Monday, April 15, 2019

*Monday Memos*

*MONDAY MEMOS*

   
 (If pictures are too small, just click to enlarge) 
Weekly recap of my rather crazy, insane, but fun and rewarding life!


dear monday, I didn't feel well this morning. Thankfully, it didn't last too long.  I was also glad I had to go to PT today so I didn't have to do it at home.  Silly I know.  I listened to several podcasts today. I really love those things.  I went to PT and I got a 3 on my extension!!!  I can't believe it! I have been waiting for that number for some reason for so long and I reached it today!  
I have to get to a -4 to be equal to my other leg, but that will come. Rob even said that I may be graduating from the Fun Station soon!  Hallelujah!  My flexion was at a 147!  That was pretty intense torture to get it there though.  Rob really pushed down hard on my leg today. He pushes on my knee and raises my heel up so it's a double whammy! Holy!  That is so painful.  He asked which is the most painful, the pushing on the bend or the straight. I told him whichever one he is doing to me at the time.  Hah  I really hate both!  I truly can't describe the way it feels. But on a scale of 1 to 10,  I would say both are a 9.  I grit my teeth and my face goes bright red from the pain when I'm doing the wall heel slides as he measures my flexion that way.  One day I will forget how painful this all was and I want to be sure I have it recorded here, because this is no walk in the park.  I can't believe how hard I have had to work to get my leg back.  And I still have so far to go!  I honestly dread it when it's time to measure my flexion.  Measuring the extension isn't bad, just when he has to push down so hard. It honestly feels like my leg is going to crack.  It just doesn't want to budge, but he forces it.  It's like the manipulation surgery.  But, I am tough.  That is one thing that if I ever doubted about myself before, I never will again.  I have endured a lot of torture through this. But, I will never be able to say how thankful I am I have Rob as my PT. He is just so good at what he does and he is always so cheerful and positive. It makes it almost fun to go! And Cindy is always so nice as well.  I have been blessed to have them as my PT team.  Not all PT's are created equal, and I lucked out!  Today when he had me doing the stairs I saw a man in the back of a truck that was being taken to the ER.  He was laying in the bed of the truck crying. I bet he fell off a roof or something, but it made me sick to my stomach to think of the pain he was going through at the time and the pain that will for certain be in his future.  The pain of all this has scarred me for life I think.  I have a hard time watching people that are injured or could become that way. PTSD! It is real! Sad to say, but true.  I did the fun station before I left.  
Here is what it looks like without me on it:
Here is what it looks like with me on it:
Dave and I went to this new Japanese restaurant in town for dinner. It was actually pretty good!  It was fun.  
I tried to catch up on this for a bit even though I should have been practicing my harp since I have my first lesson on Wednesday.  At least I do if it doesn't snow because 
I'm not sure I'm up to driving in the snow quite yet.  That is something that has never bothered me before, but just not sure my ankle reflexes are where they need to be for that quite yet.


Mr. Cat and his cuteness. 


 I was drinking some water and he jumped right on over and acted like he was dying of thirst so I let him try to drink some and he did!  Right out of the glass. Crazy animal!


dear tuesday, today I got my PT done early.  It's so nice when I can get it out of the way so I don't end up doing it before bed. I'm so tired at that point and it takes me almost two hours to do.  I have not missed a single day yet though.  Dave was off today.  I had a lunch with Ayako and Valerie at Old Grist.  It was raining again today.  I am not sure why so many people hate the rain. I love it.  A lot.  We had a fun time.  We always do. I really love these ladies.  We don't talk about frivolous topics, but pretty deep ones and we all leave feeling uplifted.  I am blessed to have been able to work with them in the stake YW.  Val moved out of the stake and Ayako was released and so it's just me in there now without them.  I told them that's not fair. hah
I came home and tried to get some stuff done around the house.  It looks like it is going to rain again for the Boston Marathon again this year.  But, nothing like last year. I doubt there will ever be a year quite like last year!  And today is:
FB post on Boston Buddies page:
In case you weren't aware, today is NATIONAL UNICORN DAY! Here's wishing everyone a "magical" race on Monday! And may you feel the magic of the unicorn by your side each step of the way!


***For those who don't know why the unicorn is the symbol of the Boston Marathon, here is what Jack Fleming the BAA's C.O.O. said, "“The unicorn is a mythological figure that is meant to be pursued, but, in that pursuit, you never catch [it],” Fleming said. “So it inspires you to continue to try — to race harder in the case of running — and though it may be elusive, it really is the pursuit of the unicorn that makes you better and better and better.”
#unicorn #spiketheunicorn #BostonMarathon
https://www.boston.com/…/baa-unicorn-symbol-history-boston-…
#alwayschasingtheunicorn

dear wednesday, it was supposed to snow pretty hard today and so I pretty much decided I wouldn't be going to my first harp lesson (since the accident) because I don't quite trust myself driving in a blizzard quite yet. But, I got up about 5:30 a.m. and no snow. So, I practiced the harp.  Wow, I have lost a lot!  I forgot how much brain power playing that thing takes. I was, however, surprised at how much actually came back.  It's the muscle memory thing. Now if I can just get my quad muscle to remember how to work so my knee will get moving faster back to where it needs to be!  My teacher wasn't there when I arrived. I was heading back to my car when she came driving up the street.  We chatted for a good 20 minutes about everything that has been going on.  Then we sat at the harp and I was so rusty but she was very patient.  And get this, I have a recital in 17 days!  It's a group one and so if I work really hard I think I can get most of the songs back in my fingers.  I haven't decided if I will be in it yet or not.  I will see how things go.  I was there for an hour from start to finish.  I then headed to Costco.  I was there for a lot longer than I planned and had to return some things and I got a few other things.  Including this YUMMY lemon cake!
I was going to head to The Greenery for a Sista lunch, but I would have been late and decided to go visit my parents instead.  I know I will never regret any time spent with them.  I was there for quite a while as well.  My Dad got out the Cheetos, Fritos, Cracker Jacks, nuts, etc. for us to snack on.  He is a hoot. When I got up to leave, my Mom said, "Oh no, don't go yet!" She's so cute.  I arrived home and did some cleaning. I am so happy I am able to finally clean a bit.  Not much, but some. The real problem is stamina and being able to be on my leg that long.  I wish I could bend and squat because that is a real handicap to not be able to do that. I didn't realize how much I do that!  I put together all my harp music that Nanette sent home with me to put together.  It took a long time.
McKay stopped by!  We had a good long chat about his schooling and medical school.  He said his counselor told him that things keep changing as far as getting in to med school and now you need at least 15 non-curricular achievements (volunteer work, leadership, TA's, etc) in order to even get looked at.  That plus straight A's and a good MCAT score. Not sure how they expect these kids to study and get good grades when they have to do all this other stuff.  He is a great kid.  He is probably more driven than the others and he reads so many self help books and is always trying to become better.  He is an amazing young man.  He headed out after I loaded him up with food.  Dave was at meetings.  I worked on catching this up but didn't get very far.  I also worked for a long time on tomorrow's Homemaker's meeting.  We had one of the homes cancel that are set for the home tour so I scrambled and called Julie and asked if she would be willing to do hers. She actually said yes!  And then she said she will have to vacuum first.  I am not sure of anyone that would only have to vacuum to get their home ready for a tour!  Her house does look so cute right now.  I had completely forgotten I hadn't done my PT today and so I started it at 10:30 pm.  I did the shortcut version and finished about midnight.  But, I wasn't about to break my 100% perfect streak of not missing one single day since Jan. 25th.

dear thursday, today I ran a couple errands and then headed to Homemakers for our annual Home Tour.  
The first home was Val V's. They have redone the entire home (except the arches in the photos - they are original from the Ben Lomond Hotel from 1920).  The yard is unreal and a dreamland.  
Then we went to Julie's.  She was so nice to do it and she gave us purple cupcakes.  Mmm....  Everyone loved her house.  
I rode with Karen Jones and Lynda W and Heather R to the rest of the homes.  They were all in Perry.  They were all gorgeous.  
I really shouldn't go to these home shows because it makes me want a new house VERY bad.  I love the kitchens!  I am amazed at how all these young couples can afford such nice homes and even nicer furniture.  After the last house Lynda and Karen decided to go to lunch.  Heather had to get home.  We went to Taco Time.  It was nice to catch up with both of them.  Carson is getting married soon.  It's been a bit tough for her.  I feel bad they aren't having a reception.  He is a great kid.  She brought me home.  
I face-timed with Haylie's kiddos.  They are so stinkin' cute!!!
 Mr. Cat still favors Dave...
We took dinner to Dave's parents tonight.  After we took the  dinner to Dave's parents, Dave decided to make a wok dinner.  He text Taylor and McKay and Taylor was actually on his way home but McKay actually drove all the way here to eat it.  Poor starving college students.  Hah

My new frame came for my Boston Marathon medal and memorabilia.  It had been scratched and so they sent me a new one. It looks really nice.  









I used the old frame for my finisher's certificate.  I took out the scratched part and it looks good.  Check out in the bottom left hand corner. I never noticed until now that it has the weather from the race.  Wind, rain, and cold!  Pretty cool!  

Boston is still looking like the weather is going to be really wet.  It has become quite the discussion on the Boston Marathon Training Page. I have really enjoyed reading it.  It has definitely brought back a lot of memories. I have posted a few of the comments from someone's post because it's history for me that I want to remember.  The discussion is on last year's monsoonathon.  Some of them are quite hilarious!

Shannon Black Pacheco
Is anyone else having slight PTSD symptoms every time you look at weather reports for Boston?? I mean, I can’t not run it, I just don’t know if I’m mentally prepared to go through the same thing as last year lol
  • J Alain Ferry You are not alone. I’ve run 25+ marathons including the last 14 Bostons and last year’s race was just awful. I will be there no matter what, but don’t want to experience anything like last year again. My buddy and I would like to believe we are tough, but we suffered more last year than in any other of the hundreds of races we’ve ever run. It’s okay to be scared—just channel it in a healthy manner and bring your toughest self on Monday.
    3
    • Shannon Black Pacheco J Alain Ferry thank you! Last month I did a 50 mile run across Zion, and about 35 miles was through snow. It took our group 18 1/2 hours to finish, and we ended up going 54 miles because we couldn’t find the trails. We were cold and exhausted. And still last year’s Boston was the hardest thing I’ve done. I’m running Monday, and I’m finishing no matter what!
      3
    • Karen Eastburn Boston was my #25. Epic barely describes that as a milestone marathon.

      Christina Patton Not really because the weather doesn’t even look close to what it was like last year. Not getting what all the hype is about. It’s some rain. 🤷‍♀️
  • Mike Dechnik I was there too with some PTSD for a while, then I reframed it... now I’m sorta looking forward to hypothermia again 
  • Melissa Yelton Shust I was there last year and I would give anything to be back this year! So run it for all of us who didn’t make it back. I was injured a lot last year and didn’t make the cut. Planning to be back 2020!
    2
  • Leiba R Just think of the 7000+ people who would give anything to be there no matter what the weather
  • Megan Thomas Robinson It can't be the same as last year. There is no way it's going to be another monsoon. Try to stay positive!!
  • Kiera Sue This seems a bit exaggerated considering the rain is the only thing similar to last year so far. The wind seems to be from the South versus East and has been ranging between 10 to 15 mph versus 25 mph. The predicted rainfall is 0.36 inches versus the 1.5 to 2 inches last year. And the temperature has been ranging between 42 to 55 degrees Fahrenheit versus the 30 to 40 degrees range it was in last year. If you want a better comparison, look at Boston 2015 conditions.
  • Chris Lowery A low of 50 and a high of 58 with scattered thunderstorms is a FAR FAR FAR cry from 2018s race. This will be a dream compared.
  • Kelli Gledhill Foster I ran this last year and it couldn’t possibly get any worse. I will be prepared this year... I just hope that the Boston Marathon is prepared because last years Athletes Village was unacceptable!!!!
  • Kristin J. Taylor Yes, I have a bit of PTSD from last year. But that's why I am running again this year. It will be better. And if it's not, I am prepared. And I am STRONG! BOSTON STRONG!
    4
  • Kristin J. Taylor It's a privledge to run here! A gift! We will be fine. We are not fighting cancer or bombs that we never saw. Just run. You will finish. Just finish. Celebrate the lives of others. Be prepared and just RUN!!!
    3
  • Louise Barclay Lloyd Owen I’m definitely having PTSD, but am trying to stay positive. I live in Boston and can absolutely say that the weather changes every hour. I ran last year and had to finish at mile 18 bc of hypothermia, so I HAVE to finish this year. I have a knee injury which will slow me down, so the weather makes me nervous too. Let’s all hope and pray (whatever works for you!) that mother nature is in our corner. We need her! Best of luck everyone!
    2
  • Ryan Wrigley One day's regret running this is better than a lifetime regret wishing you had. I will get my 5th Unicorn.
Rob Thompson Predictions call for much less rain than last year. Most runners can handle some drizzle and cool temps. Last year was a steady downpour (nearly 2" of rain!) and temps were 40 or below, with a headwind. Weather looks crappy this year, but comparisons to last year seem a bit dramatic.
  • Cynthia Kubeczka Turner Krystal Lee Buckley.

    what she said! I saw people putting on dry shoes and socks right before the start, last year... it doesnt matter, they were soaked within 15yards! Its all about "intestinal fortitude" ( GUTS!!) Perfect weather days are for Park Joggers!! This is BOSTON!!! TAKE IT , EVEN BY STORM!!!
AndreGary Lombardo Exactly. 2018 was epic. I ran with a poncho the whole time into a sheet of rain and a massive headwind. I was cold for the entire race. And I normally run warm. This year will be a cakewalk in comparison.
Marshall Yeah it sounds like it might be a little cold and wet but it seems dramatic to compare this to last year, especially with 5 days to go. The temperatures will be in the ideal range for running a marathon! Just dress appropriately and be prepared for a little rain and wind. Oh well.
Lee Cunliffe Rob Thompson I got mild hypothermia last year and the wife said I looked and sounded like Marlys ghost when I got to the hotel. (Got my 6 star then as well)
Krystal Lee Buckley Cynthia Kubeczka Turner it was my first Boston after qualifying on my first ever marathon, wasn’t letting the weather stop my from my dream! I won’t lie though I cried happy and sad tears from mile 20-26.2 😂😂😂
Jodi VanDenakker Wilding I ran last year in that monsoonathon and my advice is IF the temp/wind/rain/ is the same do NOT toss your rain poncho because you think it is slowing you down. You will be grateful you have it. I saw so many people picking up discarded ponchos along the course because they had discarded theirs too soon. Mile 26.1 is about the right time to discard! Then SMILE as you run down Boylston! Actually, SMILE the entire course because it will fake out your brain into thinking you are having a great time! Because truthfully, NO MATTER WHAT the weather is....THIS IS BOSTON!!!! And it WILL be a great time!!!
  • I got a lot of likes on that comment.  Because IT IS TRUE!

  • This article was re-posted about last year's "predicted" weather HERE.  PTSD!!!

dear friday, Dave brought me up some breakfast on my new tray. It's so pretty!  He is so nice. 
I had PT early in the morning.  My leg had been pretty stiff and I was pretty sure it wouldn't measure very well and I was right.  My flexion went down to a 144 from 147.  My extension was still at a 3-4.  That's okay.  It will come.  And the weather is most likely a factor as well.  Rainy days tend to stiffen it up. The fun station wasn't as bad as usual until I tried to get my leg off at the end.  Then it is a KILLER!  I will be glad when I am done with that thing!  Rob said I will probably be graduating from it soon.  He said I am the only one on it at the time.  He said he saves it for stubborn extensions. That would be mine.  
How I feel about the "FUN STATION"!

I went to Shopko to check out what they have left. It is closing next week. Taylor was home and so had him meet me there to see if there was anything he wanted.  The clothes are now 70% off. He found a couple of things but not much.  He was hungry and so I took him to lunch to Old Grist and Dave met us there.  Then I headed back to Shopko to finish looking. I got a few things for future Christmas gifts etc.  The wreath I have been waiting to be marked down lower is gone.  Oh well.  Taylor headed back to Logan.  

My friend Tracy is in Holland and sent me these amazing photos of the tulip field she rode her bike through!  SO PRETTY!!!!


This ↑ one I want to do a water color of! I think it's so pretty!

dear saturday, it was a nice day today. I got my PT done early.  I headed to the dollar store to get some Easter stuff. I was in there a while.  I found out Taylor had a basketball tourney for the championship today and he didn't even tell me about it.  Dang kid!  I would have loved to have gone! They were in the final game for the prize money which was $250!  They barely lost. Sky and crew showed up early today.  Chayden is here for a couple weeks.  Carson likes to be by him every minute but he did bring me some "presents".  He's so cute.  Sky went out and helped Dave work in the yard and I was trying to think of something fun to do with Sarah and the boys. I called my mom to come over but she said they would stop by tomorrow.  We just pretty much hung out.  I really should have got something accomplished but didn't have a lot of energy.  I suggested going to Maddox since McKay was working but Dave wanted to make dinner instead.  Then they all went fishing and so I practiced the harp for a good hour or so.  Carson came home early from fishing and so he played the piano while I played the harp.  Too cute.
Taylor showed up this afternoon too.  He brought me a box of Crumbl cookies!  How nice is that!!!
I think it was bribery so I would cut his hair.  It worked!  It's not easy to stand that long, but for a box of Crumbl's I'll do about anything!  LOL

McKay was here as well but working at Maddox. So, I had all the boys here tonight.  Carson decorated Mr. Cat up for a luau and he let him!  HAH

dear sunday, today I headed to church alone because no one else was up.  I didn't think they would make it, but Sky, Sarah, Chayden, and Carson all showed up about 15 minutes late.  I had a lot of peeps come up and talk to me and so I just told the boys to go to Primary on their own.  I talked to Bonnie about her sil who has some health issues and to a ton of other peeps.  I made it to Primary and they were so dang cute. I didn't take my cane today.  YAY!  I did okay.  My leg definitely hurts more without it.  Carson and I took Julie home after.  Dave had a meeting and so we ate lunch a bit later and my parents showed up just as we were about to eat.  I should have invited them but I had no idea when we would be eating.  We had ham and funeral potatoes and rolls.  McKay brought home a double lemon pie from Maddox last night and so we also had that.  


We had fun and played Greedy Granny with my parents and Carson.  It was fun.  

My Dad was pretty happy that Tiger Woods won the Masters today.  It was fun.  Chayden was cute with my parents.  

They left and then Bryce and Haylie came with their littles.  Carson and Brinlee played and I had fun with Liam.  He is such a cute lil' guy.  It was fun having all of them over today.  

Dave decided to make a version of my wok dinner pretty late and so everyone hung out until it was done.  I was ready for bed by 9:30!  

dear random, someone sent this oldie but goodie to Taylor.  Hah!  I think it was 4th grade?  Maybe 5th?  He is in the orange shirt on the left.  Tyler and Josh are also in the front. Good laughs. I think it is the last day of school.  He would have been 11. 

I found this on Dawn's blog and I don't think I posted it before...so here it is.  This was our Christmas lunch this year.  This was only a few days before my life completely changed. And all I thought I was dealing with at the time was breast cancer.  Who would have ever thought the cancer would seem like a cake walk compared to the injury from the accident?

I am not sure where I found this ↓ but it was at Women's conference several years ago and a fun memory as well.
This should be my spring fashion. 

Always!

dear quotes
, Colleen sent me this ↓ Hehe

THIS ↑

A few more of Tony's musings before the big race...
Instead of thinking of his wisdom as it relates to running, I am applying it as it relates to life....

Page 91.
As we draw ever closer.
7 truths about running a marathon.
1. If you are willing to begin, somewhere within you, is the will to finish.
2. Being afraid, well, that happens. Being brave, well, that is a decision.
3. At some point in time, you will be challenged. Knowing that, you should already know what your response will be.
4. You can stress about the impending weather. Or, you can create a climate within you that is impervious to it.
5. Relinquish the need to compare your pace to that of another. You share the same course, but no one is running the same race.
6. If you are not celebrating the journey, you may have lost sight of the goal.
7. The single greatest fuel you can carry is the belief you hold about your capacity to endure.
7 truths about running your life. ~G
#💙💛
As we draw ever closer.
Looking ahead to what awaits us, I looked back to the lessons I took away from Boston ‘18. I think they still apply.
Perhaps you can take away something for your run.
1. You cannot control the conditions you will face, only your response to them.
2. You are getting wet, you are not drowning.
3. The waters may rise, but you know how to swim.
4. It is not hard to find excuses. They litter the road to failure.
5. It's not about outrunning your fear, it's about how you respond when it overtakes you.
6. Difficult happens. Quitting need not.
7. Worrier. Warrior. You decide.
8. An easy path seldom leads to a dream.
9. A foundation built of belief is not easily weathered.
10. Faith cannot be a part-time endeavor.
11. The courage to begin is the same reservoir you visit in order to finish.
12. Remember: you are shrink-proof.
13. It won't always be a fair fight, but you always have a fighter's chance.
14. The greatest human strength: the capacity to endure.
15. Despite what you may think, two options remain: to fight and to survive.
16. There is always, always, always a rainbow. Seek it.
17. The greatest storm you will face is the one raging inside. Learn to find calm from within.
18. Hope is the greatest life jacket.
Perhaps you can take away something for your life. ~G
#takeaways
#💙💛
Page 93.
Essentials for the storm.
1. Knowing: Know this, you are waterproof. Know this, you are going to get wet, it does not mean you are drowning. Know this, you’ve always known how to swim.
2. Realization: Realize, you cannot control the weather, only how you prepare for it. Realize, faith is shelter from the storm. Realize, the storm ends, it is not the end.
3. Endurance: Endure, for every storm passes. Every single one. Endure, for the storm eventually produces the rainbows. Endure, for the strongest of all things weather the storm.
4. Hope: Hope, floats. Hope, is a life preserver. Hope, allows the sun to shine despite the gathering clouds.
5. Resilience: Resilience, for power can always be restored. Resilience, for broken fences can always be mended. Resilience, for the dream can always be resurrected.
Essentials for the storm. Don’t leave home without them. ~G
#essentials
#💙💛
Page 94.
As we draw ever closer.
Truths I know about you.
1. You are more than fragile: Yes, I understand, pieces of you have been made to break. Hearts are made that way. They were never designed to harden. Bones are made that way. They were never designed to handle every stress. And so, both can be shattered. And yet, a broken heart still beats. A broken bone becomes stronger. You were designed with the power to heal. Do not live fearing the brokenness. You are more than fragile.
2. You are learnable: Mistakes get made. Failing happens. Welcome to your own humanness. You are flawed. That is a complete statement. It is all a part of your wiring. But, your greatness does not exist in your perfection. It is born from your capacity to learn from your mistakes and failings. This is what leads to your growth. This is what brings about change within you. This is what propels you forward. You are learnable.
3. You are becoming: Perhaps this is a significant source of frustration for you. That you want to already be. Better. Stronger. Farther. Healed. Complete. Life does not operate that way. Life is the art of continuously unfolding. And there is a beauty and magic to this art. For no matter where you are in the process of unfolding, you are exactly where you are supposed to be. How amazing is that? So do not rush. You are becoming.
4. You are going to be alright: That is how every single chapter in your book has always ended. Always. I know it doesn’t always feel that way. And yet, when a new chapter begins, it is because you made it through. And every single time, it is was the result of you facing a fear, finding a way to rise to your feet, besting a demon, or letting go of what had to go. You will do again what needs to be done. You are going to be alright.
Truths I know about you. Because you are living proof. ~G
#youare#💙💛
Page 95.
As we draw ever closer.
All of this.
Hills
More hills
Speed
More speed
Treadmill miles
Assault bike calories
Rower meters
Ski erg pulls
Early morning alarms
Late night workouts
Weekend miles
Weekday weights
CrossFit
Cross my heart
Crossing days off
Crossing finish lines
Blisters
Bruises
Little pains
Nagging aches
Burpees
Lunges
Squats
Sled drags
Sit-ups
Pull-ups
Push-ups
Just get up
Sweat
Soreness
Tired
Grinding
Heart
Tenacity
Fight
Grit
Rest days
Hump days
Snow days
Run days
One more rep
One more mile
One more try
One more fail
Easy miles
Long miles
Taper miles
All the miles
Days I didn’t want to
Days I couldn’t wait to
Days I didn’t think I could
Days I knew I would
All of that.
So I never have to answer the question, “Why did you quit?” ~G
#noquit
#💙💛



1 comment:

Dawn Ropelato said...

oh Jodi...I love you! You are one of the strongest people I know. You might have things "slow" you down but nothing can "Stop" you! You are so determined to always to more. You inspire me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails