Monday, April 10, 2017

*Monday Memos*


 (If pictures are too small, just click to enlarge) 
Weekly recap of my rather crazy, insane, but fun and rewarding life!

dear monday, this week's Monday was what most people typically think of as a Monday.  
It started off with freezing weather!  I also didn't feel great and I just wanted to go back to bed!  So I did!  Well, for about 30 minutes. Then, I got a text from a friend asking if McKay was nearby where the explosions went off in Russia.  I hadn't heard anything about that and so I got online and researched and thankfully it wasn't anywhere near him.  It happened in St. Petersburg.  A bomb went off in the subway killing 10 and injuring at least 50.  They detonated a second bomb before it went off.   Then, I saw on the news that manhole covers were exploding in Boston.  They were exploding in fiery flames!  They weren't sure why, but later said there was an electrical fire underneath the roads.  Great.  They better get those fixed before two weeks from today!  YES TWO WEEKS from today I will be running the Boston Marathon. Hopefully, without manhole covers exploding in our path!  
We thought Sky was going to arrive home early this morning as well, but no Sky.  I guess we had communication wrong because he arrives late tonight.   The worst part of this Monday had to be the fact that the hotel I booked is telling me they are charging me full price because I cancelled it and it's a non-refundable cancellation fee!  I booked it as a FREE cancellation because I booked two others the same because I wanted to wait until I was in Boston to decide which hotel to actually stay at after I saw how close it was to where I will have to board the marathon bus.  It's a mess.  The place I booked it ( use them!) is saying it wasn't a free cancellation.  I can go to the website right now and prove it is. But they are saying my email says (which it does) that it was non cancellation without a fee.  Okay, then charge me a fee, NOT the entire cost of the three nights!  It is $680 they are charging my card!  I didn't even look at the email because I KNOW I ONLY booked FREE cancellations since I was going to for sure cancel two of them! Why would I book a place if I also booked two others unless ALL were free cancellations?  It's a nightmare.  But neither is really budging (the hotel or - both are blaming the other.  I AM SICK!  That is a lot of money!  The guy at the hotel I spoke with is really nice but he says his hands are tied.  I am pretty feisty when it comes to injustices like this, but I was feeling pretty defeated and actually started to cry while talking to them on the phone. That. Is. A. First!  The entire planning of this trip has taken me down!  And now this!  I guess we will try the route of disputing it with our credit card and see if we get anywhere.  I have spent hours trying to correct this, but to no avail. 
I didn't get out on my run until much later.  It was around noon.  But at least it was warmer.  There was still snow on the ground though.  I went up where I do my hill repeats and did my PT exercises while there because I had a lot of room.

I made Swiss steak in the crock pot. I have been craving it.  It was okay. Not great. I think I need a new recipe for it.  Anyone?

dear tuesday, I got up early and headed to the temple to clean the grounds.  I have never done that before but when the sign up sheet came around, no one had signed up and so I did.  
We worked from 8 am until noon.  It was really cold this morning (29°!) and so I dressed warm. I wondered if they ever cancel it due to the weather, but everyone showed up and they put us to work.  
It did warm up quite a bit when the sun came out and so that was good.  I am not a fan of working in dirt because I always fear I will run across a snake or huge spider or something, but I LOVED working on the temple grounds.  It is already so clean and nice that I wasn't too worried.  We mainly raked out old leaves around the shrubs and that took about three hours.  Then we pulled weeds. I did the entire south side and front and I was certain I found every single little tiny weed but after we all grouped together, the grounds keeper came out and showed us some that we thought were flowers and so we ended up getting a ton more.  I liked this much more than cleaning the inside.  It was really a lot of fun.  
With our buckets full of weeds!
Sky was here when I got home from the temple.  He said his trip did not go as expected and really was not fun.  He is no longer a huge fan of Puerto Rico.
I made a s
our cream noodle bake and just as I was putting it in the over Taylor showed up.  It was nice to have everyone here.  
This is a keeper. It's a bit like lasagna but a much easier version.
I went to Taylor's game, but didn't see much because I was late.  He came home for a bit after.

dear wednesday, I headed to the high school track to get in some miles and my Physical Therapy.  It was pretty nice today.  I rushed home and headed to my hair appointment.  She took longer than usual, but I love the highlights.  
Eeeeeeek!!!!  First time I have used a REAL dryer in ages!  I look like an astronaut or alien with the foil hair and big helmet
Only in the country.  Traffic comes to a stop so some ducks can cross the road!

I spent more time on the phone to the hotel AGAIN (every single day for the past week) and it's not looking good.  But, on a good note, I got these cute running earrings in the mail.  
Sarah sent them as a good luck for Boston!  Aren't they the cutest? I never wear earrings when I run but I always wish I had some cute ones so I could and these are the perfect size!  She had the little heart in the middle specially colored purple just for me!  LOVE THEM!  She is so sweet!  I have a package almost ready to go for Carson. He is obsessed with Panda Bears at the moment and so I am sending a few (ahem!) pandas.  Give me a theme, and I go crazy.  But he will love it.

I also went to Cover Up and ordered a shirt for Boston. I saw this online and tired to order it but they are no longer available:

I loved the quote and so Cover Up is going to order me a purple and black shirt and I am going to have the saying printed on it.  The plan is to wear it during the marathon but the weather will determine that. But even if I don't race in it, I can wear it anytime.

dear thursday, I had my Physical Therapy appointment early. It will be my last one before Boston!  We did the usual. He also watched me on the treadmill and video-taped me.  That was a bit painful to watch even though he said my form is really good on all levels, but watching in slow motion is just painful!  lol  Watching the flab bounce around in slow motion....eeek! 

I came home and showered again (PT was a workout!) and then headed to SLC to one of my favorite running stores blowout sales at the Salt Palace.  They are really expensive and I refuse to buy their stuff unless it's on clearance.  I was excited to see what they had.   Holy cow, I walked and walked and walked! I felt like singing the Primary song about the pioneers!  From where I parked (completely worst place for the location of the sale), it took me a good 30-40 minutes to get there.  That place is huge and I had no idea where the annex was.  I shopped for about 30 minutes and bought some cute running skirts, but that was it. I was a bit disappointed.  And the fitting room was a big curtained community area with about 10 chairs and mirrors.  The sign going in read "Be Brave!".  And most of the women in there were!  They were trying on swimsuits and stripped right down. I felt like I was in a locker room.   
This was by the Salt Palace. Interesting...

I then stopped at Lyon and Healy to get me new harp strings because I have one that looks like it is about to go.  Actually two.  Interesting store.
I hit Wasatch Running store to get my fuel for the Boston Marathon.  The clerk told me I was going to love it but the hills are brutal.  I have been stressing about the course all week. I am not sure I am ready. It's going to be the hardest marathon course I have run I am sure.  I also hit Dick's Bakery and grabbed our usual chocolate donuts and eclairs, and cinnamon bread.  I really can't eat them because I have to eat clean until the race.  But the boys will hopefully like them.  Actually, they don't eat this stuff much either, but Dave will be happy! 

Dave made us hobo dinners!  Yum!

dear friday, I had my last "long" run today.  IF you can call 8 miles long.  I broke it up though and so I hope it counts.  The wind was C R A Z Y today!  Look at my ponytail!  I cut off my face because it was so wrinkly!  Ugh!  This aging thing is not fun!

I did my PT on the track in between.  I like doing my PT there because I have the room and privacy I need.  It was spring break and so I thought I would find a lot of coins, but only a few.  I found another plastic one this week!  
The coins in my jar I have found the past....not sure.....but less than a year.
I came home and ate my"bird seed oatmeal".  I am trying to eat clean until the race.  On a scale of 1 to 10.... I am probably around a 7.  But, that's an improvement, so I will take it!

I ran some errands and then got a text from my blogging friend Nancy asking if I would be home later that day.  I figured she was just passing through to go to Honeyville to see her mil, but I got a huge surprise!  She dropped by to bring me some of the cutest cookies I have ever seen to wish me GOOD LUCK in BOSTON!  

Look at these! 
Have you ever seen anything cuter?  Check out the cute tag!  She is a very talented lady.  I have learned from reading her blog that she can do pretty much anything.  She also decorates wedding cakes!  But these cookies are the most amazing cookies ever!  And they tasted SO good!  I was soooo excited!  I was seriously overcome by her thoughtfulness to first, even think about doing this, and second taking the time to do it (those are very time consuming) and third to drive all this way to deliver them!  I am SO glad I was home!
THANK YOU NANCY if you are reading this!  You are truly an amazing friend!  I can't even tell you how excited just seeing these made me or thank you enough!!!!  You blow me away!!!

Dave and I along with Sky went out to dinner at Ricardos.  It's not my favorite place but Dave likes it.  

We also stopped by Carla's (Bev's daughter) to take her a treat because she just had surgery and posted on FB hoping someone would bring her one.  It was a chilly tonight!

dear saturday, it was pouring rain all morning.  
When I saw a window in the clouds, I headed out for my run.  I decided to hill repeats since I didn't get them in yet.  I went to KC and ended up doing 10.  That is probably more than I should be since I'm in marathon taper mode right now.  I also did my PT while up there.  When I got home, Taylor was here.  
He requested Hawaiian Haystacks, so I made them.  We ate an early dinner because of fast Sunday tomorrow.  My parents joined us because they came by to wish me well at Boston.  I wish they were coming to cheer me on, but getting around without a car in a big city would be tough on my fragile mom!  
Bryce headed to a REAL soccer game and watched it in a blizzard!  I can't believe he stayed the entire game but he did.  He was glad they won!  That's crazy!

I ran to Kent's and as I was walking in, I saw this rock by the door.
It was a painted rock and is part of the our "City Rocks" thing they are sponsoring. You are supposed to take a photo of you holding it and post it on FB and then hide it again or make a new one.  Pretty fun! I have been hoping I would find one while running. I didn't expect to find one walking into the grocery store!  hah

I wore my Boston Marathon BAA jacket to the store because it was raining and even though I am not sure if you should wear them BEFORE you cross the finish line, I did.
Probably should not be wearing this quite yet, but I can't help it!  I LOVE IT!
It was interesting to see the attention it got.  I didn't think anyone would have any idea it was a Boston jacket but as soon as I walked in a guy came up to me and asked me if it was a Boston jacket. He asked if I had ran it and I told him no but I would be in nine days!  He was very nice and so interested and told me his kids run marathons and what an honor it is for me to be running it and he talked on and on.  It was pretty cool. There were several others that were starring at it.  I did not expect that at the grocery store!  lol
Kent's had this strange fruit!  Taylor and Sky have both had it in Brazil and Hawaii.

dear sunday, I got up and really practiced the piano. I have been a slacker and I had to play today and a rather difficult song.  We woke up to snow!
I ended up bearing my testimony in sacrament even though I had no intention of doing so.  But it was one of those times when your heart is about to jump out of your chest and so in order to calm it down, I stood up.  I had no profound story but just simply bore my testimony of the gospel and the Savior.  In Relief Society, I somehow got through the hard song pretty well. I think I must have had help because I made a lot of mistakes at home but did pretty well at RS.  We had our SS training class today. I got told good luck at Boston a lot and got many hugs from peeps wishing me well. This thing is getting real!  We had a super yummy roast dinner thanks to Dave and then I took a little nap.
The deer were hanging out

  We then headed to Gregg's bday party and had some yummy pie.  

dear mckay, we got pictures!  Yippee!  Even if they are mostly of a bunch of fish!  He did send a few of himself, but not enough!  But I am happy he sent any! Love this cute boy!  
Not sure about that sweater!  lol  Putin's head.  I will refrain from the comment I want to add.  :)

The hair cutting process
Russian basketball
 His letter was really cute and he sent me a private one wishing me good luck but it totally made my day!  This is why having boys is so awesome.  True or not, it made me feel good!  He wrote:   

"Good luck at Boston, whenever people  ask me what is going on at home that is the first thing I talk about. By the way whenever people look at my photo album they are always so impressed by how young you look and you have more than once been mistaken for my girlfriend... It is weird to hear but I'm sure it makes you feel good."

Oh, the poor kid!  That must traumatize him!  At least I can laugh about it, but I'm sure he cringes!  Too funny!  He's right, it did make me feel good, but I know photos always make you look younger than in person. Still, it made my whole day!  

dear boys trip to PR, I am STILL finding pix from the boy's trip and some are so awesome I have to post.  Check this out!  WOW!
 I am not sure who is in the waves....but I do know I WISH it was ME!
 Finally some of Bryce!

dear, last but not least!

And just for fun,
If only he were chocolate!!!

These are from the new Paris Temple!   PURPLE stained glass windows!  The entire temple has a purple touch!  Now, I must go back to Paris just to go through this glorious edifice!!!  I don't think I have ever seen anything so beautiful!

Another week in the books!


Nancy Mc said...

I can't imagine the frustration with your planning, booking and trying to get the hotel to honor what you can prove.
Such beautiful pictures of the temple. What a wonderful opportunity. Love the cute running earrings.
You said bounce at PT-but you don't have an ounce to bounce!
I'm very happy that you liked the cookies and took pictures (so I could steal one). I hope you have an amazing time as you enjoy everything about the Boston Marathon.
You look absolutely darling in your Boston Jacket. Best wishes for a great race!

Dawn said...

Lots happening. I'm excited to try your recipe..thanks for sharing. I can't believe your sons mission is almost over. Cool that you see your other boys so often. So much to be grateful for!


Related Posts with Thumbnails