Sunday, November 22, 2009

Old friends...

Growing up I had some great childhood friends. Many of them I have lost total contact with, but there are still several that I have kept in touch with over the years...mostly through Christmas cards. I don't see any of them very often, but it is so fun when we are able to get together. The older I get, the more I realize those times are not often enough. I want to try and make those times happen on a more frequent basis, but it seems to be such a huge feat at times.

I was able to get together with one of my dearest childhood friends recently due to what appeared to be an amazing coincidence, though I choose to believe it was meant to be. My Mom's visiting teachers actually arranged this get together for us. It really was a miracle how it all came to be. Somehow my Mom's visiting teachers were also this dear friend's visiting teachers and they miraculously figured out the connection. They set a date and a time and arranged for us to all meet at my Mom's home for a reunion.


I hadn't seen this friend in at least 20 plus years! She moved during our Junior year in high school and though we still kept in touch with visits after we each had our first babies, we totally lost touch after that... with the exception of the yearly Christmas card greeting. I was excited to finally get together again!
Why is it that those that we have such a history with and great memories that go way back, always seem to get pushed in the background of our lives and we lose touch? I don't have the answer to that, but I do have the solution. Just do it! It only takes one of you to PLAN the reunion and if someone is willing to do that then the rest is easy! Everyone else just shows up!
I am so grateful to my Mom's visiting teachers for getting me and my dear friend Barbara back together after so many years. We already have plans to get back together for lunch when we have more time.



















This is Barbara and me. We became friends instantly when I moved to Washington Terrace in the 4th grade. We had some good times together...some REAL good times! Every single weekend we had a sleep over either in her trailer or in my camper. We always did the fun stuff like toilet papering the entire neighborhood (our friend Raylene's mom would drive us around in her camper and wait while we TP'd and then speed off after we all jumped back in the camper!), having a zillion slumber parties, playing truth or dare, going to the movies, cruising the "vard" and meeting boys from all over the state, making fools of ourselves in so many countless ways, taking a school trip to Calgary Canada, taking dance lessons together, babysitting her aunt's kids every Friday in Junior High, terrorizing the substitute teacher in band class, sluffing (with permission) our boring high school class with Mr. Van Velson, and on and on.























When she moved as a junior in high school, she made a big splash at her new high school and was nominated as one of her new high school QUEENS. Can't remember if it was Prom Queen or what. Me and my other friend's piled in my Mom's car (hardly ANYONE had their own car when I was in high school!) and drove up to Morgan High to watch her be crowned. We were so proud of her! I remember on the way home we ended up in a total white out (blizzard!) in the canyon. That was scary!
Moving as a junior was really hard for her as well as for us, her friends. I don't think I would have done it, but she did. In fact, I KNOW I wouldn't have because my Dad actually put our house up for sale at almost the same time and I told him if they were going to move that I was NOT going with them. I made arrangements to live with one of my friends if they did. He took the For Sale sign that day. BUT, it went up the day I graduated from high school! Moving in the middle of your high school years would be so tough, but she did it with a smile.



Here's to good friends, good times, good memories, and good reunions!!! Love ya Barb!!!
<font class=ImageChef
.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more" src="http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/080824/samp53b6ddbd03f2fb39.jpg">

Sidenote: I actually wrote this post almost a year ago and had it saved in my drafts file. I was waiting to find some old photos before I published it. Since writing this we have also reconnected on Facebook too.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails