Monday, December 11, 2017

*Monday Memos*

*MONDAY MEMOS*

   
 (If pictures are too small, just click to enlarge) 
Weekly recap of my rather crazy, insane, but fun and rewarding life!


dear monday, I woke up with a migraine trying to happen.  I was feeling nauseated but I knew the head part was about to hit.  And it did. :(  It was there all morning,  but not the full blown migraine yet. I started to put away my Thanksgiving and I couldn't finish. I had to stop and take a Maxalt. It didn't seem to do much, in fact it started to get worse. But thankfully, it kicked in after about an hour.  Whew. I had too much to do to be down with one of those today.  I spent the day putting up my indoor Christmas.  Always takes longer than I plan, but it wasn't too bad considering I had a low grade migraine all day.
I got my treat basket out again for the delivery guys!
Dave didn't get home until 7 pm unfortunately, but as soon as he did we headed to go find a tree.  It's not as fun to do it without the boys but I am accepting the change and just going with it.  We went to Riverdale first and they didn't have much in the size we needed.  They had a lot that had just got off the truck and hadn't opened their branches yet so we couldn't judge the looks.  We decided to go to their lot on 2nd street to check them out.  Nothing.  Great.  Our only other option was Layton.  I thought no, but Dave said to let's just go.  So off we went.  I text Sky on the way to see if they had already had dinner and wanted to meet us somewhere.  He was at school - actually listening to Barry give a lecture at U of U and then doing a deposition with him after.  So I text Sarah.  Carson had already eaten and so we just stopped by and visited for about 30 minutes.  Carson was so full of energy. I wish I could steal some of it.  He showed me his little Christmas tree and we hung out in his room.  He is a hoot. Their place looked so cute.  Sarah has a knack for decorating.  He cried when we left.... :(
   
This night wasn't living up to tradition and so instead of Village Inn, we went through the drive through at Chick-fil-A.  
It was already almost 9:30 at this point and so we were tired and wanted to get home.  We both go in to O town tomorrow and so I will go check out the trees that hadn't opened up yet and Dave will go get one if I can find one.  I better!

dear tuesday, I got up about 5:30 a.m. and got some things done and then practiced the harp.  
I headed to my lesson and Mackenzie came so we could practice our duet.  She missed her health class so she could.  I decided to do the pedal harp so I could get used to the pedals and she did the lever one.  I seriously struggled with the bass notes because there are so many more strings on the pedal harp.  But wow, does it sound amazing!  There is such a huge difference!  I finally had to mark the lower E and A so I wouldn't keep missing them.  I wish I still had good vision because that is also part of the problem!  Aaaagh!   We finally did okay after an hour of practicing but I am still worried I am going to mess it up!  I hope Mickey doesn't regret wanting to do a duet with me!  
I rushed off to get some things checked off my list. I had several returns and some online in store pick ups as well.  I hit Winco, Hollister, Franz, Ross, Sams, Tuesday Morning, Gordman's, Big Lots, Smiths, and the Christmas tree lot to see if the trees that the branches hadn't rested were better today, but I couldn't even see one tree that I liked. Dave was in North Ogden at his dentist appt. and so he ended up going all the way back to Layton to get the 20 footer!  Yikes!  Oh well, we had no other options.  We need to get an artificial one but the size (height) we need are ridiculously expensive.  Someday maybe I will find a good deal.  I am so tired of shopping online right now that I don't even want to look. I wouldn't get one until after Cmas anyway.  He had meetings and I tried to organize all the stuff I bought.  
Look what I found at Sams!  I was SO tempted to buy them, but that would be dumb when I can make them.  They aren't cheap either!
dear wednesday, I got up and headed out into the tundra!  It was only 13 degrees when I woke up and about 22 when I started my run!  Brrrr......    I ran five. 
It is such a busy time of year!  I worked on Christmas and then made macarons.  I did two separate batches and neither really worked.  The first batch were red ones and so pretty, but I over beat the batter because it was too thin and it spread too much so the shapes were not uniform. I sprinkled crushed candy canes on top and that was not a good idea because they melted into these weird formations.  
The second batch I did green.  The feet on those spread out too far and the tops were hollow.  Fail...  
I read up on some trouble shooting guides and it looks like the culprit to that was the fact that just before I was about to mix the egg whites with the dry ingredients, the doorbell rang. It was the SS Presidency dropping by some bread for Christmas.  They stayed at least 20 minutes chatting and from what I read, if you don't immediately mix the egg whites after they are whipped, they will deflate and cause all kinds of problems.  Yep.  Oh well.  I decided I was too tired to attempt another batch tonight and so hopefully in the morning.  Dave only got 10 minutes for lunch and then didn't get home until almost 7 again.  He had meetings right after that. He never gets any down time.

dear thursday, today is a day that will live in infamy!  And not for the same reason the rest of the nation is thinking.  THREE years ago TODAY (Dec. 7, 2014) Dave was called by an apostle of the Lord (M. Russel Ballard) to be our Stake President.   In some ways it feels like 13 years and in other ways it only feels like a year or so.  He does a good job.  I am grateful he has been able to keep up his demanding work schedule this year and stay on top of his calling as well.  
I got up at 6 a.m. and did another batch of Macarons. I was not going to end it in failure!  Thankfully, these ones turned out.  I added sprinkles to the batter and wasn't sure how that would work, but I liked the effect. 
It was FREEZING again this morning!  Even Mr. Cat refused to go out!  I was about to join him in the boycott of that, but I had a busy day and so I had to.  I got in 4 miles....it would have been longer but our old neighbor Betsy (she's not old- meaning she used to live by us) drove by and honked and started to chat.  Since she was in traffic, she pulled over and by the tabernacle and we had a good long chat trying to catch up some.  
I stopped to peek at the gingerbread entries this year for the contest.  I should have entered.  Next year for sure!  I already know what I want to do!  Now to just find the time to do it before the rush begins!  I really am excited to do one!
I was cutting it close to get to my Homemakers meeting, but I managed to get there on time.  Our party was at the amazing house (The Roses') on the home tour that I loved in Kotter Canyon.  It was so much fun!  We had a huge turnout!  Beth has done an amazing job keeping this group going for so long.  Her husband passed away a couple of weeks ago and so I arranged to take up a collection and then I got her a gift card to Alpine Garden's and a framed photo of her and her husband.  It turned out well. I also modpodged a photo of him on an ornament. Some people thanked me for doing it, but not sure how they felt about the photo. I think it was perfect.
We ate and then had our white elephant exchange.  It gets a little heated some years.  I ended up stealing something from Chris and then this new lady stole it from me and then I stole it back. She was going to steal it back but after three steals, it's dead.  So I got it!  She wanted the bath bomb in it and so I gave it to her.  She gave me the "boob job" kit she got in hers.  Two balloons.  Haha.  It was funny.  
Some of the food
My white elephant (for the win!) on bottom left
We toured the house again, and once again I was blown away by how gorgeous it is for such a young couple.  In awe.  Love it.
McKay and Taylor both showed up to do laundry and study. I sure do love it when they just pop in!
About 5:30 Sky showed up.  No Carson or Sarah.  They drove separate because he had to take his car to get fixed.  Carson was asleep.  But about 10 minutes later he burst in the house full of his usual energy and spirit.  I gave him a great big hug and the first thing he said was, "Do you want to play!?"  That's always the first thing he says.  So cute!  But then he gave me a present. He was so excited to give it to me.  It was the cutest and prettiest purple candy cane ornament I have ever seen!  Seriously so pretty!   Dave still wasn't home but he had a Dr. Bear one for him too.  We played for a bit and then headed to see Santa, Mrs. Claus, and the reindeer at Heritage Dodge. 
It was freezing and so we took our own hot chocolate.  The line was long but we ran into Jeremy and Crystal and their two littles Navy and Yasmine.  We all chatted for a while and I held Yasmine.  Carson was not happy about that.  Hah.  Too funny.  He wanted me for himself.  Then CJ came over and talked to Sky.  It was fun for them to see each other.  At one point we ran over and stood by the fire while Sky waited in line for us.  
Justin P. came over and chatted with me.  He works there.  He was very nice.  So crazy to see all my SS kids all grown up and married.  He's a good kid. Then we FINALLY got to see Santa.  Carson was hilarious!  He covered his face with his hands so Santa couldn't see him.  It was so funny.  He wouldn't take his hands down and so I said, "If I come and sit by you, will you take your hands down?"  He said he would so I got to sit on Santa's lap too.  I was going to anyway!  hehe  
Add caption
Dave with his Dr. Bear ornament Carson gave him.
Playing together after
Then the boys all helped get the HUMONGOUS tree inside and set up. This one is a new record I am sure!  They had to cut TWO feet off of it too.

dear friday, I got up and got in three miles.  It was chilly!  I spent most of the day wrapping presents.  I wish I could remember what else I did, but I'm writing this way after the fact and so I honestly can't remember much of today.  
I did take around a birthday gift to one of the ladies I VT.

dear saturday, I woke up feeling really nauseated.  I was afraid I had another migraine trying to burst through again.  I got up pretty early (6 a.m.) and started working on the calendars.  Ugh.  Taylor was here and he was studying his little brains out.  I wasn't sure what to do about my run, but I knew there was no way I could run feeling like I was.  I really just wanted to be in bed, but  'tis the season' and so there was no way.  Too much to do and the time is drawing nigh!  So I kept working on that dang calendar. I finally had to take a break because it gets to me after a while.  Dave was gone all afternoon at church stuff.  We had the Nathan Pacheco concert tonight and I was not sure how I was going to sit through all that the way I was feeling.  Dave said to try and sell our tickets on Facebook. I did.  No response.  I told him I would be okay.  We met everyone at Cafe Sabor.  Those that went were the Hipps, the McCarreys, the Olsens, and the Herzogs.  The food was meh.  I actually ate my enchilada even though I hadn't been able to eat all day. I didn't think my stomach could handle anything but the Advil I took on the way up, kicked in and I started to actually feel a bit more human.  
The waitress had a hard time getting everyone in.  Hah
We headed to Logan High for the concert.  It was so cold in Logan!  I ran into Barbara (a friend from AMI) and we chatted a while and then I ran in to the Cox's. This was all while Dave was parking the car.  We also saw the Jenks.  Anyway, the concert was amazing!  Madelyn Paige was the opening number and she was fabulous. I got a photo with her during intermission so I could send it to Aubrey.  They sound a lot alike to me.  Nathan was amazing!  I have never heard him and so I was planning on not being impressed, but it didn't take long to see how incredibly talented he is.  Wow!  Troy got our tickets and we thought we were paying $78 each for them and so we were a bit unhappy about that since we had never heard of him.  It ended up being $78 for both of us.  That was better.  It was a very good concert.  I am glad I started feeling better enough to enjoy it.  

dear sunday, I wasn't feeling great when I woke up, but a bit better than yesterday and so I got up about 5:30 a.m. and kept working on the calendar.  I needed to get it done before midnight so I can get the 50% discount.  The things we do to save $5-10.  Hah  I got a lot of it done and then made bath bombs for my party tomorrow.  They turned out great.  
I then headed to church.  I was hoping I would be able to last the whole block and I actually started to feel a lot better.  Blessings!  We get a new group of kids for SS in three weeks.  There are about 13 kids!  We got the new list and on the top was the date Jeannie and I were called.  I was called on 10/10/10.  Cool date, but that means I have been in this calling for SEVEN years!  I have never served in a calling for that long before!  I am not complaining, but holy cow!  Jeannie started one month before I did.  We are the oldies I guess!  Holli wanted me to rub her arm as she always does.  She is so cute.  
We were matchy matchy!
I had teacher development during the RS time.  I was starting to feel sick again.  McKay was here for lunch. Dave made us a pork roast.  After we ate, we decorated the tree.  I was starting to feel really sick again and I just wanted to go to bed for the rest of the day.  But, I knew I had to get that tree done.  I strung all the ribbon stuff and McKay put on the star and that made me very nervous.  Not sure how good his balance is and he's a big kid.  I decided I would do the ladder and the high ornaments because I would really be sick if he fell.  We needed Sky here to straddle the window ledges and do it. That was always his job.  I can't believe we let him to that!  It took about 2.5 hours.  Boy, was I glad to have that done!  Whew.  
But I still had miles to go before I slept.  I got back to work on the calendar and stuck with it until it was done.  I clicked SEND about 10:30 pm and so I even had time to spare. There have been some years, when I was right on the deadline.  I was beat.  I was so happy when I crawled in my warm bed.

dear mr. cat, I can't get over how cute you are at times!  I love how you hugged my purple bear and cuddled him in your paws just holding onto him so tight!  
Sleep in heavenly peace....

dear random, a photo of the gorgeous snow this week....
PURPLE blueberry muffin toast!  SO SO SO good!  But please tell me WHY they are called BLUEberries?  They are clearly purple berries!
Recipe for my Raspberry fudge....just so I'll have access to it somewhere if not home.
LOVE this!






No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails