Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Mae and Ed (aka my grandparents)

 
These are my maternal grandparents. Evelyn Mae Sharp Poppleton and Edward Castle Poppleton.
I have many great memories with them. Mae (we called her that instead of Grandma) used to send me penny candy in a little brown bag and ruffled underpants when we lived in Reno. I loved it when she visited us. When we moved back I loved to clean her linen closet. Her bathroom had a pink sink, toilet, and tub. She had a tiny house. I used to get in her bread drawer and grab a piece of Wonderbread and sprinkle sugar on it and roll it up and eat it. She took me to ZCMI shopping and then we would eat lunch in the Tiffin Room. I always got a hamburger and chocolate shake. She had a great sense of humor and was very feisty. I loved her dearly. After my grandpa died and she got sick (gout and then had a stroke), I stayed with her to make sure she was okay for an entire summer. I loved getting her pretty pots and pans out (they had flowers on them and pretty designs - I got that trait from her), and I would take them in her living room and go behind her side table and set up a little kitchen. I loved playing that. She was a great lady. She always dressed so nice and smelled so nice. I remember when Tyson was very sick in the hospital as an infant, I was in a room pumping and I could smell her. I believe she was with me during that hard time.

My grandpa Ed (we called him Eddie Bone) was a huge tease. He would stuff paper towels in my shoes and I would find them before I left to go home. He also would run his hand over the top of my head and tell me there was spider in my hair. I would freak out (of course!) and get mad at him. He would just laugh and laugh. He was a fun guy. I remember he would drive for miles to find the cheapest gas.

I loved them both dearly. Sadly, they passed away much too soon. I believe Ed died in 1975 and Mae in 1977. But, I am so grateful I had them as long as I did. They were amazing people. I truly miss them.
These are my grandma Mae's parents.
Delwin and Violet Grieve Sharp

 My parent's wedding photo


 I found this ↑ on the Family Search website. My grandma and aunt are in it.

This is my grandparents on the left. Mae and Ed with my mom's sister Sharon and her husband Lothar.

 My mother Suzanne Poppleton VanDenakker

My father Charles Dean VanDenakker

This my my dad's father Ira VanDenakker on the top left. He is with his siblings and parents in this photo.
THis is my dad's mother Helen Stephenson VanDenakker Francis. I need to find a better photo of her.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails