Thursday, February 25, 2016


Sometimes life gets in the way of life. 

I'm sure you know what I mean. 

It's when you experience a series of unexpected events that push their way into your series of expected events.

That has been my week.'s not even over yet!
It started out on Sunday when I backed our new car right into a snowmobile trailer that the boys had parked in front of the house. It did some nice damage to the back and side of the car.  Did I know it was parked there?  Yes.  Did I remember it was parked there when I backed my car out?  No.  Our mechanic text me today to get some information for a part he is ordering.  He asked me if our car has back up sensors on it. He asked, "Does it beep when you get close to something?".   I wasn't sure how to respond.  I wanted to say, "Um, NO.  IF it did then I wouldn't have backed up into something!"  The truth is, I'm not 100% sure.  Did it beep?  Did I just not hear it or not notice it?  I pray that it doesn't have back up sensors.  If it does, then I should revoke my own license.  I was trying to get to church on time.  All I heard (in my head) was, "You are going to be late and you are setting a horrible example for everyone if you are."   

I was on time.

Backing out of my driveway into something isn't a new thing for me.  It has happened more than I care to admit.  I once backed up into Bryce's friend's truck.  I did some pretty good damage to his truck.  I have backed up into Dave's SUV once and into my boy's cars several times.  Everyone knows if you park behind Jodi you risk getting hit.  I am missing some part of my brain that prevents me from doing that. 

I also dropped my iPhone and shattered the screen.  It has a LifeProof case on it.  It is supposed to protect it from cracking if you drop it.  I dropped it.  It cracked.  A lot.  I was going about my business as usual, but I dropped it.  It will cost more than I want to think about to fix it. It's not the first time for that either.  Thus the reason for the LifeProof case.  A lot of good that did me.  

I also forgot my friend's son's Angelversary.  He has been gone about 12 years and I have never forgotten it.  The problem is each year on his Angelversary I take them a big pan of Chocolate Ecstasy.  She in turn brings us one on Tyson's Angelversary.  She didn't forget this year.  Nope.  I did.  I just now remembered and it was almost a week ago.  I feel sick inside!  Sick!  About six months ago my phone calendar dumped everything from it...and I mean everything!  My life was on that calendar.  Birthdays, anniversaries, events that only come once a year, and BJ's Angelversary.  Usually someone would post something about it on Facebook, but I haven't been on Facebook much the past week or two and so if they did, I missed it.  I feel like I let her completely down.  We are always telling each other that just knowing that dessert is coming makes that day so much easier to get through.  We both look forward to it every single year.  This year, she looked forward to it and the doorbell never rang.  It never came. The day came and went and still nothing.  The week came and went and nothing.  I think I may go back to my hard copy planner.  It never let me forget important things.

The grand finale of this week came today when I was in the middle of my harp lesson.  I could hear my phone beeping away.  I knew it was a group text of some kind because it kept beeping.  I usually turn it off, but forgot today.  I ignored it.  When I got done with my lesson, I checked my phone and saw that it was from my Sista feed on Facebook.  That isn't uncommon.  Sometimes someone will post something and then everyone will chime in with something or a cute sticker so I didn't really think much of it and I was busy driving and running errands.  About an hour later, it beeped again and so I decided to glance at it again and I just saw the first part of one of my friend's messages and it said, "Oh that is just awful!"  Once I read that I knew something bad had happened but I wasn't sure I wanted to know.   I opened the feed and read back through all the messages to the first one that informed us all that our dear friend Robin had a massive heart attack and was in the ICU at McKay Dee.  My heart sank.  She has been struggling with some health things for a while.  She has been doing so well, but then this.  It hasn't even been a year that we lost our other friend Davaleen to a massive heart attack.  And we lost Gina to cancer a few years ago.  

I didn't have a lot of information other than she was lucky to be alive.  Very scary.  I was feeling blessed that I was in town so I could go see her. Kathy and I paid her a short visit.  She told us the story and she is truly lucky to be alive. If she hadn't got to the ER when she did, she would never have survived it.  It wasn't her time to go is the only explanation. They took her to surgery for four hours and she said they didn't put her to sleep during the procedure (stint to unclog her artery) and they put in a pic line and more wires and tubes in her groin and arm and other places.  I am not sure how she lived through that!  I really can't imagine the pain she went through.  But she was in a good mood and making us laugh as she always does.  She said it was because she just had her pain meds and so she was feeling pretty good right then.  I felt so bad for her.  I am so grateful she is alive and hopefully going to be okay.  But she is way too young to have suffered such a severe heart attack.  I am sure the road to recovery is going to be long.
Lunch with Robin and the Sista's last week...  Robin is the middle in the bottom right photo.

Sometimes it gets in the way of life. But I guess the getting in the way IS life.  

Sometimes it gets in the way more than others.  But one thing I know for sure is that I am grateful for this life.  I am grateful that I wasn't hurt (or anyone else) when I crashed the car.  I am grateful even though I dropped and cracked my phone and it lost all my calendar events (important ones) that I still have a phone so I can know immediately when things happen (even things I might not want to know).  I am grateful I have friends who understand that life gets in the way of life even when you don't want it to.  But mostly, I am grateful I have this wonderful life to live.  No matter how much it gets in the way of itself.


Dawn said...

Life is constantly changing things up for us. We become great at juggling and being flexible! I am so glad Robin is okay. My heart was heavy all day! I'm glad you were able to go see her. I probably could of but knew her long time friends were there for her and so I just went along with my day praying for her and all of you great friends!

Jodi Wilding said...

I'm so glad too! What a scare!
You are just as important of a friend
to her as we are that grew up with her. I'm glad we could go visit together today!

Audrey said...

What an awful week you had! So glad that your friend is doing okay. How scary!
I knew that you would feel awful when you discovered you had missed BJ's angelversary, that is why I didn't tell you. I didn't want you to feel bad. But thank you, thank you for caring so much. I have devoured the chocolate - totally blown my diet, and have eaten almost the entire thing by myself.

Loraine said...

Oh Jodi, I'm so sorry to hear of all of your stress lately! So much of "life" can be difficult when it comes at you all at once! You are a great example of gratitude for trials and I am learning (the hard way) that surrendering all of our stresses and toxic waste to Christ, helps us to align with him. Not only is that freeing, but he has an amazing ability to bring peace into our lives, which is the ultimate gift when life is hard!!
Big hugs to you and Audry. I love your Angelversary idea!


Related Posts with Thumbnails