Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Your Views On Mainstream Music - Day #16

Blog Challenge - Day 16
~Your Views On Mainstream Music~




Well, I really didn't have any interest in answering this challenge.  That is until the unbelievable debauchery I witnessed on Prime Time TV a couple nights ago.

Yes, you know exactly what and who I am referring to.  But just in case, her name rhymes with "Wiley Pyrus".  

Actually, thankfully, I didn't "witness" it.  I read about it the next day and saw a short video clip of the raunchy performance.  I was so grateful I had not been exposed to such lewdness while watching it live on TV or I'm sure my jaw would've dropped so hard that I would have injured myself.  At least I had some warning what was coming before I saw the short clip... (not short enough though!)

I was going to write a little bit more about how disgusted I was that a role model for young girls would stoop so low for whatever reason, but I have decided she has received enough publicity and I really don't want to add to it other than to say she took the term "class" down another notch.  I do have to add I feel sorry for her that she has so little self respect for herself that she has to use shock in order to get publicity.  Enough said on that...

I am assuming by mainstream music, that it means the most popular music at the time.  As far as that goes, I rather enjoy most music.  I have quite an eclectic taste when it comes to music and there isn't too much that I don't enjoy....other than rap and heavy metal.  I grew up listening to Johnny Cash and Glen Campbell and all those old country tunes and so I will always love those.  My first concert was The Bay City Rollers.  Woo-hoo!  I think I was in 6th grade.  I have not been much of a concert goer though.  I could probably easily list all the concerts I have attended in my life (that is IF you don't count all the school choir or band concerts I have attended!).  The ones that come to mind right off the top of my head are: Andy Gibb, Seals and Croft, Ambrosia, Liberace, Donny Osmond (several times - thanks to Audrey!), Donny and Marie, Josh Groban, Liza Minnelli, James Taylor, MoTab............ I'm sure there's a few more.  I have always wanted to see Celine Deon, Barbra Streisand, Barry Manilow, Elvis, Michael Jackson, The Beatles, Tim McGraw and Faith Hill and so many others perform as well, but it's just not something I do very often. 
I had never been a huge fan of classical music until I studied about the effects it has on our brains.  I took several classes and read a lot of books on the subject.  I taught several classes at women's conferences on this subject as well and I tried to instill in my boys when they were young the power that music has on our minds and learning capacity.  I used to make them listen to Handel's Water Music as they did their homework and I made them practice the piano in the morning before school so the right and left side of their brains would both be open and ready to absorb what they were taught at school. There is a lot of research that has been done and there is scientific proof that certain classical music (especially Mozart) can make you smarter.  Check this out here.

I also never loved bluegrass until I was in college and made the Folk Dance Team and we would perform our clog dances to bluegrass.  Now I really like the stuff.  

I can now say I even love old time cowboy music thanks to the Bar J Wranglers.  How can you not love that stuff after attending one of their shows?  I think I have seen them perform probably at least 30 times or more.  They are also good friends of our family.

I guess I love the mainstream stuff the most.  One Direction, Taylor Swift, Jason Mraz, Michael Buble, Adele, Carly Rae Jeppson, Miley Cyrus (puke), Luke Bryan, Taio Cruz, Carrie Underwood.... but I'm still a huge fan of the oldies too!  Especially music by Elvis, Elton John, Michael Jackson, Billy Joel, The Carpenters, Nat King Cole, Luther Vandross, Frank Sinatra, Stevie Wonder, Doris Day, Barbra Striesand...okay I'm stopping or I'll go on forever!
Suffice it to say, I love music!  Music is powerful!  It is one of the most powerful forces in the world.  It can instantly change our mood for the better or worse.  Songs can bring back memories in a tiny instant.  Music can help us to learn quicker (think ABC's song), it can heal us in so many ways, it can bring the spirit into our souls instantly.  It can motivate us so we can work harder or faster.  I would not be able to run as far as I do without my playlist!  I depend on the beat of those songs to keep me strong and moving.  It makes such a huge difference for me when I run.  It gives me energy I lack!

I always have music on in my car when I am driving and an earbud in my ear while running.  If I have a big overwhelming project to attack, I crank up the rock and roll and it helps make it easier.  Music is a gift. 

I truly believe the right kind of music can create peace and is sometimes the only thing that can reach deep into people's souls and help them see truth.  
In honor of this post I am going to post a few music videos on here that I love.    

  

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails