Not sure why she didn't call me.  She insisted we take her car and that I drive it and I didn't protest too much because that care is one nice ride.  However, the drive was very long and not scenic at all, unless you like hay and sagebrush.  I did panic and got off the wrong Tremonton exit and had to regroup.  I think I was frazzled that we were going to be late since she arrived at my house late and I was the first speaker.  On the way, Shauna called me with some info on the cruise.  I'm finally started to get excited.  She sent me this:

We did arrive on time, but barely.  The family was about to have the family prayer when we arrived.  
We went in the chapel and waited for them.  There were about 50 or so people there. More than I expected.  If it had been in Brigham, there would have been a full house or at least twice as many people.  I wasn't stressed at all about my talk because I was just reading her life sketch and then adding some stories of her.  Doyle didn't want anything long.  Mine was about 8 minutes.  The family seemed to enjoy it and Kaye (her dil), told me it was perfect and exactly what they wanted. She said she told Doyle that he had to ask me to speak because Mona would have wanted that. I told them that I was very honored to do it.  Her grandson told me he really appreciated the things I said.  Her sister, her brother, and a few other relatives also told me they enjoyed it very much. That's all nice and everything ,but truly the only one I cared about liking it was Mona. I hope it is what she would have wanted me to say.  She was a great lady and I so admired her.  Her grandson spoke and then her brother.  He took the majority of the time.  He also sang.
We then went to the cemetery and we were invited to the luncheon but my mom did not want to go and I was fine not going.  
The last time on this earth I will be able to take a photo with Mona in it.  So sad....
I am SO grateful for this amazing lady for traveling all that way down and back with me.  She is truly thee most unselfish human I have ever known.  I am so blessed to call her mom.
Mona's family

We headed home and stopped at Jimmy Johns for a turkey avocado sub.  Mmm.... Those are my favorite!  There is no shortage of laughter and fun when I am with my Mom.  We do manage to have a good time.  I am so blessed to still have her here and I do not take that for granted.  It took us two hours driving time each way and my body was hurting BAD by the time we got home. Not so much my back, but my piraformas and hamstring. Ouch!  I needed to stretch in the worst way.  But it was worth it and I was honored to be able to do it.  Here is the script of the talk and life sketch. I am adding it because I always want to remember these things.  I strayed a bit from it, but this is pretty close to what I said.
Mona's Funeral Talk

I am grateful and honored to be able to here today to share Mona's life sketch and few brief words of some of the memories I was able to make with this kind sweet lady, whom I loved dearly.

Mona Russell 

Mona H. H. Russell was born in Twin Falls Idaho to Frances May (Valline) Herrick and William Lester Herrick. Mona was raised by Frances and Fred John Wagner after her father‘s death in 1940. Mona was the eldest of five children, two sisters - Mary & Esther, two brothers - Fred and Stephen. She graduated from Twin Falls High School and then moved to Rockland Idaho shortly after. Mona married Kenneth Doyle Russell on February 11, 1956 in Rockland Idaho. They were later sealed in the Logan temple. Mona had four children, Doyle, Leland, Valline and Billy. She has four grandchildren, Elsha & Kristopher Russell, Skylee Spiers, Ethan Bareng. Two great grandchildren, Kohen & Tatum Russell. 

Mona worked for several years as a seamstress in Brigham City Utah. She later was employed at Thiokol where she worked in materials for 17 years. She enjoyed her Jobs and the friendships that were made. Mona had many service and achievement awards throughout her career. 
Mona’s hobbies were her family and friends, she loved everyone and loved to chitchat. She sewed and crocheted hundreds of clothes, blankets and quilts, which she was very talented at. Mona could can anything from beets to peaches. Her favorite was making a truckload of sauerkraut. She loved to travel across the county in a Pontiac Station Wagon back in the day. She was a farm girl at heart and loved the time she spent with her family at the ranch and up East Fork in Rockland. She really loved her little dogs, Pom-Pom and Skippy.
Mona loved the Lord and Savior. She was very active in her callings with the young women of her ward.
Mona had a very big heart and would do anything she could for everyone she knew. She was the person that was always there to help. She was a beautiful person inside and out.


I met Mona when I was assigned to be her visiting teacher.  I was assigned to serve her, but in the end, she was the one that enlightened and enhanced my life and became a dear friend.   I have to say the first couple of visits I was a bit nervous because she was tending  Doyle's HUGE dogs at the time. I am a dog lover, but they were a bit intimidating. Mona had her way of just getting them to obey and out of our way.   It only took me one visit with her to fall in love with this lady.  She was a very humble person yet so spunky and a wee bit sassy.  I loved that about her.  Mona did not mince words.  The one thing I think I loved most about her was the fact that she was real and you knew where you stood with her.  Mona was a genuine and down to earth unassuming soul.  That is a rarity in today's society.  She was honest... to the point of being blunt at times but it was so nice to have someone be direct and tell you just  how it was.   You didn't have to peel away a facade and it was so refreshing to meet someone like that.  Over the years our friendship grew and grew and she became very dear to me.  I called her my other mother because she was just so good to me and so kind.  Mona was a very talented and gifted seamstress and made gorgeous crocheted blankets and other items.  My friend Bonnie and I always told her how talented she was and she was so surprised to hear that.  She was the most humble person and really didn't think she was as talented as she was.  One day she told us that she had started to believe that we were right and so she went to town crocheting blankets and sewing up a storm of baby blankets to give to the new mothers in our ward.   She made the most intricate patterns that gave me a headache when I looked at the instructions. 
She was a strong lady and it was a blessing to watch her become active in the gospel and then work so hard to get to the temple.  It was the sweetest thing to go and watch her act as proxy for her relatives to receive their temple blessings.  I am not sure I have ever seen her so happy.  Mona loved children and animals.  Even though she pretended she didn't love her cats (that she also took in to care for when others couldn't), she took very good care of them and truly did love them.  Mona would give you the shirt off her back and I watched her take in strangers so they had a place to live even though that had to be hard on her, but she willingly helped those in most need.  She was a very generous person even though she didn't have much to give. But she always first and foremost gave of her heart that was always overflowing with love. Mona was a people person and when she first moved into the senior living place, every time I went to visit, she introduced me to many new friends.  When she was in rehab, everyone fell in love with her.  When I would visit, the physical therapists always told me how much they loved and adored her. She was a fun person to be around and every time I hung out with her, we had some good laughs.  One time when we coming back from grocery shopping, between the two of us, we had a struggle trying to get it all up to her apartment, she had some in her jazzy's basket and I was carrying the rest and dropping things right and left.  She said one of her funny sarcastic remarks which I can't remember what now, and we both just stopped and burst out laughing right in the hall as others were getting off the elevator and watching us.  One said to us that they wanted to know what we were drinking because they wanted some.   Oh my goodness, she was so funny and fun to be with. Her sense of humor would sometimes stop you in your tracks and she was always good for a laugh.  One of my favorite memories of her was when a few of us took her to lunch for her birthday at a Mexican place in Brigham City.  The tradition there is you wear a huge sombrero if it is your birthday.  I will never forget the look on her face when we insisted she let them put it on her and the looks (and a few words) we got from her.  But as always, she was a good sport and even let us take pictures.
Mona loved her Pepsi and on our shopping trips that was priority.  She also loved Dove dark chocolate.  Sadly, I have a bag sitting at home that was meant for her on my next visit.  Mona, I really hope there is chocolate in heaven for you and for me, if not, I may have to rethink joining you there.
President Joseph F. Smith, in general conference in 1916, said the following:
“Sometimes the Lord expands our vision from this point of view and this side of the veil, so that we feel and seem to realize that we can look beyond the thin veil which separates us from that other sphere. If we can see, by the enlightening influence of the Spirit of God and through the words that have been spoken by the holy prophets of God, beyond the veil that separates us from the spirit world, surely those who have passed beyond, can see more clearly through the veil back here to us than it is possible for us to see to them from our sphere of action. I believe we move and have our being in the presence of heavenly messengers and of heavenly beings. We are not separate from them.
“We begin to realize, more and more fully, as we become acquainted with the principles of the gospel, as they have been revealed anew in this dispensation, that we are closely related to our kindred, to our ancestors, to our friends and associates and co-laborers who have preceded us into the spirit world. We cannot forget them; we do not cease to love them; we always hold them in our hearts, in memory. . . .
“How much more certain it is and reasonable and consistent to believe that those who have been faithful, who have gone beyond and are still engaged in the work for the salvation of the souls of men, . . . can see us better than we can see them; that they know us better than we know them. They have advanced; we are advancing; we are growing as they have grown; we are reaching the goal that they have attained unto; and therefore, I claim that we live in their presence, they see us, they are solicitous for our welfare, they love us now more than ever. For now they see the dangers that beset us; they can comprehend, better than ever before, the weaknesses that are liable to mislead us into dark and forbidden paths. They see the temptations and the evils that beset us in life and the proneness of mortal beings to yield to temptation and to wrongdoing; hence their solicitude for us, and their love for us, and their desire for our well being, must be greater than that which we feel for ourselves.” 
President George Albert Smith likewise emphasized that “those who are on the other side [of the veil] are . . . anxious about us. They are praying for us and for our success. They are pleading, in their own way, for their descendants, for their posterity who live upon the earth."

To her family I know she would want me to say that she is still near and will be watching over each of you and helping you.  She loved you all so very much and was so proud of you. She is not far away and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you will feel her presence often. 
Mona was a very special lady who brought a lot of joy and laughter to all that crossed her path. She was spunky, kind, generous, humble, courageous, and very dedicated to those she loved and cared about. For those of us she leaves behind, what a legacy she leaves for her life has been woven so deeply in the interconnected threads of each of our lives. What a blessing she has been to me and my family I am so happy she is now able to reunite with so many of her loved ones and be free of her earthly cares. She will be missed dearly! 
We love you Mona! 


dear friday, when I got home from the funeral, I didn't have much time before we headed out to dinner with Troy and Carol for my birthday.  I can't believe how many people have taken me out to lunch or dinner for my birthday this year and I still have two (at least) maybe three left.  I am pretty sure it's a record.  I have a breakfast and a lunch next week and possibly one more lunch.  But, I celebrate all month so it's great. I LOVE IT!  It is nice to feel loved on your birthday.   Carson face timed me several times.  He is a hoot! 
We picked up Troy and Carol and went to Hug Hes in North Ogden for dinner.  It was yummy. I got a free sugar cookie for my birthday. Yum!  These two are some the most amazing people and friends on the planet.  We are very blessed to have them as friends.
We went back to their house and watched a movie in their amazing theater!  We watched Patriot Games on vidangel.  It's an old one but it was good. They told me I can use their indoor spa pool anytime for my back. I might take them up on that! 

dear saturday, I am so excited that I ran 10.5 miles today!  Yippee!  I wasn't fast, but I didn't die either!  That gives me hope!  
 A beautiful scene on my run.
The high school bleachers are in!  It looks like a real high school now! haha
 I was okay the rest of the day. I think I was more sore from the funeral drive yesterday than the run. Carson face-timed me several times while running. He is so funny.  I showered and then gave Dave a ride to Honeyville to pick up Bryce's truck.  I then headed to a few stores and to do a DI drop.  Sky face-timed and they were at my house. I hurried home!  Sarah was working, so those two came over.  Carson made potions while I cleaned the kitchen and fridge.  Dave took him with him to run some errands and I worked on my lesson.  We played with his Critter Clinic for a while and then was going to go to dinner but that didn't end up working due to a "dispute" between Dave and I.  Hmm...  Sky was so great and coached me through.  haha  He has so much wisdom it amazes me.  I took Carson with me to Katie Shepherd's to pick up a dessert she saved for me called Smore cake.  Mmm....
Carson and I grabbed some pizza for everyone.  Well, those who are around since Bryce is in Star Valley with a girl at her Dad's cabin and Taylor went camping with CJ and McKay is in Yellowstone.  

dear sunday, I got up and worked on this blog and was determined to get two weeks posted today. I got one and then Carson woke up but I was so glad I got one. At one point I have been seven weeks behind!  I held him on my lap while I worked on my lesson a bit.  He helped me make playdough for the lesson and cut out a bunch of things.  
It was a busy morning.  Dave had to speak today in sacrament.  The topic was judging.  The Bishop and another member also spoke and they were very good talks.  As you can see, Carson wasn't as impressed.  Haha
My lesson went well.  Dave came in and helped me because Cheryl was gone.  The first thing I did was make mistakes (the lesson was on saying I'm sorry) and then I would say I was sorry. I had my chair turned the wrong way, threw a few papers on the floor, tripped, etc.  They were all laughing so hard.  It was so hilarious.  Carson was dying laughing.  Kids are so easy to please and entertain. I enjoyed it so much I wanted to keep doing it because they were so enjoying it as much as I was.  Hehe  Sam was a perfect angel today. I have never seen her so well behaved.  Julie's plan has worked wonders.  

When I got home Dave had dinner in full swing.  We had stuffed green peppers.  I love those things.  Mmm.....  I was so tired today.  I had planned on taking Linda's bday gift over, but she was at Tanae's.  Carson and I watched Cinderella.  The new one. It was good.  Busy day.

dear random
Mr. Cat just chillin'

 I love this yard!  Cody, the guy who sells amazing flowers posted it!  I would love a yard like that!
 Gorgeous red sunsets due to all the fires!

Some of my birthday shenanigans!!!

My Boston Magazine came!! Not sure if I already posted this or not.  But, just in case I am adding it. 

Image may contain: 4 people, people standing, grass, outdoor and nature
THIS popped up on my memories!  Good laughs!

4 comments:

Nancy Mc said...

I am so sorry to read about the passing of your dear friend Mona. I could tell how much she meant to you because of the number of times I have read about her on your blog.
It sounds like you had a lot of wonderful birthday celebrating.

Unknown said...

Hi Jodi! I found your blog today, while looking for recipes of Utah Noodle delicuousness. You mentioned nirvana had been achieved for chow mein, shrimp, and sweet&sour pork. Would you be willing to private share?
You may reach me at: jolene.goff@gmail.com
Thanks so much. I really enjoyed reading your delightful blog! Jolene

Audrey said...

Loved all of your comments about Mona. You truly had a special bond. I'm glad that you were able to speak at her funeral.

Dawn Ropelato said...

busy busy....when you said you saw someone that reminded you of Mona it made me remember that same kind of thing has happened to me at times too. I have turned my head a few times for a second look which is kind of funny since I know the person I think I am seeing has passed. I love celebrating birthdays and it's really fun when it's our own. :) Love YOU

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails