Saturday, October 12, 2013

What a difference a week makes....


The title says it all.  Last week I had possibly thee best run maybe in the history of runs for me.  At least it was right up there in the top 10.

This week I had the absolute worst run in the history of runs for me. I can easily place it in the top 10, because it was numero uno!   

Last week's run felt so amazing. I was only going to do a short 3 or 4 miler and ended up going 7, which would have easily turned into a 10 or 12 miler but I had already planned a long run with a friend two days later and so I didn't want to over do it.  But I felt like I could run forever effortlessly.  That rarely happens.  But when it does, it's magical!  I felt light as a feather and felt that I was just sailing through the air.  My lungs felt great, my entire body felt wonderful.  No pain anywhere.  No complaints.  Just the feeling of, "THIS IS WHY I DO THIS!", floating around in my mind over and over.

Fast forward exactly one week.  I had set out to do a 10 miler and wasn't set yet on my course.  I wanted to run my hilly course because I am training for a half marathon in a couple of weeks that is hilly.  But it's on a highway and Dave told me that it was dangerous and so I gave into him and choose to do a different route that I had only run one other time and only a five miler.  I got out later than I had hoped, but took my 12 oz. water bottle and a few Shot Bloks and sports beans along in case I felt I needed them. I parked my car near the Bird Refuge and headed out.  I was wishing I had taken some Tylenol before I left because I had a headache that just seemed to linger on. 


The run really started out slow.  The course was very boring down a road that is mainly a bird refuge road with very little traffic.  That was what I was looking forward to.  What I didn't realize is there is absolutely no shade on the entire course.  It was getting really hot and I was sweating a lot.  I turned around at mile 5 to head back and run the other 5 miles.  At this point my water was gone.  I was wishing I had hid some along the way.  There are no houses and nothing out there but wilderness.  I watched a few cranes take flight and do a fancy show me mid air which I enjoyed.  I stopped to take a few shots for the yoga/runner challenge I am doing on Instagram since I thought I had some great photo backgrounds and so I set the timer on my phone camera and took some.
Once I took the shots, I was approaching mile 8 and I started to feel extremely weak and my muscles were cramping feeling like I had just completed a full marathon.  That is not something I have ever experienced in an easy training run before.   I allowed myself to walk for a bit even though that thought digs deep into my pride.  I have nothing against anyone who walks, especially on a training run in this heat, but it's still a pride thing for me.  I was determined to start running again, but my body disagreed with my intent.  I was really wishing I had some water at this point.  My head was splitting and I felt all fuzzy brained.  I decided I would walk until mile 9 and then kick it in gear for the last mile.  

Nope.

Wasn't happening.  My mother called me right then and if I had been running I probably would have not answered it and just called her back after I finished but since I was just walking I answered.  I told her how I was feeling and of course as my mother she was very worried.  She offered to come and get me even though she lived 30 minutes away and I was only 2 miles from my car.  I told her I would be fine but she wouldn't hang up until I made it safely to my car.   That was the longest two miles of my entire life!  I didn't think I was ever going to get there.  My body felt like it was shutting down and I wasn't sure I was going to be able to even walk.  I wanted to crawl!  I really wanted to collapse. All of my training and race experiences surface to the top of my mental game when I'm struggling.  I won't allow myself to quit no matter what.  I am determined that I will finish!  I will not just sit on the road and die.  I will get to the end of this distance.  

No. Matter. What.

Yeah, all those things that should be thrown out the window when you are in this state!  But no..........  My head is always stronger than my body!   But my mom kept talking me through it and I eventually got close to my car.  I was going to take a short cut through some weeds but then saw a barbed wire fence and so that nixed that idea.  I just didn't have the strength to safely maneuver the barbed wire where normally it wouldn't have been a big deal.  I did not think I was going to make it those last 100 yards to my car.  It was such a great moment when I actually did!  I hung up, got in my car and just sat.  I barely had the strength to get to the water bottle I had in my car.  Once I did, I drank it down even though it was HOT water!  But I knew I had to get some fluids in me.  At least I had the clarity of thought to know that!  I just sat there for about 10 minutes unsure if I dared drive myself home in such a state.

What I didn't have the clarity of thought to think of was to call Dave to come and get me BEFORE I walked those last miserable two miles!  No idea why I didn't just think of that. He was working, but he was only 5 minutes away and could have easily left. He let me know that's what I should have done as soon as he saw me when he got home for lunch.  Instead of thinking to call him, all I could think of was that now I was going to have to get in another long run this week because 8 miles wasn't enough to count as one.  I also was pretty sure I would bounce right back once I got some Gatorade in me and got my electrolytes balanced.  My face was covered with a white frost from all the salts and other minerals I lost.  

I really felt like crapola!  I didn't even have enough strength to get in the shower. All I could do was just lay there.  So that's what I did.  For about two hours until Dave got home.  As soon as he took one look at me he told me I was dehydrated and had heat exhaustion.  All that coupled with it being 'that time' were the makings of the ingredients for the perfect storm.  He was more than a little concerned at the sight of me and got me some Tylenol and Celebrex and tried to get me to eat something.  I didn't really want to drink anything or eat anything.  So I just rested for another couple of hours and finally got in the shower.  I felt a little better but couldn't do anything.  All I could do was just rest.  So I turned on the TV and tried to sleep.  

It was a long night.  Had a hard time sleeping.  But the next morning, I felt even worse.  By that night I was feverish and had chills.  Another long night. I knew I'd be fine by the following day, but I was still feeling like I'd been hit by a semi.  Everything ached and hurt.  I couldn't get rid of the headache no matter what I took.  Today is the fourth day and I am still weak and have zero energy.  That is why I am sitting here blogging.  This is all I have the strength to do!  I had NO idea it would take this long to recover.


 



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails