Friday, August 30, 2013

A Book You Could Read Over and Over Again and Never Get Sick of It - Day #18


Blog Challenge - Day 18
~A Book You Could Read Over and Over Again and Never Get Sick of It~


I knew I had to hurry through this post because if I didn't then I would spend way too much time thinking of all the books I LOVE and I would never be able to choose one!  My favorite books are historical, non-fiction, self help, biographies, and religious books.  I do read fiction, but I enjoy non-fiction the most.  Well, even with a rush post, I can't choose just one.  But, I did narrow it down to three four!

First of all, the book that became my parenting Bible is The Power of Positive Parenting by Dr. Glenn I. Latham.  This is a life changing book for parents and should be REQUIRED READING before you even become parents and definitely after you do.  This little book is packed with the most amazing principles that WORK! I have read and re-read and re-read this book (more so when my boys were young), but there is not a parenting problem that isn't answered in this book.  I was always amazed at how the things in this book work if applied.  It was truly almost like magic.   

Sadly, Dr. Latham passed away several years ago and he no longer lectures (I must have attended 10-15 of his presentations!), but his book is still being published.  You might have to get it online, but whatever you do, DO!  

Dr. Latham asked me to write an endorsement for this book when I was the Utah Young Mother in 1994, and I was very  happy to do so!  It is still on the back cover of the book.  He also asked my husband and I to read and edit his book, "Christlike Parenting", which we were more than happy to do.  He was an amazing man and I got to be very good friends with him and I admired and respected him deeply.  

He also asked me to be in his infomercial about this book and it was such an honor to be part of that.  We filmed it at Sundance and it was such a great experience for me.  The infomercial aired mostly out of Utah and I never got a chance to see it.  But just being a part of it was enough for me.

The world lost such an incredible man when he passed away.  Luckily his words and teachings live on!  EVERYONE THAT IS A PARENT OR WORK WITH CHILDREN NEEDS THIS BOOK!  I have a degree in Child Development and Family Studies, but I learned more from this book than all of that education combined!

I have a link on the side of my blog for free online courses on this book.
HERE it is again.




Another must read book for everyone, is The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom.  

I have read this book many times as well and I will read it again.  There are such amazing life lessons in this book about the power of gratitude and forgiveness and this book will change you.  It will make you appreciate the gift of life and be grateful for your blessings.  What an awesome book!




And last, but surely not least, I must include The Book of Mormon. There is an incredible power of the spirit in this book that comes the second you open it up.  It is a historical account of ancient people with all of their incredible journey's and trials and conversion to Christ and the Gospel.  I would not be who I am today if it wasn't for this book. I have read this book many many times and it is a book that I like to read from daily.  It blesses my life when I do and helps me to be better person and more Christlike.  This one is number one on my list of must reads!
 

Okay, I am going to do a bonus book because I just can't leave this one out!  It is called While Others Slept  a biography about Ellis Shipp M.D.  This amazing woman (1847-1939) was the first woman doctor in Utah. She founded The School of Nursing and Obstetrics.  She bore 10 children (six lived) all while having a successful medical career.  She was married to a polygamist and the story is just so enthralling of what she went through.  She successfully combined motherhood and a medical practice, saying, “It is to me the crowning joy of a woman’s life to be a mother.” In her 50-year medical career, she delivered more than 5,000 babies—and led the School of Nursing and Obstetrics in training five hundred women who became licensed midwives.  It is really an enlightening book and has always been one I could read over and over.  Sadly, I loaned it out to someone who never returned it.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails