Saturday, April 26, 2008

Dilemma

As some of you know my cousin Shelley passed away this past week. She was an amazing lady and everyone who knew her loved her. She had MS for the past 30 years and has suffered greatly. She was in constant pain, but yet she still had an amazing attitude. She was the kind of person that you went to visit to cheer her up and she ended up cheering you up! She always focused on others and never herself. Her favorite thing to say was, "Have a Great day! " She loved life even though she was trapped in a prison of a body. She had been bed-ridden for many years and had to depend on others to do everything for her. Still, she cherished life and each day she had.


She passed away on Tuesday and her youngest daughter was in Mexico because she was getting married there on Thursday. Her other two daughters were also going to Mexico to attend the wedding. They decided to go ahead with things as planned knowing that is what Shelley would want. And knowing Shelley she probably planned it that way just so she could be at the wedding even if it was just watching from above!


They don't get back until Sunday and so the viewing is going to be Monday night and the funeral on Tuesday. Her children asked me to speak at it. I am honored and very humbled to be asked. The dilemma is I am leaving for Hawaii on Monday. I don't know what to do. I do not want to miss this funeral. Shelley was like a sister to me. Should I just go as planned or should I try and change the flight and catch up with the rest of the group a couple days later? A dilemma for sure. I decided to at least try and see if I can take a later flight so I can be here for the funeral. Dave got on the phone and made several phone calls and found out that we can go later. I thought maybe we would have to pay $100 change fee or something in th
at neighborhood. Nope! They want $2000 per person to take a flight out two days later! Can you believe that? INSANE! I was shocked AND angry! How can they get away with that? That is just pure wrong. But, at least it made the decision much easier. I am going to go to Hawaii on Monday as planned and I am going to have my oldest son read my talk at the funeral for me. Not what I wanted, but I know Shelley would not want me to spend $2000 to stay. It would actually be $4000 because we would also have to change Dave's ticket as well. Has it always been this way? Wow!

4 comments:

Sal-Mal said...

That is unreal! Have a great time. So sorry about your cousin.

Jen said...

You're really making the only choice you could! I hope you have a great time! Soak up some sun for all of us here! It will probably snow while you're gone!

Nancy Face said...

I'm so sorry you've been faced with this dilemma! From what you write about sweet Shelley, I believe she would want you to go ahead and enjoy your trip as planned. I'm sure your son will do a wonderful job reading your talk for you.

Have a fun and safe trip! :)

Yvonne said...

Don't get me started on the airlines. I agree with nancyface--from what you're written about your cousin, she would want you to go ahead and enjoy your trip.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails