Monday, June 8, 2020

*Monday Memos*

*MONDAY MEMOS*

   
 (If pictures are too small, just click to enlarge) 
Weekly recap of my rather crazy, insane, but fun and rewarding life!


dear monday, I got out on a run/walk but ended up just walking at the cemetery. I took the flowers off Tyson's grave and brought them home to plant (the lillies). I ran into Julie E and Tara and chatted for way longer than I had time for. Haven't been feeling super lately.  I still took on a project that has been bugging me for months. I store wrapping paper under my bed but it has gotten unorganized over the years and so I have been wanting to really get it back in shape. I had to move the box springs and mattress. He-woman here!  Then I took everything out (number one organizing rule) and sorted (number two rule) and then arranged things with like things (number three rule). It took about four hours. I thought it would be a two hour project but I got a little crazy and decided to unroll a ton of the rolls of paper to get rid of lots of the cardboard center rolls. It takes up a lot less space. I got my cmas paper all together and bags and bows etc. Then I did the other stuff. It looks so much better and will be so much easier to manage. I love having that done. It is a weight off my shoulders. I'm in search of more of the plastic containers I have for the Christmas paper. It will look much neater once I find a couple more of those.
I doubt ANYONE has as much wrapping paper as I do!  It's a sickness!  When I see it, I have to look at it and I always want to buy it if it's cute!  I have had to force myself to stop buying it. I guess you could say I collect it because I don't use it very often (aside from Christmas) because I use a lot of gift bags now instead of paper. But I still love it!  Does anyone else our there love it as much as I do?

LOOK WHAT I FOUND UNDER MY BED!  PRICELESS!  Bryce wrote this (I have no idea how old he was) and I saved it forever (as you can see by the dust!), nor do I have any idea what he was apologizing for.  He was always so tender hearted and I am sure it was something really silly. How sweet is this???
I had on the TV while I worked on the paper mess and I had on some documentaries. Easier to listen to while I worked. I had on a Pearl Harbor one and a marathon runner one and then a show called I Shouldn't Be Alive. Holy cow those were intense! Taylor and Dave got home and I made the Korean beef and broccoli etc for dinner. It was good. As soon as I was done eating I had some serious pain and I thought I was getting another migraine but it was in my sinus. I had to go upstairs and just chill. I took some meds and had a hard time sleeping. 
 This little guy makes my heart happy! 
ALL the time!

dear tuesday, Dave says I have a sinus infection. He started me on a Z pack. I took some Tylenol and that helped a lot. I had my harp lesson but was so nauseated I didn't even want to practice. Thankfully that eased up some. My lesson was short because we talked too much. Glissando is coming nicely and Happy Farmer is getting better. I went on a walk after. I decided to go get Carson and take him to see the chalk art downtown. It was fun. 
We then went to Wendy's and headed to the cemetery for a picnic.  He was so excited and hugged me and said, "Thank you Jodi! I love you!"  It meant a lot to him. I'm so glad he lives so close so I can do stuff like this with him all the time.
He needs to get out!  The poor kid has no siblings and no friends to play with nearby. The quarantine has been hard on him. We had fun. We walked around and we sat on a bench and talked and then he played in the canal. He loved it and didn't want to go back. 
 He had a Mum plant that he put in the canal and watched it float down. We used to take the boys and do it with paper boats they made. Dave used to actually float down it himself when he was a kid!
 I thought he was going to go swimming for a minute!  
As we walk back he always says, "We can't forget to do our tradition!"  The "tradition" is knocking on his door and running.  Skyler usually answers and looks around and we run and hide!  Sometimes Skyler out smarts us and sneaks up on us and throws water on us.  He loves it!  I came home and then he showed up with Sky about 30 min later. Sky came to help with the bark. 
Sky and Taylor.
We read books and played with potions and went outside and he squirted my windows! He felt bad. I washed them again. I made meatloaf. We then rode our bikes to Robin's to pick up some stuff and stayed and visited with them a bit. We then rode the bikes to the park. We played on the playground and he took me to PURPLE LAND. haha  So fun. We had to get back for dinner. 
Then Sky had to go get his car that broke down in Layton yesterday and Sarah was still in SLC so he stayed with me. We played more and he rode the tractor for a bit. Sarah arrived about 8 or so and then she had to run keys to Sky in Ogden that he forgot. He was here until almost 10. Fun day
 I have a picture of Dave and Skyler and this exact pose when Sky was about two!  I remember he was in his pajamas and on Dave's lap and waving just like Carson. And, it's the very same tractor!  I need to go find it!

dear wednesday, today I did my Chocoholic Frolic virtual 5K run. YES, I said run!  I ran the entire 5K!  Yippee!  I ran around Pioneer Park because they have a perfect distance of one mile. I flip flopped directions each time. It wasn't too bad. But I wasn't fast. My ankle was hurting by the end which is not good. I ended up limping on it most of the day. 


 And I even found a penny!  THANKS TYS!
 Isn't that the cutest medal EVER!
And of course I had to reward myself with some chocolate!
 Haha!  THIS ↓ made me laugh! It's so true!!!
This ↑ is going to be my NEXT virtual race!  I am pretty excited for the shirt!!!

My FB post:
Happy Global Running Day!
Saved my virtual 5K CHOCOHOLIC FROLIC for today!
But I will run (walk...crawl) for chocolate ANY day!!! 🍫🍩🍪
I came home and showered and then headed to O town to try and find me a dress for Sky and Sarah's wedding. If I can't find one I need to get one ordered online ASAP so it has time to arrive and be altered if necessary. I searched every store I thought might have one. Just Girl Stuff, Dillards, Bliss, Ross, TJMaxx, etc. NOTHING!  Not even anything in the right color. Very frustrating!  Plus all the stores were dead!  The mall was dead. Ross looks like it's going out of business and I KNOW Burlington is even though they say they aren't. There was nothing in that store. Maybe 2% of what they had when I was there for that crazy sale and it's still 50% off. But no lines!  hah  
BUT!  I found MY PROM dress again today and got a better photo of it!  I really should just buy it! No idea where I would wear it (it would have to be made garment friendly), but it's soooooo gorgeous!  I absolutely love it! 
 So far, one of these is probably going to be my dress for the wedding. These are all online. The color would be the top left (light lilac). 
 I came home and ordered this one because it's from Amazon and I can return it if it doesn't fit or I don't like it. The other ones are from a company that I am not even sure it will get here in time.
I hit Target and At Home trying to find baskets for my closet I am going to organize soon. I got a couple but couldn't find what I really want. I was going to hang out and meet the boys at the surfing place, but they changed it to 8 pm and I didn't want to stall that long so I came home.  As I drove in to town, I saw this:
Yep!  Protesters in our little town!  This really has gotten out of hand!
I also saw this!  Pretty cool car!
I made dinner but no one ate any. The boys were gone and Dave had interviews over the phone. It was a hot one! 

dear thursday, went on a walk. My ankle is still hurting and I am still limping so I only walked two miles. BUT, I am STILL smiling!
I went to Kent's to get my Sunbeams some donuts that were on sale for 99 cents and stuff for dinner. Everything seemed way over priced today. No surprise. Everything in the world seems messed up right now. The protesting is still going on but at least here in Utah it's mostly peaceful now. No one is talking about Corona anymore which is odd because the cases are increasing at huge rates now the state has opened up some. Each day there are at least 200 new cases.  Even in our little county it's increased a ton. I came home and showered but should have practiced the harp. But instead I got busy making dinner for Dave's parents. After that I started on the macarons Sarah hired me to make for a Princess tea party here in town she is doing.  I had everything out and ready to go and Carson came be-bopping in. He is so cute. Sky and Sarah were here too.  

How cute is this???  These two have a cute bond.
We visited a bit and after they left I got busy with the macs. The guys went golfing. Unfortunately the macs did not turn out!  UGH!  They are so finicky!  My oven was either not hot enough (the feet spread) and then too hot (they browned!).  So frustrating. I will get up early tomorrow and give it another attempt. It's so great when they turn out...you hear trumpets blaring, but when they don't, you want to stab the little things!
I took some photos of the macaronage process. I forgot to take a photo when I mixed the purple batter of the ribbon swirling (last step) so I did it with the blue. LOL
 My macaron recipe.
Yes, it has been well used!

dear friday, I got up at 5:30 a.m. to work on the macarons because I didn't want them to steal my entire day. They ended up doing that anyway.  For some blasted reason they would NOT turn out! I mean they are the most finicky cookie on the planet, but I can usually get at least one batch to work but not today!  They feet spread, they were under-cooked and then over-browned. I even had a batch actually crack!  
That has never happened in all the times I have made them. The real problem is I have NO idea why!  I am blaming it on my oven this time because of the under cooking and over browning. I tried everything to fix that!  Double cookie sheets, cookie sheet above, lower temp, higher temp, convection, non convection, lower oven instead of top. I even tried parchment paper instead of slipmats. I switched my almond flours after the first two batches failed. NOTHING worked! I was discouraged!  To say the LEAST!  UGH!  These things try my patience like no other!  BUT, I did not want to give up! And I really didn't want to end on a fail.  So frustrating that my tried and true way they have always worked DID NOT even come close today!  I don't think you can have a tried and true way with these little devils! They have a mind of their own!
 FAIL!!!
The colors are too brown!

 And yet, they look SO PERFECT before they are baked!!!
Dang oven!
Thankfully Taylor suggested I lower the cookie sheet I placed on the top rack (to guard against over-browning) closer to the cookie sheet with the cookies on it and that helped!  NO over-browning! But I had to cook them FOREVER to get them done. It was a labor of love and frustration!  I must have said at least 10 times to McKay and Taylor to never let me agree to make them again!  LOL  I have said that in the past and here I am!  I was able to get the amount Sarah needed from the last batch and a few from the other batches to a total of 40 cookies. Crazy considering I probably made 100 or more once they are matched and filled.  Total single cookies, probably 220!  It was a long day!  LOL I was so done with them. But the crazy thing is I still love them!  And I know I will make them again someday!  I ran to Walmart to grab stuff to make cupcakes for the Princess Party the macarons were for because I wasn't sure the macs were good enough. When I got back Sky and crew were heading to Mantua to ride the wave runners.  
These two!  So cute!
While they were gone I was going to make the cupcakes but decided to fill the macs and see if I could actually get enough.  When I did I decided to wait and see what Sarah thought and if she approved I would bag making the cupcakes.  Happily, she said they were great and that I worry too much. I do admit I am a perfectionist and I want them to always be perfect (which is a joke because they rarely are), but when she said they were for six olds, I totally bagged making the cupcakes. Some of the macarons I have seen at weddings and other places are far from perfect. But, I still do have a sense of pride associated with them.  But I was relieved I didn't have to do cupcakes too after an all day ordeal!
 I think the blue ones look like Little Mermaid and since Ariel is one of the princesses for this tea party, it's perfect!

Pat and I delivered treats to our Sunbeams this afternoon and it was so HOT!  We drove them around because we were melting! It was about 95 degrees!  Just getting out of the car and talking to them had us sweating to death!  We were able to catch all of them except Eden. Sawyer came running out and hugged Pat and then looked at me and hugged me. Haha  Ever was so stinkin' cute. Adalyne was swimming and kind of busy but cute. Eden wasn't home. Felix was quiet but happy. Liam was shy but loved his treats and bubbles and we chatted with his parents for a while.
 
I was going to go up and see them on the wave runners but got cleaning instead and finishing the macarons.  We ordered pizza and called it a night.
 Look how gorgeous!!!

dear saturday, today it was super blustery!  It knocked down all my back deck plants and it was crazy. I waited a bit for my walk until it calmed down. 

Mr. Cat likes to wake me up at 3 a.m. and purr and rub his face on mine and make sure he wakes me up so I can pet him. Hmmm....
I had to drop of the macarons to Sarah and so I grabbed Carson and his bike and we headed to Pioneer Park. I wanted him to see the baby ducks. We couldn't find them and then I saw a huge group of ducks gathered and realized it was them!  They were no longer babies!  Just two weeks ago they were tiny!  Now, they are teenager ducks almost as big as the mama!  Crazy!  

 This is his "trick".  LOL 
We also saw a honey beaver (Carson told me that was what it was) and three black swans and lots and lots of moss. You can no longer see through the clear water. We had fun though. We also wrote in the red sand. I wrote Boston as he wrote Carson. He wanted to know why I wrote Boston. I told him because it reminds me of my goal to get back there one day.  He thought that was cool. LOL 

We then went to Seagull Book and then to Walmart to buy him a helmet. He has one but it doesn't work.  It was so fun.  I told him I would buy him a craft while we were at the park and he jumped off his bike and ran over and hugged my legs and said, "THANK YOU JODI!"  He is so sweet!  Sure do love that kid!  I ended up getting him a shark lockbox that he wanted instead. I dropped him off to his house and came home and showered and cleaned and caught up a bit on this. 

Some pix from one of the tea party my macarons were served at:

The rest of the day I practiced the harp, cleaned, organized and honestly can't remember what else.  Dave made smoked ribs and tips for our meal before we began our fast. It was yummy. It poured and poured today! And the wind was brutal all day. Before I hit the hay, I watched an episode of I Shouldn't Be Alive. Not sure why I am so into that now, but I am!  Hah

My heart rock garden!

I saw this quote from C.S. Lewis, from 72 years ago, and thought... WOW! (Replace Atomic Bomb with Coronvirus)
"In one way we think a great deal too much of the atomic bomb. “How are we to live in an atomic age?” I am tempted to reply: “Why, as you would have lived in the sixteenth century when the plague visited London almost every year, or as you would have lived in a Viking age when raiders from Scandinavia might land and cut your throat any night; or indeed, as you are already living in an age of cancer, an age of syphilis, an age of paralysis, an age of air raids, an age of railway accidents, an age of motor accidents.”
In other words, do not let us begin by exaggerating the novelty of our situation. Believe me, dear sir or madam, you and all whom you love were already sentenced to death before the atomic bomb was invented: and quite a high percentage of us were going to die in unpleasant ways. We had, indeed, one very great advantage over our ancestors—anesthetics; but we have that still. It is perfectly ridiculous to go about whimpering and drawing long faces because the scientists have added one more chance of painful and premature death to a world which already bristled with such chances and in which death itself was not a chance at all, but a certainty.
This is the first point to be made: and the first action to be taken is to pull ourselves together. If we are all going to be destroyed by an atomic bomb, let that bomb when it comes find us doing sensible and human things—praying, working, teaching, reading, listening to music, bathing the children, playing tennis, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep and thinking about bombs. They may break our bodies (a microbe can do that) but they need not dominate our minds."
— “On Living in an Atomic Age” (1948) in Present Concerns: Journalistic Essays
dear sunday, it was really chilly when I woke up this a.m. and it was still raining. We haven't had much rain this spring and so it is good. I love the rain and never complain when it comes down hard (with one exception....the Boston Marathon or ANY marathon for that matter unless the temps are warm, then it's welcome!).  
I snuggled in my bed with my heated mattress pad on for a while and didn't really want to get out of warm bed.  I showered and got dressed and headed downstairs and hung out with the boys. We did the sacrament and then I practiced the harp for almost two hours. I practiced my hymns since I rarely get to them. Teach Me To Walk in the Light was like sight reading because it's been so long since I have played it. It seems so much easier than it did when I began learning it two years or so ago but it's still challenging in some places. 
I then went upstairs and tried to rest for a bit. Fasting takes my energy level to about nil and I struggle to do much. Carson showed up not too long after and he was full of energy!  He set the table for us and we had a yummy roast dinner. I then made peanut butter bars and played with Carson in the tent. It was fun and he was in heaven. He was so excited!  
We then headed to Dave's parent's house to play games with the Toone's.  Sadly, Barry had already left, but we still had a lot of fun. Dave's mom and dad came out and we chatted with them a bit. His dad isn't looking so great lately. He looks tired and worn out. We played some game Sam taught us and then a psych game and then Taboo. It was fun. I just love that family!  Oh McKay!  He has us laughing at all times!

It was pouring when we left.  I can't stop eating those PB bars!  So yum!

Here is the recipe:
Lunch Lady Peanut Butter Bars
Ingredients
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 1/2 cups peanut butter, divided
  • 2 cups old fashioned oats
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
Frosting:
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 4 Tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. In a large bowl, cream together butter, sugar and brown sugar together.
  3. Add vanilla, eggs, and 1 cup peanut butter; stir to combine.
  4. Add oats, flour, baking soda and salt and mix until well combined.
  5. Spray a baking sheet (half sheet jelly roll pan that is approximately 17.8 x 12.8 x 1 inch) with nonstick cooking spray and spread out dough in an even layer.
  6. Bake for 15 minutes and remove from oven.
  7. Drop remaining peanut butter by spoonfuls on top of warm bars (I don't use the full 1 1/2 cups but around 3/4 to 1 cup) and spread when peanut butter has begun to melt.
  8. Let cool until peanut butter has set up.
  9. While cooling, mix together frosting ingredients with a hand mixer until smooth and spread on top of bars.
dear random, these guys had their pictures professionally taken in the poppies!  Sarah told Sky she heard a rattle like a rattlesnake and he told there that there is nothing to worry about and it was nothing.  A few days later people were posting that they had found "SEVERAL" rattlesnakes in the poppies and for people to be careful!  Yikes!

dear random,





No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails