Saturday, December 28, 2013

Pickleball Tourney

Dave has become quite the amazing Pickleball player. He has only been playing for a couple of months and already is better than most people that have been playing for years. He has always been very gifted athletically and has always excelled at any sport he tries  (with the exception of ice skating -haha).  But anything else he really is a natural and very talented.  He is also one of the best ping pong players I have ever seen and so I think that is why Pickleball came so easy for him.  A lot of the strategy is the same. 

 His brother Scott's wife Carolyn is also quite good at it.  She has been playing for a few years and so when I heard about a tournament that was being held in a nearby city, I signed him up for it and she signed up as his double's partner.  He was excited (I think) at least until he injured his shoulder (yes from playing Pickleball).  He took off a good month to six weeks to let it heal some, but was still not back to normal when the tourney came around.  I was afraid he was going to bag it, but he went ahead and competed anyway.  For a first tournament, he did really well.  He was teamed up with someone that was on a lower skill level than him but played at his level and so that didn't help him in the men's doubles.  But on the mixed doubles, he and Carolyn did great!  I think they ended up in fourth place when all was said and done in their division.  I could tell his shoulder was really starting to hurt when he started to play left handed.  It's a tough and very competitive game, and they really did well.  They could have gone all the way and won their division, but they ended up losing their last game by a couple points.  I was very proud of them both!    
Carolyn won the GOLD MEDAL in the women's doubles in her division!  I was so proud of her!  She was very happy!  

It was a VERY long day!  Dave arrived at 7 a.m. and didn't finish until almost 10 p.m. I had a lot of fun watching but even I was ready to go home and I had only been there half the time.  

I am excited to see how far he can go with it.  I just hope his shoulder will heal so he can play at the level he is capable of and it won't hold him back.  Dang injuries!  

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails