Monday, October 15, 2018

*Monday Memos*

*MONDAY MEMOS*

   
 (If pictures are too small, just click to enlarge) 
Weekly recap of my rather crazy, insane, but fun and rewarding life!


dear monday, I had a broken harp string when I got up this morning.  Dang.  It's such a pain to practice when missing one.  And this one is about $22 string!
Dave made German pancakes this morning because we didn't make them yesterday.  Tasty!
I headed out on a run. It's getting much colder already.  Carson face-timed me while out.
I started my Book of Mormon reading challenge today.  I am going to do it by listening this time.  I think it's the only way it will happen.  I listen to it while I do my makeup and hair and today I also did while I worked in the kitchen. I got in 13 chapters. I will do the marking of Christ references after I finish this.  
Image result for book of mormon challenge
The social media challenge was a little difficult, but only to remember to not check it. I don't feel any conflict not being able to and I don't feel any FOMO and so that is good.  It's easier than I thought it would be.  Much.  I headed to Seagull Book to find Bonzo a bday gift. I ended up finding her one at Smiths.  It's an "Oh My Goth" jar because she is always saying OMG.  Perfect.  Dave is on call this week and so he got home pretty late. 

dear tuesday, it was so cold this morning!  I think winter is trying to push fall around and kick it out before it really gets a chance to hang around. I made spider peanut butter cookies for my party today.  They turned out cute.  
I did hill repeats this morning and I actually ran them. It felt so good to run.  I had to hurry back and get to my party. It was at Dawn's house in Hooper which is a good 40 minutes away. 
We decided to wear hats instead of costumes. Only Dawn and I did, Carla wore a full costume (giraffe) and Lori and Robin didn't do either so Dawn found them hats.  She is great. 

We watched Haunted Mansion and it was really quite a good movie. I liked it.  We chatted awhile and then Dawn was so sweet and gave me her purple potion bottle I had been trying to steal (totally joking) but she gifted it to me. I'm holding it in first photo above.  She also gave me her adorable purple witch!  She's holding it in the second photo. I couldn't believe it, but she said she is really downsizing and has a hard time carrying in the totes and so is getting rid of all her Halloween stuff.  I was the happy recipient of two of her items. I was so excited!  I love all my purple Halloween decors and would not so easily depart from them.  I think Carla has been an influence on her. Carla is a huge minimalist.  But with all Dawn's kids and grand-kids, I thought she would want them for them to see, so I was surprised she gave them to me.  You know me, THE QUEEN of HALLOWEEN! I have a hard time giving away my cute stuff!  I ran a couple errands.  Then came home and practiced the harp for quite a while.  Missing that string was very frustrating. 
It was freezing today!  I had hot cocoa and snuggled in my heated blanket with Mr. Cat. I tried to go to bed early since 4 a.m. comes soon.

dear wednesday, I got up before 4 am for my temple shift. It was pouring rain!  When I pulled in the parking garage there was a van with snow on it!  Whaaaat?  I'm not ready!  
We weren't quite as busy as the past two weeks.  The time goes by pretty fast. After, I headed to my harp lesson.  I felt bad because on my way, Sky text me asking me if I was going to be home at 10 because Sarah had a dentist appt and they were coming up. Dang!  Bad timing!  Oh well.  Carson face timed me later.  He is so sweet.  

My lesson went well.  We chatted quite a while about theory things and there is so much to learn in music theory, it blows me away.  It's so mathematical.  So interesting. I ran to Summerhay's in Layton and got my harp string that broke. It was only a "mere" $22 string!  Sheesh. I should stock up on them but it would be a good $300 to have them all I think. I ran some errands and hit Costco.  Dave text me and told me Taylor and Bryce were home.  I was going to go see my Mom, but decided to head home and spend some time with the boys.  Bryce was here because he got rained out.  Carson had left me several pictures he had brought for me.  Love that kid! 
I visited with the boys and I made pumpkin cake rolls (no pix), one for Dave's parents tomorrow, and I sent one with Taylor for him and his roommates. They turned out good.  We had fun chatting, then Dave came home and he was so nice to help me clean up the huge mess I made.  I generally am a very tidy baker, but for some reason tonight I made quite the mess.  I loaded Taylor with food and then he headed back to Logan.  Dave and I went to deliver a few more phantoms (to get the ball rolling again because it's not spreading too fast) but he decided he didn't have time and so I had to do it myself.  I'm in 2nd Nephi chapter 8 so far. Still haven't missed the social media.  

dear thursday, today I got out early on my run/walk because I had to be to the dentist early. 
It was sad no longer having Robin there at the dentist because she quit.  A lady in our stake (Lynette) was a sub hygienist and she told me about her life and I was quite taken by how much she has been through. Quite an amazing lady.  I then met Robin at Costa Vida for lunch.  We were there for a couple of hours and got caught up on her quitting her job, the marathon, and many other things.  We hit Seagull Book after and then I had to get home and get Dave's parent's dinner going.  I was going to make stew but ended up doing beef stroganoff because I didn't have time to cook the stew. I also made a butterfly bread and some broccoli as well.  I also took them one of the pumpkin cake rolls.  I stayed and chatted with them for a few and then headed to the church for Stake Vball.  Ayako was gone again this week.  But, it has turned out well. Melanie was there to help me tonight.  It was fun. Some of those girls are a blast. I have always loved the youth. I was there for a little more than three hours but thankfully Ayako came to help take down the net etc.  It was chilly tonight.  Dave and I watched a part of a movie before hitting the sack.  
Mr. Cat chillin'

dear friday, I got up early and started practicing the harp. I went through some music and found a book I had purchased awhile ago with the a gorgeous medley in it of I Know My Redeemer Lives/I Feel My Savior's Love/I Believe In Christ.  Oh my!  It is so gorgeous and has glissando's and is just absolutely beautiful.  I feel impressed I need to learn it and learn it well. I am not sure if I need it for a funeral in the future or what, but I do feel impressed to practice hard on it and pray for help that it will come easy to me. It's a difficult piece, but I think I can do it.  I am actually loving it.  I love glissando's and I have been listening to Clare Bender's CD quite often and it is inspiring me to practice harder so I can make up for all the lost time. I keep feeling bad I didn't start learning harp 10 years ago because I would be so much more advanced now. I am not being very patient with wanting to be a good harpist already. If I had to live my life again, that is one thing I would definitely change!  I would have started the harp when I was much younger.  MUCH younger.   

SofSavCover.jpg
It wasn't quite as cold as yesterday thankfully.  But, I still dressed pretty warm on my run. I headed west for a change.  I came home and noticed that I haven't even missed social media. This is quite a surprise for me.  That in and of itself is interesting because President Nelson promised it might surprise us when we do this fast.  I'm not sure he meant that it is easier than we think, but maybe. I thought I would really struggle, but it hasn't been hard at all.  Much easier than fasting from food!  hah  Dave brought lunch home from Maddox (from the clinic) and I was starving! I read an article that said people eat more in the Fall than any other season. Something to do with our instincts from when we had to eat more to store up for the winter so we wouldn't starve. Hmm.... Not sure I believe that, but whatever the reason, I do feel much hungrier when the weather turns chilly.  I also read that Granny Smith apples are a great weight loss tool because the good bacteria in them contain non-digestible compounds that promote the growth of good bacteria in your gut associated with weight loss.  How convenient they are in abundance in the fall.  LOL Here's a link to the story.
Had to try this on at Smiths' so I could send it to Carson!
I practiced again for quite a while this afternoon on the harp. I have some tough songs right now and it takes so much more time to practice now than before.  We went to Logan to my friend Shelly's (Locke) husband's viewing.  It was packed and the wait was almost two hours, so we ran to eat at Even Steven's.
We then hit Sam's Club and tried out the massage chairs.  I had Dave take me Crumbl to grab some cookies for McKster and his roommates.
We went back to the viewing and only had to wait about 25 minutes, so we made the right choice.

dear saturday, I got in six miles today and it was mostly running.  Yay!  I practiced the harp off and on quite a bit today as I am really trying to master this new song medley (working on I Know That My Redeemer Lives) right now.  It's so pretty!  I ran some errands and then made some treats for the witches ball tonight. I wanted something super easy and quick, but still cute, and so I made these:
I got decked out in my witch gear...

I then picked up Julie for the Witches Ball and we met Lynda there.  There were about 50 witches this year.  
As soon as I arrived, Dave text me and said Carson was at my house.  Dang.  I felt bad I wasn't home.  I told him to bring him over so he could see all the witches. Sky brought him.  
I ran out and got him and Sarah was impressed with my witchy attire.  Carson not so much.  Just another day at the office for him.  LOL  
At least a few others were though because I ended up winning one of BEST COSTUME awards.  They choose five witches (out of 50 or so) as the winners.  I was surprised especially since I wore the same thing the last time I went a couple years ago. Haha  But, I was happy!  Julie also was one of the five!  Pretty cool.  They only allowed one to pick a prize though (spin of the dice), but that's okay.  We played a bunch of games.  Music Trivia, Bingo, musical chairs.  
I
Musical chairs was dangerous!  I got knocked right on the floor one time.  I was one of the last three (out of 10) but lost in that round.  
That is Nadine below with the big green nose and chin.  Impressive!  My gloves and handbag matched exactly! I had no idea!  I bought one this year and one a few years ago.  Fun.


It was fun but went a bit too long.  We got some pix after. 

I came home and chatted with Sarah and played with Carson.  It got late fast and I was ready for bed.  I have missed that little guy. I haven't seen him for a long time.

 He had a whole slew of "presents" for me he had made.  Sarah gave me the cutest spoon that said, |YOU GOT THIS....my mantra!  Love it!  Dave and Carson made the purple cat together.
LOL
As I was laying in bed, I saw this on Snapchat that Sarah posted.

dear sunday, today Carson came in my room at 7:30 am. I was awake and so that was okay.  Mr. Cat had woken me up an hour before and Dave two hours before that. He wanted to see my photo albums and so we looked at lots of photos of Tyson and Sky and then found more of all of the boys.  I loved looking at them.  I wish I had been better at scrap-booking all my photos. Sigh.  That is one of my biggest regrets in life.  Carson helped me make stew.  He also made some potions.  
Dave grew this crazy guy!  Or is it a girl?  Hmmm.....
Bryce and Hailey stopped by. She didn't have her kids.  I made some bread while they were here and then headed to church with Carson. Sky and Sarah also came.   McKay was also here today.  No Taylor though.  Primary was a bit crazy.  After church we went to Brother Packer's house so he could show us something.  It was his son Landon's sculpture of Moroni burying the plates.  Pretty cool and amazingly talented.  That family never ceases to amaze me at their unending talent!
Carson was a bit more interested in this... ;)
Brother Packer then showed Carson some magic tricks.  Carson was totally entranced.  It was so cute and then he showed Carson the shop and his projects. Carson said, "He is a funny guy."  He is very funny and so talented and so generous to always show us what is going on.  He is definitely one of our best, if not thee best, home teacher we have ever had.  He really does a good job and we have been blessed to have him. 
 Wow!  The magician revealing his secrets!
 Making the thumb disappear and making a eucalyptus tree
Bro. Packer's amazing shop and projects
He has a ton of grandkids but took the time to make a little boy's day!  He is the best. 

We came home and got dinner on the table. We had a large group here.  Everyone but Taylor.  I tried to get my parents to come over but they didn't answer their phone. 
Game Day Stew (recipes at end of post below)
Butterfly Bread
Apple Crisp
Hailey and Bryce left for a bit and then came back with her kids.  Brinlee is absolutely adorable and Liam is so stinkin' cute.  Solid, but cute!   
Carson was so excited to play with her.  He is so cute with her.  He had to show her his new magic tricks!
I made an apple crisp before they got back and we all had some. It was yummy!  I ate way too much!  Brinlee cried when they had to leave. So sweet.  I gave her the witches hats and brooms I made for her.  
This guy loves food and to eat!  What a cute thing!
She was too tired to smile in the first picture.  Then Bryce got her to beam!  She is adorable.  Her voice is the sweetest! Very high pitched and always excited.
Liam didn't have a costume yet and Hailey said she was thinking about him being a scarecrow.  I told her I had a costume that would fit him perfectly!  The crazy thing instead of it being in my huge costume chest, it was in the hall closet for some odd reason.  Meant to be!  
Everyone ended up leaving around the same time. Dave was gone all night to a meeting.  I stayed up and cleaned the kitchen and then worked on this for a few.  My back was pretty miserable. 

dear random, this was in one of the photo albums we were looking at. I can tell no one was ready for the photo. LOL   

Since I saw these, I have been seriously thinking about cutting my hair shorter.  Only, the flip is no longer in style, but I think I look younger with shorter hair. Well, um, I guess I WAS much younger here.  LOL

This poor buck only has one antler.  His other one is across his face (not hardened).  So sad. He hangs out in our yard all the time.
I have my lighthouse all decked out for Halloween!  

dear boys, stole most of these from the boy's Snapchats (the ones of Carson from Sarah's).

Love these!



These two make me smile!

Such a handsome guy!
These two!
LOL
Haha - NOT!
Bryce's truck
McKay working his life away!

dear quotes, 


dear recipes, this is Dave's mom stew recipe that is a family fave.  It is called Game Day Stew because it is LaVell Edward's wife's recipe that she would make on BYU football game days.  It is super easy and really tasty!

GAME DAY STEW

Ingredients:

  • 1 pound stew meat
  • 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
  • 4 sliced carrots
  • 4 cubed potatoes
  • 1 Package Lipton Onion Soup Mix

Method:

Brown stew meat. Add two cans cream of mushroom soup with one can of water.
Put in a crock pot or L'cuisine cast iron pot
Put in over at 250 degrees for 4-6 hours.
 This is really a YUMMY recipe for Apple Crisp!

My BUTTERFLY BREAD recipe is VERY easy!

2 loaves of Rhodes frozen bread dough
1/4 to 1/2 cup of melted butter

Thaw the dough until it's able to be cut but not really raised.  Cut it in 1/4 - 1/2 " slices.  Dip in melted butter and place in Bundt pan.  Line the slices standing up. Let raise.  Bake at 350° for 15 minutes.  DELISH!


2 comments:

Nancy Mc said...

The German pancake looks delicious. How do you get Dave to do so much cooking? Your Witch Costume is darling! (You witches go ALL out!)The Halloween treats look adorable.
Carson is such a cute, thoughtful child.

Dawn Ropelato said...

look at your cute babies you get to enjoy. You're a grandma! I wouldn't really say that Carla is rubbing off on me...my back just can't handle all the lifting required to decorate any more. It's hard to let things go that I have loved...super hard! If my back was stronger I'd have kept it all. Oh well.... ☺ I love your recipes so thanks for sharing. You always accomplish so much...way to go! You inspire me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails